Boyle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
during commentary last night Boyle was mentioned as having rejected a new contract . Forgive me if this has been mentioned on another thread
Si Robin
It came out a few weeks ago that he turned down a deal in November. Think it was in Mickey Moore's interview.

Edit: from the Interview -
In terms of the playing squad, there has been some interest in club captain Will Boyle and while no bids have been received so far, the 25-year-old defender is out of contract this summer.

“Will is an unbelievable human being and pro, who has been brilliant for us,” Moore says.

“We put a contract offer to him in November, which he declined and that’s fine, we have no issues or problems.
plymrob
Come on Mr Boyle... you have a manager that is making you better. Please sign so we benefit. What is to lose from your point view... F. All - apart from for the team that made you.
Warwickshire Robin
The question is what are his alternatives going to be? I guess most teams in this Division can offer higher wages than us (which will ultimately decide where he plays next season) but I don't see a Championship move really. Sheff Wed would probably be the one as it is a move closer to where he is from but if they get up to the Championship through the Play Offs will they look for more of a ball playing centre back for the league above?

He has been excellent for us when fit and is a very good defender but more of the old school than the new. He wins headers, will run through brick walls for you etc. but is not a ball playing defender in the new modern fashion so that will cut down his options I would think. He also hasn't yet found the form of last season yet in my opinion, whether that is due to the step up or if he is playing not 100% fit, I'm not sure.
longmover
plymrob wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 22:52 Come on Mr Boyle... you have a manager that is making you better. Please sign so we benefit. What is to lose from your point view... F. All - apart from for the team that made you.
There's obviously some options that have been put to him or potentially been put to him, dare I say Wrexham or FGR.
little mo
I have thought all along that he will go to Wrexham and join up with Tozer. If they go up then they have a proven Lge 2 centre back pairing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 22:52 Come on Mr Boyle... you have a manager that is making you better. Please sign so we benefit. What is to lose from your point view... F. All - apart from for the team that made you.
There may be teams which can offer him more money but can’t afford a transfer fee. Signing a contract can make it harder for him to get a move.
Ihearye
Sad to see anyone go who has been here a while, but shedding no tears. Regularly injured, regularly can't find a pass. Decent in the air. Good luck to him and whoever signs him. Great to have a left footed defender if he can use it.
Shade
Someone else mentioned it a while ago, but he doesn't look the same player without Tozer alongside him. Not to mention, Tuesday night aside, he doesn't bag as many goals!
Sprout Picker
Shade wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 14:21 Someone else mentioned it a while ago, but he doesn't look the same player without Tozer alongside him. Not to mention, Tuesday night aside, he doesn't bag as many goals!
I think a fair chunk of his goals came from Tozer's throw-ins!
HamTown
Would be a shame to lose a big presence off the pitch and a captain on it but isn't in the same form as he showed at the start of the season
kags
HamTown wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 16:57 Would be a shame to lose a big presence off the pitch and a captain on it but isn't in the same form as he showed at the start of the season
Agree not easy to replace, but not irreplaceable. Showing his limitations at this level and poor recent form.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Playing alongside even slower Tozer in a reasonably untroubled League Two back line masked his lack of pace. Whether he stays or goes, we need to sign defenders with enough pace for this league.

Hussey being replaced with a young fast player with L1 and Championship experience was a step further on the transition from L2 to L1, replacing Boyle will be another step.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:04 Playing alongside even slower Tozer in a reasonably untroubled League Two back line masked his lack of pace. Whether he stays or goes, we need to sign defenders with enough pace for this league.

Hussey being replaced with a young fast player with L1 and Championship experience was a step further on the transition from L2 to L1, replacing Boyle will be another step.
Brilliant point about transitioning to a league one team, all positions now need to be of that quality.
asl
https://the72.co.uk/269261/cheltenham-t ... wednesday/

PNE and Weds still interested. I saw another article from a Hampshire local rag saying Portsmouth had 'cooled' their interest in him as they had other priorities.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

duckers
He’ll get more money from not commanding a big transfer fee. He’ll have more clubs competing for his signature. He’s done his time here, we’ve had more than enough value from him so good luck to him, wish him all the best in his next move. Hopefully it is to a PNE or a Sheff Wed rather than a Wrexham or a FFG.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
All the best and he deserves a chance at a bigger club like that.

Too slow and immobile for our current set up but that won’t be exposed as much in a Sheff Wed side.
Warwickshire Robin
If he does choose to move on I hope he gets a good move as Duckers says. Would be sad to see him step down just for the money. He's still only 26 (even though he looks a good deal older, sorry Will!!) and I think he is another one who will look better with better players around him rather than having to shoulder the responsibility himself.

I have been a critical of some performances this season but I think that is down to the high expectations and he will take a lot of replacing if he does go.
longmover
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 15:04 If he does choose to move on I hope he gets a good move as Duckers says. Would be sad to see him step down just for the money. He's still only 26 (even though he looks a good deal older, sorry Will!!) and I think he is another one who will look better with better players around him rather than having to shoulder the responsibility himself.

