Squad contracts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheltenham Town contracts, courtesy of JP on Twitter:

Summer 2022: Flinders, Harris, Boyle, Hutchinson, Thomas, Sercombe, Chapman, Colkett, Barkers, A Williams

Summer 2023: Evans, Raglan, Horton, Freestone, Blair, Bonds, Brown, Ebanks

Summer 2024: Long, B Williams, May, Lloyd
Robin
Thanks for this of those who are up I would imagine only Connor Thomas, Chapman and Colkett are likely to get new deals. I exclude Boyle as we all know he's off and there was further talk yesterday that Wednesday are interested in him again. Max Harries and Dylan Barkers maybe kept another year though, potentially keep them in first team squad until the next batch of loanees are in and then loan them out .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would imagine Hutchinson would be offered a new deal. Done a decent job when needed.
Nesty
Flinders. If I was Flinders I would feel miffed at being sat on the bench watching Evans - Cant see him being here next season
Boyle, - not been his best lately - I but is that "Demob Happy"?
Hutchinson, OK as cover to Williams
Thomas, - Injured too much for my liking - we have better options in Colkett and Bonds - get rid.
Sercombe, H will be off back to BR
Chapman, - see Thomas
Colkett, - Sign him
Barkers, - Have not seen enough of him to comment
A Williams - must be a big earner - time to say goodbye ,
HamTown
Nesty wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 09:21 Flinders. If I was Flinders I would feel miffed at being sat on the bench watching Evans - Cant see him being here next season
Chapman, - see Thomas
I think it makes sense to stick with Evans, he may or may not be next season's no.1 but hes far more likely to still be at the club than Flinders

It would be sad to see Thomas go but think we'd keep Chapman as a young player with alot of experience under his belt. Duff and Moore have talked about shifting the make up of the squad to have more players of resale value and the signing of Colkett and Chapman would fit in with that

Agree with the rest though
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chapman, Bonds, Colkett

If all fit that’s a decent midfield. Bonds was great on Saturday. Winning the ball in tackles multiple times. Beating players with exhibition skills. Good shooting. If Wright does sign again then that is fantastic competition for spaces.

Would allow us to focus on strengthening the centre backs and getting an Etete style striker.
HamTown
Would still like to see a new gritty box to box midfielder to replace Sercs
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 10:09 Chapman, Bonds, Colkett

If all fit that’s a decent midfield. Bonds was great on Saturday. Winning the ball in tackles multiple times. Beating players with exhibition skills. Good shooting. If Wright does sign again then that is fantastic competition for spaces.

Would allow us to focus on strengthening the centre backs and getting an Etete style striker.
Seems like midfield is the place where the heavy work needs to be done next season with only Bonds under contract. Based on what we are currently carrying in that area that means we need to bring in 5 or 6 players. Agree Colkett and Chapman would be good to keep if possible but that still leaves another 2 or 3 to find.

After that it is centre back with at least 2 needed one of whom should be left footed who are notoriously hard to find. Assume that unless a great deal comes up for someone then the more physical striker role will again be filled by a loanee, maybe Nlundulu back?

I hope Messrs. Duff and Moore only have short holidays booked :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 11:22
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 10:09 Chapman, Bonds, Colkett

Seems like midfield is the place where the heavy work needs to be done next season with only Bonds under contract. Based on what we are currently carrying in that area that means we need to bring in 5 or 6 players. Agree Colkett and Chapman would be good to keep if possible but that still leaves another 2 or 3 to find.

After that it is centre back with at least 2 needed one of whom should be left footed who are notoriously hard to find. Assume that unless a great deal comes up for someone then the more physical striker role will again be filled by a loanee, maybe Nlundulu back?

