Big club's fans moaning

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Following yesterday's win over Pompey, I've noticed the usual moans and groans from their fans (and manager) about Portsmouth's poor performance. Also the odd swipe about losing to a small club better known for horse racing, etc. It's as if we didn't deserve to be playing on the same pitch as them (even though we were clearly the better team over the 90+ minutes).

It's ridiculous when you consider that, before yesterday, we'd already beaten the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Oxford and Charlton, as well as taken points off Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dons, Wycombe, and Bolton. Fans of some of these clubs have been cringingly deprecating towards us, notably Ipswich who were clearly irked that we didn't rock up at Portman Road to be rolled over! None of those results were flukes; they were all hard earned, often against the odds.

Let's not forget that the Robins sit 12th in this league despite operating on the second lowest budget after Crewe. While I'm happy that some opposing teams underestimate us, it is annoying that so many clearly don't know how to lose gracefully. Perhaps it's time that some opposing managers and fans recognise that, while Cheltenham might be comparative minnows, we are in this league on merit; however, unlike them, we are actually punching above our weight.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They just don’t know much about football or understand how it works.
Robin
I'm really not that bothered about it to be honest and we have to recognize that clubs like Pompey, Sunderland, Sheff Wed and to a lesser extent Ipswich are clearly all hugely underachieving by playing at this level.
vickeryc
Fair points. I guess I find the arrogance a bit amusing really. It works to our advantage (and other small clubs in this league) when the 'big boys' underestimate us. Long may it continue!
Shade
There's a similar percentage of idiots in all fanbases but the larger the fanbase the more there are. The entitlement of fanbases that have spent more time in higher divisions is evident, though. Oh well, I look forward to another season of them coming to WR and crying.