I have been a critical of some performances this season but I think that is down to the high expectations and he will take a lot of replacing if he does go.
W R E X H A M
Robin
I cannot see Boyle going to Wrexham especially if they don't go up. Unlike Tozer he will have offers from high end league one sides and it seems Preston, they will offer more money and a better career path. Let's not forget also that if Wrexham don't go up they are pinned by the salary cap next season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 09:47 I cannot see Boyle going to Wrexham especially if they don't go up. Unlike Tozer he will have offers from high end league one sides and it seems Preston, they will offer more money and a better career path. Let's not forget also that if Wrexham don't go up they are pinned by the salary cap next season.
They will just sponsor the ground or shirts to get round it.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 10:00
Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 09:47 I cannot see Boyle going to Wrexham especially if they don't go up. Unlike Tozer he will have offers from high end league one sides and it seems Preston, they will offer more money and a better career path. Let's not forget also that if Wrexham don't go up they are pinned by the salary cap next season.
They will just sponsor the ground or shirts to get round it.
Absolutely the money from sponsors and revenue from the proposed 'documentary' will mean they will navigate that particular issue
Robin
You are probably correct however I understood the cap which is coming is on total playing budget so everyone is limited at £800,000 so they cannot circumvent it through sponsorship unless the proposal changed. That's why them and Stockport are throwing crazy money around to get out before it comes in.
longmover
Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 10:26 You are probably correct however I understood the cap which is coming is on total playing budget so everyone is limited at £800,000 so they cannot circumvent it through sponsorship unless the proposal changed. That's why them and Stockport are throwing crazy money around to get out before it comes in.
didn't know there was a salary cap, I thought there was just a limit on what % you can spend on your clubs earnings, so if you have HUGE earnings from a naff ticktock sponsor or revenue from a 'proposed' documentary then you have the ability to spend more.
Fuller
Look at the attendances they are getting. Averaging around 8,500 this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 10:26 You are probably correct however I understood the cap which is coming is on total playing budget so everyone is limited at £800,000 so they cannot circumvent it through sponsorship unless the proposal changed. That's why them and Stockport are throwing crazy money around to get out before it comes in.
Have you got a link or info about this?

All I can find is articles from a year ago saying a proposed cap of £1.5m for League Two was scrapped as the PFA challenged it as unlawful.

So would seem odd that a year later a cap of half that amount is being introduced.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/ ... el-verdict
longmover
Fuller wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 11:05 Look at the attendances they are getting. Averaging around 8,500 this season.
That will tail off if they have another season in the national or they stagnate in league two. As soon as Reynolds leaves so will all the big sponsors and so will about 4k of their attendance.
Si Robin
There's always talk of big backers going, but Abramovich lasted 19 years at Chelsea, and is only selling because of sanctions. Vince has been in charge at FGR since 2009-2010 time and still hasn't packed in yet. Andy Pilley has been at Fleetwood since 2003. The list goes on.

There's been nothing to suggest that Reynolds and McIlheney are in it for anything but the long haul. These owners often get the bug.

I remember when Vince took over at FGR and he didn't know football at all. When my sister worked for Ecotricity a few years back she accused him of taking his eye off the ball at the company because he was so invested in the football team now.

It's easy to see what happened to Rushden and Diamonds and say it's going to happen to every club that buy their way up the leagues, but that does seem to be the exception to the rule. Don't get me wrong, if Vince was to go, I think FGR are right in the s#!t, but I don't see him going soon. Wrexham on the other hand have much more of a history and base to build on - especially if, as I read recently, they take ownership of The Racecourse Ground again.
Warwickshire Robin
Possible replacement for Will?

https://the72.co.uk/269494/tottenham-ho ... n-walcott/

Says on his Tottenham profile he was a district 200m champion so could add some much needed pace at the back. Hopefully with the way we have looked after Kion Spurs may look on us as a good destination for their youngsters to learn.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 14:19 Possible replacement for Will?

https://the72.co.uk/269494/tottenham-ho ... n-walcott/

Says on his Tottenham profile he was a district 200m champion so could add some much needed pace at the back. Hopefully with the way we have looked after Kion Spurs may look on us as a good destination for their youngsters to learn.
Fingers crossed.
Robin
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/n ... ps-3293705

Salary cap of £900k each team effective from next season was approved last July according to that.
ctfc-fan
Si Robin wrote:There's always talk of big backers going, but Abramovich lasted 19 years at Chelsea, and is only selling because of sanctions. Vince has been in charge at FGR since 2009-2010 time and still hasn't packed in yet. Andy Pilley has been at Fleetwood since 2003. The list goes on.

There's been nothing to suggest that Reynolds and McIlheney are in it for anything but the long haul. These owners often get the bug.

I remember when Vince took over at FGR and he didn't know football at all. When my sister worked for Ecotricity a few years back she accused him of taking his eye off the ball at the company because he was so invested in the football team now.

It's easy to see what happened to Rushden and Diamonds and say it's going to happen to every club that buy their way up the leagues, but that does seem to be the exception to the rule. Don't get me wrong, if Vince was to go, I think FGR are right in the s#!t, but I don't see him going soon. Wrexham on the other hand have much more of a history and base to build on - especially if, as I read recently, they take ownership of The Racecourse Ground again.
Rushden failed because Max Griggs got his business plan wrong with Dr Martin’s and failed to see cheaper imports were the way forward. He bought local (Northamptonshire) factories up with local labour when other shoe manufacturers were stopping local production. He ended up going bust as he got it wrong.
Si Robin
Griggs had given Rushden to the fans in 2005, 6 years before they entered administration. His business problems were irrelevant to my point.

The point was that once the money dried up, they were unsustainable and eventually went to the wall. If Vince pulls his money then, based on their inability to increase their attendances, FGR are likely to go the same way. Fleetwood are likely to do the same. The likes of Wrexham and Stockport (also now well backed) though are more likely to become sustainable due to their historical support and much larger potential which is already evident by the crowds they are getting in the National League.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 14:52 https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/n ... ps-3293705

Salary cap of £900k each team effective from next season was approved last July according to that.
Interesting, cheers.

I wonder if other perks (e.g. FGR giving the snake a house) are captured in the cap.