MK Dons v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Wellwisher wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 01:17
longmover wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 16:29 MK is a strange and boring place, their ground is far too big for them and if you dig around I'm sure there's a real reason why it was built soo big (rinse rinse rinse, wash wash).

ASDA wanted to open a big superstore somewhere in Milton Keynes, but couldn't get planning permission from the Council, since there were already plenty of other big supermarkets in the town.
So they asked: "What if we add a civic amenity, like a sports stadium, to the development?"
The Council was interested, but was concerned that it wouldn't be used.
At which point Greasy Pete Winkleman stuck his hand up and said: "Me, me, me, Sir, I've got a professional football club which I've not long moved to play at the hockey stadium up the road, I can do it!"
And so it came to pass...

Incidentally from Wiki: "Peter John Winkelman is the current chairman of English association football club Milton Keynes Dons, as well as managing director of the property development consortium Inter MK Ltd that was responsible for developing the Denbigh North district of Milton Keynes."
What did the council think a 30k seater stadium would ever be used for in MK? Just ask yourselves why the council would want a 30k seater stadium built in MK donated by a huge multinational company? Add to that mega SPIV Winkelman into the mix and you get your answer.
Si Robin
A massive part of it was in an attempt to be one of the World Cup stadiums if England won the bid for 2018. The original plans were due to increase capacity to over 40,000.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 10:09 A massive part of it was in an attempt to be one of the World Cup stadiums if England won the bid for 2018. The original plans were due to increase capacity to over 40,000.
:lol: MK the footballing heartland
robinsrule
Well, all football clubs have to start somewhere. In 100 years they’ll have history and it was the biggest town in England without a football league club. Ipswich is the same size and they had 25,000 the other night so MK is big enough to get far bigger crowds than they do. Of course the stadium is currently way too big for them but it’s great for away teams with a large following.

As for my comment about the attendance, after 30 years of watching football I’m pretty good at guessing crowds and I’m sure that any Chelt fan who went will agree there was never anywhere near 7,000 in the ground. They are far from the only club who announces crowds based on season tickets sold (Bradford often have 5,000 in the ground but announce 15,000). Regardless, move on to the weekend and hopefully another 3 points!
Wellwisher
longmover wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 09:45
Wellwisher wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 01:17
longmover wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 16:29 MK is a strange and boring place, their ground is far too big for them and if you dig around I'm sure there's a real reason why it was built soo big (rinse rinse rinse, wash wash).

ASDA wanted to open a big superstore somewhere in Milton Keynes, but couldn't get planning permission from the Council, since there were already plenty of other big supermarkets in the town.
So they asked: "What if we add a civic amenity, like a sports stadium, to the development?"
The Council was interested, but was concerned that it wouldn't be used.
At which point Greasy Pete Winkleman stuck his hand up and said: "Me, me, me, Sir, I've got a professional football club which I've not long moved to play at the hockey stadium up the road, I can do it!"
And so it came to pass...

Incidentally from Wiki: "Peter John Winkelman is the current chairman of English association football club Milton Keynes Dons, as well as managing director of the property development consortium Inter MK Ltd that was responsible for developing the Denbigh North district of Milton Keynes."
What did the council think a 30k seater stadium would ever be used for in MK? Just ask yourselves why the council would want a 30k seater stadium built in MK donated by a huge multinational company? Add to that mega SPIV Winkelman into the mix and you get your answer.
You don't have to prove that a 30k stadium was needed or viable, merely persuade gullible/uninformed/non-football fans on the local Council that it will be.

Meaning something like "Crazy Gang 2.0 playing in the Premier League in 3 years" will have been enough.