I hope Messrs. Duff and Moore only have short holidays booked :lol:
Next season starts on 30th July so short holidays indeed.
Fuller
I'm pretty sure I heard Mike Duff say in an interview about a month ago that he and Moore had already identified their four main new signing targets for this summer.
He quickly added that they might not want to join us though!
One thing I do hope is we sign players who have good fitness records.
Far too many players, both our own and loanees, have had extended spells out of the squad this season due to injury.
Nesty
Fuller wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 11:58 I'm pretty sure I heard Mike Duff say in an interview about a month ago that he and Moore had already identified their four main new signing targets for this summer.
He quickly added that they might not want to join us though!
One thing I do hope is we sign players who have good fitness records.
Far too many players, both our own and loanees, have had extended spells out of the squad this season due to injury.
far too many - is it down to bad luck, our training methodology, or just the fact that we can only afford to sign injury prone players ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I hope as many contracts or departures as possible are announced before the final home game on 23rd April. Be nice for those leaving to be able to do a lap of honour and get a proper send off. Two record breaking seasons back to back and all the players deserve to be thanked by the fans.
horlickfanclub
Dan N'lundulu is out of contract at Southampton in May ,i think. I hope we can make him an offer. I would try to keep Colkett and Thomas and Barkers but Chapman has not done enough to keep.
Fuller
Ellis Chapman is still only 21 and I think he’s got a bright future so I’d give him a two year deal. But who’s to say if he hasn’t already been offered one or he’s rejected it?
RCS the only time I recall the retained list going out before the end of the season was in 2003 under Bobby Gould. He gave his reason why at the time but I do not recall any other manager doing it.
Robin
HamTown wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 10:01
Nesty wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 09:21 Flinders. If I was Flinders I would feel miffed at being sat on the bench watching Evans - Cant see him being here next season
Chapman, - see Thomas
I think it makes sense to stick with Evans, he may or may not be next season's no.1 but hes far more likely to still be at the club than Flinders

It would be sad to see Thomas go but think we'd keep Chapman as a young player with alot of experience under his belt. Duff and Moore have talked about shifting the make up of the squad to have more players of resale value and the signing of Colkett and Chapman would fit in with that

Agree with the rest though
Flinders had a run in the side early on, can anyone honestly say he did better than Owen during that time? Evans will only improve with experience, whilst Scotty has 1-2 years left as a pro in best case. Seems straight forward to me.

Connor Thomas is reaching his peak, I think he's 27 hardly over the hill and I believe we are better team with him in it, offering him a new deal seems straight forward to me but I'm wondering whether he's actually stalling and looking around to see if he can get better terms elsewhere. Also Ellis Chapman is what 22, madness to write him off at that age.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 14:16 Dan N'lundulu is out of contract at Southampton in May ,i think. I hope we can make him an offer. I would try to keep Colkett and Thomas and Barkers but Chapman has not done enough to keep.
Pretty sure N'lundulu has another year left on his deal but perhaps we can still sign him permanently. We need to powerful forwards this window, ideally one permanently and one on loan.
London Exile
I’m not sure why Evans has all of a sudden become a target for supporters?
I personally think he’s done ok and I don’t see that Flinders would have done any better?
These guys are coached to a system all week ready for matches and a short passing game starting with the GK is part of that. I feel Owen is far better with his feet and kicking that Scott is.
Every home game now there’s an outcry for us to clear it long upfield but I’d wager that if we did that the same folks would be moaning we don’t keep it on the deck!
I think this is the best football we’ve seen consistently, Evans has played his part in that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 20:48 I’m not sure why Evans has all of a sudden become a target for supporters?
I personally think he’s done ok and I don’t see that Flinders would have done any better?
These guys are coached to a system all week ready for matches and a short passing game starting with the GK is part of that. I feel Owen is far better with his feet and kicking that Scott is.
Every home game now there’s an outcry for us to clear it long upfield but I’d wager that if we did that the same folks would be moaning we don’t keep it on the deck!
I think this is the best football we’ve seen consistently, Evans has played his part in that.
Some fans always have to have a target. Just the booboy mindset.

For me A Williams and Boyle have been the most disappointing in terms of below par performances and mistakes but I would never suggest targeting them during games and online.
plymrob
Apart from now then...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 21:46 Apart from now then...
Saying they have been the most disappointing is not calling for them to be replaced or saying they aren’t good enough, or looking for any excuse to slag off a player. They have both made valuable and important contributions and are great clubmen.
Si Robin
London Exile wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 20:48 I’m not sure why Evans has all of a sudden become a target for supporters?
As RCS says, it's an easy target. Can't criticise any of the outfield players because they've got us to the highest position we've ever been in, so if there is a flaw it must be in goal.

We'll ignore completely that I can't think of a single goal that Evans was at fault for (unlike a certain Mr Griffiths who I've seen some fans on Twitter pining for over recent weeks). I see a lot of, "he could have done better there", but then you can say that about all goalkeepers when goals are scored. When we've had worldies scored against us, somehow Evans should have saved it. I even saw someone criticise him last week for not diving after Mayor's goal.

