Hillsborough (Sheff Wed away)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who’s looking forward to this one?

Saturday afternoon, team playing well. Should be our biggest away crowd of the season.

Recommend drinks in the Sheffield Tap or Head of Steam before taking the tram from the city centre up to Hillsborough. There is another high street with independent bars and restaurants etc near the ground. Also a nice park and walled garden for those who like that sort of thing.
hookyrobin
Hopefully it goes ahead. It's the international break weekend - the fixture computer stitching us up again this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
hookyrobin wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 17:48 Hopefully it goes ahead. It's the international break weekend - the fixture computer stitching us up again this season.
Didn’t know that. Better not cancel it. I will go to the rearranged game if they do but won’t be the same.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who’s looking forward to this one?

Saturday afternoon, team playing well. Should be our biggest away crowd of the season.

Recommend drinks in the Sheffield Tap or Head of Steam before taking the tram from the city centre up to Hillsborough. There is another high street with independent bars and restaurants etc near the ground. Also a nice park and walled garden for those who like that sort of thing.
I'm sure Sheffield has much more to offer than bars.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 18:58
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who’s looking forward to this one?

I'm sure Sheffield has much more to offer than bars.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
It does, as well as the park I mentioned there is the Botanical Gardens to the west and the Winter Gardens in the centre as well as the great city centre square and peace garden. Obviously can be in the Peak District in 15-20 mins etc
Ihearye
popping in to recommend The Fat Cat at Kelham Island and the Kelham island museum
Jerry St Clair
The Horse and Jockey was the designated away fans pub on the last two occasions I've been there. Pretty decent with a good selection of real ales and hot food. Only about a 10 minute walk down the hill to the away end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 07 Mar 2022, 14:04 popping in to recommend The Fat Cat at Kelham Island and the Kelham island museum
Nice job they did doing up Kelham Island
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob
Memory lane... I worked at Kelham Island, and on the River Don Engine, in 1979. As an area, it was being crudely reinvented then. I'm going guess now, by the pro-campaigners here,...it's close to being - here we deliver a pretentious old Sheffield vibe...!

More important, and coming-up, is Argyle-Chelt - in week or so. This is the game that really matters. I've been here now for 20+ years and I would never, ever go and and watch that lot unless V the Robins.

Frustratingly, all my Covid jabs were at Home Park... SO, they were all doubly painful.

My pub recommendations...? None near the ground. Many more in striking distance.

PLEASE, just come here and support the team. Yet again, a Saturday - in this case V Argyle - has been shafted to a Tuesday... (Portsmouth-Cheltenham anyone?). So, this time around, Argyle get the Chelsea cup game benefits - and we are supporter and income shafted... That's how see it, anyway.

Anyway, me and my lad will be there, with the traveling 100/150? I'm looking forward to it - and, hopefully, the boasting rights moving forward! Come on you Robins - do please turn up on the 22nd.
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 18:10
hookyrobin wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 17:48 Hopefully it goes ahead. It's the international break weekend - the fixture computer stitching us up again this season.
Didn’t know that. Better not cancel it. I will go to the rearranged game if they do but won’t be the same.
Messaged a Wednesday fan on another forum, he reckons they'll have no more than one player on international duty and wouldn't want to call it off either way so hopefully it's game on.
Shade
plymrob wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 17:51 Memory lane... I worked at Kelham Island, and on the River Don Engine, in 1979. As an area, it was being crudely reinvented then. I'm going guess now, by the pro-campaigners here,...it's close to being - here we deliver a pretentious old Sheffield vibe...!

More important, and coming-up, is Argyle-Chelt - in week or so. This is the game that really matters. I've been here now for 20+ years and I would never, ever go and and watch that lot unless V the Robins.

Frustratingly, all my Covid jabs were at Home Park... SO, they were all doubly painful.

My pub recommendations...? None near the ground. Many more in striking distance.

PLEASE, just come here and support the team. Yet again, a Saturday - in this case V Argyle - has been shafted to a Tuesday... (Portsmouth-Cheltenham anyone?). So, this time around, Argyle get the Chelsea cup game benefits - and we are supporter and income shafted... That's how see it, anyway.

Anyway, me and my lad will be there, with the traveling 100/150? I'm looking forward to it - and, hopefully, the boasting rights moving forward! Come on you Robins - do please turn up on the 22nd.
I bloody hate Plymouth. I feel for you.
longmover
Don't know why Hillsborough wasn't just torn down after the disaster and a permanent memorial built on the site, always seems strange to me that 97 people died as a result of being at that ground and its still in use.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 17:10 Who’s looking forward to this one?

