Alfie May

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
No surprise, but interest building: https://bit.ly/MayWanted
Robin
No surprise at all and I welcome it given our position of strength but some of these clubs such as Motherwell and the club in India kind of baffles me as I cannot imagine they could afford the sort of fee we would be expecting. It's always conjecture but surely any fee would be large six figures pushing maybe seven figures. A Championship or big league one could afford that not sure about a Scottish side however.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nearly seven? Was your mouth out. Look at the prices L1 goal scorers have gone for. May is minimum £2.5m but we should be opening our negotiations at £3m+.
Robin
I love the optimism but look at the sides circling, no chance Motherwell could pay anywhere near that. Likewise when was the last time a team in India signed a player for a six figure fee from England? How many league one sides could pay £1million for a player? Probably Ipswich, Sunderland, Pompey and maybe MK Dons (although I'm doubtful).

Our best hope is a Championship side takes him as they would pay those sorts of fees given the extra TV money they receive. More likely though we all get excited and talk up huge feels only for him to leave for about £600k and a few add ons.
asl
I agree with Robin. Also, he's 28 - so likely viewed less valuable than, say, Eisa was (can't remember how old he was when he left us, but he was a few years younger.)

Alfie has certainly proved me wrong, this year. I was adamant we need better, last summer - but he has stepped up like I didn't believe was possible so he'll be a hard act to replace if he does go.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 07:46 I love the optimism but look at the sides circling, no chance Motherwell could pay anywhere near that. Likewise when was the last time a team in India signed a player for a six figure fee from England? How many league one sides could pay £1million for a player? Probably Ipswich, Sunderland, Pompey and maybe MK Dons (although I'm doubtful).

Our best hope is a Championship side takes him as they would pay those sorts of fees given the extra TV money they receive. More likely though we all get excited and talk up huge feels only for him to leave for about £600k and a few add ons.
It Motherwell or an Indian team can’t pay anywhere near that then he doesn’t move to them. Quite simple.

Here is a list of transfers of league one strikers. Even fifteen years ago a 27 year old was signed by a higher division team for over £2m.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league- ... _s=&zuab=0

A 26 year old Danny Ward went to Cardiff from League One Rotherham for £1.6m+ in 2017/18. John Marquis went for £1.5m aged 27 after scoring 26 in all competitions (including pizza cup).

This isn’t a non-league lad or someone in their first season in League 2.

This is someone in their peak years, who is scoring more than 20 goals in League One vying to be top scorer with someone who might be at the World Cup.

20 goal league one strikers are like gold dust and the big League One or middling/bottom Championship clubs are desperate for them.

Time to end the “little old Cheltenham” mindset and wake up to the fact we have of the most sought after assets outside the Championship, on a two year deal, with no financial reasons to have to sell.
Shade
Completely agree with RCS. As JP says, we are in a position of strength in terms of finances and Alfie’s contract - so bid big or go home. I’d rather we keep him anyway, so it would take a huge offer if I were in charge. It’s doubtful we will be able to find a replacement plus all the other players we need if we want to improve again next season.
HamTown
Motherwell didn't pay a transfer this season and the all time record for an Indian transfer is 200k so not even worth thinking about

I fear that we had to put in a lowish minimum fee release clause to make up for our lack of wage budget (this is based on nothing but a hunch)
asl
I'll place my bet now that, when or if he does go, the final fee will be.........

Undisclosed.

RobinHood
Wrexham for £400K and a pre-season friendly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RobinHood wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 16:36 Wrexham for £400K and a pre-season friendly.
:lol:
shevates
Selling him is easy, biggest problem is replacing him, without his goals we would be in a relegation battle possibly. I would hope a 750K transfer fee would be a possibility which would give us money to bring in a decent replacement. If Morecambe get relegated is Stockton a viable target
Robin
Morecambe wanted £500,000 for Stockton last summer so I can't imagine that would be one we could get. Isn't Charlie Browne the replacement?
Red Duke
Robin wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 13:32 Morecambe wanted £500,000 for Stockton last summer so I can't imagine that would be one we could get. Isn't Charlie Browne the replacement?
I think the same as well, especially at the time, Alfie was considering a move to USA and we would have needed a replacement if he went.
Robin
Even if we sell for £750k our issue will be wages, we apparently don't pay more than £2000 a week in a league where the average player is on around £2400 and proven scorers are rumored to be earning double that.
HamTown
Think Charlie Brown and Dan N'lundulu may be a good partnership if they were to stay fit
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 13:40 Even if we sell for £750k our issue will be wages, we apparently don't pay more than £2000 a week in a league where the average player is on around £2400 and proven scorers are rumored to be earning double that.
That’s why we have no interest in selling Alfie unless for big money (£2.5m+). We can’t afford a proven 20+ goal replacement so if we sell him cheap we might as well not bother trying to compete in L1.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 14:16
Robin wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 13:40 Even if we sell for £750k our issue will be wages, we apparently don't pay more than £2000 a week in a league where the average player is on around £2400 and proven scorers are rumored to be earning double that.
That’s why we have no interest in selling Alfie unless for big money (£2.5m+). We can’t afford a proven 20+ goal replacement so if we sell him cheap we might as well not bother trying to compete in L1.
This is his first league season getting over 10 goals and his first league one season getting over 5. Yes he's "proved" he can do it once but he hasn't proved he can do it season after season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 14:47
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 14:16
This is his first league season getting over 10 goals and his first league one season getting over 5. Yes he's "proved" he can do it once but he hasn't proved he can do it season after season
Which is one season more than anyone else we can afford.
asl
If we manage to hold on to him and he doesn't hit the same heights next season, how long before the moans start that we should've cashed in when his stock was high?

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 15:42 If we manage to hold on to him and he doesn't hit the same heights next season, how long before the moans start that we should've cashed in when his stock was high?

The only moaners will be those who wanted to sell for a pittance. Unless we turn down crazy money like £2.5m plus then I will back the club for making the right decision no matter what happens next season.
longmover
Robin wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 13:32 Morecambe wanted £500,000 for Stockton last summer so I can't imagine that would be one we could get. Isn't Charlie Browne the replacement?
Stockton has another year on his contract so BIG money for him.
longmover
Seven figures for Alfie, don't even think about anything less.
theidlerich
Peanuts!
Robin
longmover wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 18:24 Seven figures for Alfie, don't even think about anything less.
You'd hope so but as we've seen before we have a record of letting players leave on the cheap. Also if we want seven figures why are teams in India and the likes of Motherwell showing an interest unless they believe they could get him for a small fraction of that?

I just hope we've not got a small release clause in the contract :oops:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 19:03
longmover wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 18:24 Seven figures for Alfie, don't even think about anything less.
You'd hope so but as we've seen before we have a record of letting players leave on the cheap. Also if we want seven figures why are teams in India and the likes of Motherwell showing an interest unless they believe they could get him for a small fraction of that?

I just hope we've not got a small release clause in the contract :oops:
I imagine a lot of clubs are showing an interest and it has nothing to do with what we would accept. Here is just one possible scenario:

“Indian team owner or manager: we need a European goal scorer, preferably one who speaks English. Who’s that guy who scored against Man City? Didn’t he play for a small team with not much money!

Team scout or advisor: May, for Cheltenham and the BBC website shows he has 20 goals in League One this season, which is the third tier. Shall we enquire?

[Indian team declares interest/puts out feelers]

[Word gets back to them they won’t be able to afford him as this calibre of player goes for £1.5-£3m usually]

Indian team owner: Ah it seems like English League One players are too expensive for us.

Scout/advisor: I have seen this player who scored 20 goals in the Danish third division. Shall we enquire?”