I've even seen someone say he's never made a save since signing on a permanent. Yeah, we'll forget that absolute wonder save against Sunderland when we were 1-0 down and holding on in the first half.

As I said, it's similar to the c!#p Scott Brown got and I maintain he's the best all round permanent keeper we've had in the Football League.
Nesty
My main beef with Evans is his distribution. yes - he is young and can make some good saves - but also in the last few game there have been some Kami Kasi moments. Is he as good as he was when he was on loan? or was he better protected?
Robin
Nesty wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 09:36 My main beef with Evans is his distribution. yes - he is young and can make some good saves - but also in the last few game there have been some Kami Kasi moments. Is he as good as he was when he was on loan? or was he better protected?
I'd argue Evans has the best distribution of any keeper we've had permanently, especially with his feet. Granted a there have been a few mishaps this season but compare him to Flinders or Scott Brown and he's miles ahead in that department.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 09:36 My main beef with Evans is his distribution. yes - he is young and can make some good saves - but also in the last few game there have been some Kami Kasi moments. Is he as good as he was when he was on loan? or was he better protected?
Better protected…not because our defenders were better, but because the opposition were worse.

When he is facing one on ones every week because our defenders never deal with pace or long balls it is hard.
Uppy
Is Wright out of contract with Leicester? Should imagine there would be heavy interest from us (although wouldn’t be surprised if a big spending L1 or championship team offered more money)
Robin
Yes he's out of contract this summer but technically Leicester would be due compensation if they offer him a new deal and could easily give him another year to ensure they get a fee. I could certainly see someone like Wigan or Blackpool taking an interest given his age and he's originally from that part of the country. You would like to think we have a realistic chance though given how much he clearly loves it here.
asl
I think the offer from Leicester has to be "equivalent or better" than his expiring contract - so that might mean they can't just offer a 1 year deal in order to trigger that transfer rule if he is on, say, a 3 year deal right now.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Si Robin
I think equivalent or better means in terms of his wage not the length of deal
Robin
He signed a new one year deal on improved terms last summer ASL, I've heard what his wages are, supposedly, and we definitely cannot match that if it's true so he'd almost certainly need to be willing to take a pay cut to come here.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 10:50
Better protected…not because our defenders were better, but because the opposition were worse.

When he is facing one on ones every week because our defenders never deal with pace or long balls it is hard.
As I have said before Owen is a good shot stopper, that point blank effort against Sheff Wed on Saturday was amazing even if it didn't really count as offside was given, he is pretty good at coming for crosses and all round we could do a whole lot worse for a goalkeeper at our level.

Distribution does give me heart palpitations at times but I think that is as much to do with the fact that we obviously want to play out from the back but don't really have centre backs who are overly comfortable on the ball (lets face it if they were, they probably wouldn't be playing for us in League 1!) and also the lack of options and movement in front of them. Owen can ping some very good passes when players are available quickly but as soon as we start messing about and over passing that is when panic seems to set in. Hopefully that will improve and we can bring in some centre backs who are more comfortable with the ball at their feet.
Last edited by Warwickshire Robin on 30 Mar 2022, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Part of the problem on Saturday was Sheff Wed were man marking all our defence so Owen had no one to pass to but he was still being tasked with playing it short.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 15:03 Part of the problem on Saturday was Sheff Wed were man marking all our defence so Owen had no one to pass to but he was still being tasked with playing it short.
However, he did change in the second half as several goal kicks were the old fashioned long ones.
Shade
This is my only real gripe with Evans - he dithers too much on deciding what to do from goal kicks, and then sometimes picks by far the worst option/gives it away because he seems flustered. Some games, he just needs to take control when the opposition are pressed right up and say "no, this is going as far away from our goal as possible for a minute or two". I've said it before, but I'd like to see a stat of how often this season we have taken a short goal kick and got out of our own half before losing the ball (inc. kicking it straight out of play). That's not all on Evans though as the defenders are far too slow at passing it around sometimes as well, and if someone has space the pass is just stroked out to them so slowly that they just have to knock it back again by the time it has arrived. We just seem to take to long to realise we need to either mix it up by going short sometimes and long others, or by abandoning going short altogether.