Was looking forward to it until they smashed Cambridge 6-0 last weekend!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Owls’ keeper has been called up by Northern Ireland so will miss the game against us.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footbal ... up-3610014
Barrieowl
CTFCfan99 wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 20:03
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 18:10

Messaged a Wednesday fan on another forum, he reckons they'll have no more than one player on international duty and wouldn't want to call it off either way so hopefully it's game on.

I'm here
Barrieowl
Anyway regarding pub advice.

Nowadays there is very little around the ground for away fans so for me I'd look at drinking up West and Division Street in town and getting tram in from 2.15 onwards.

Alteratively get a cab to Kelham Island, its a very good place for a beer and many more pubs opening up there, Taxi to ground is about a tenner from there too.

If you walk out of the station at the back the tram stops just outside, that will take you up to West St where there's a few pubs, if you get off at Shalesmoor it's a short walk to the pubs of Kelham. If you stay on it takes you as far as Hillsborough centre which is 2 stops before the ground and a different tram, it's a 10 or so minute walk from Hillsborough to the away end.

Any other advice needed or owt leave it in here and I will answer as best I can.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 02:23 Anyway regarding pub advice.

Nowadays there is very little around the ground for away fans so for me I'd look at drinking up West and Division Street in town and getting tram in from 2.15 onwards.

Alteratively get a cab to Kelham Island, its a very good place for a beer and many more pubs opening up there, Taxi to ground is about a tenner from there too.

If you walk out of the station at the back the tram stops just outside, that will take you up to West St where there's a few pubs, if you get off at Shalesmoor it's a short walk to the pubs of Kelham. If you stay on it takes you as far as Hillsborough centre which is 2 stops before the ground and a different tram, it's a 10 or so minute walk from Hillsborough to the away end.

Any other advice needed or owt leave it in here and I will answer as best I can.
If arriving by train it’s easy enough to walk to Kelham. Just over a mile through the city centre.
Barrieowl
Absolutely.

Basically turn right out of the station and walk.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:10 Absolutely.

Cheers. What’s Hillsborough Park like? Is one allowed to sit out in the park with beers on a nice day?
Barrieowl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:40
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:10 Absolutely.

Cheers. What’s Hillsborough Park like? Is one allowed to sit out in the park with beers on a nice day?
The park is decent enough but I wouldn't want to sit in it with a few beers when there's actual pubs and beer gardens about.
redlionsheff
We are an away supporters pub just a mile away from the ground at The Red Lion on Penistone Road and would welcome you with great deals and plenty of car parking space for coaches/minibuses/cars.

You can find us at Penistone Road, Grenoside, S358QH

We can also take larger bookings, just call us on 01144383115.
Barrieowl
redlionsheff wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:58 We are an away supporters pub just a mile away from the ground at The Red Lion on Penistone Road and would welcome you with great deals and plenty of car parking space for coaches/minibuses/cars.

A long mile but all down hill for the game but a hell of a hike back after.

Would recommend the pub mind, good ale and good food.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:29
redlionsheff wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:58 We are an away supporters pub just a mile away from the ground at The Red Lion on Penistone Road and would welcome you with great deals and plenty of car parking space for coaches/minibuses/cars.

Good to know.

Anyone know if we have to sit in our numbered seats or can we sit anywhere?
Barrieowl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 17:29

Good to know.

What sort of numbers you expecting?

Upper tier holds around 4k less the seats blocked off. Is usually unreserved seating for most clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:03

Good to know.

Upper tier holds around 4k less the seats blocked off. Is usually unreserved seating for most clubs.
Less than 1k
Barrieowl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:07

Good to know.

Less than 1k
Hopefully this doesn't come across as condescending but for a club your size that's a decent following.

Fair play
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:47

Less than 1k
Hopefully this doesn't come across as condescending but for a club your size that's a decent following.

Fair play
I didn’t say how much less :D

We took 511 to Charlton which would have some London-based exiles, but Hillsborough was the one even people who don’t go to away games looked out for.

We could push 800 I reckon.
Barrieowl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:51
Barrieowl wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 18:47

Less than 1k

Fair play
I didn’t say how much less :D

We took 511 to Charlton which would have some London-based exiles, but Hillsborough was the one even people who don’t go to away games looked out for.

We could push 800 I reckon.

I've seen clubs that get 20k at home bring sub 500.... I don't like to slate away numbers in the main unless it is summat daft, following your club away is not a cheap hobby.