Crewe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
sack David Artell,no surprise really.
Fuller
They’d lost 14 of their last 15 games and won just one…….against you know who. And we could have been three up in the first five minutes too.
I expect Crewe will bounce back eventually. Always appear to be a well run club. Or were.
Si Robin
Seems that's the big issue at the moment - they've gone from being a well run club to now being run really badly. A lower budget than us, any good players were sold in the summer without the money being put into the budget, and they're trying to get by on young players who just aren't up to it. Artell can feel very hard done by.

I thought on the opening day that they were shocking, and we should have beat them easily. Then when we lost a few weeks back I had the same feelings.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A well run club if you overlook the fact the only thing that underpinned their success - their renowned academy and youth system - was run by a child abuser.

Take that big income stream away they are a small club who can’t compete higher than lower L1.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 12 Apr 2022, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
They are probably a similar sized club to us in terms of fan base. I might be the only one but I believe Artell had done really well there overall and has been sacked for decisions/failings higher up such as allowing many of their prized assets to run down their contracts and leave on the cheap. Thankfully we don't appear to be heading into the same trap but just a reminder Crewe finished twelth last season which is where we currently find ourselves.
HamTown
Seems crazy to have such a low budget after some of those historic massive transfers:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crewe-a ... erein/1042
longmover
Speaking to a Crewe fan who is very concerned they could just drop like a stone now with conference football a real threat. The team they have now would struggle in league two (and the better ones will leave) they have no money and that's after they sold their crop of decent players, a team of 18 year old's is not going to get you very far in league two.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Second team in Cheshire next season after Stockport then.

Chester and Macc might be above them too in a few years.

That’s football.
asl
Considering how much they outnumbered us at Wembley that year, I'm surprised.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
Oh no!

Anyway...
Broadway Brian
longmover wrote:Speaking to a Crewe fan who is very concerned they could just drop like a stone now with conference football a real threat. The team they have now would struggle in league two (and the better ones will leave) they have no money and that's after they sold their crop of decent players, a team of 18 year old's is not going to get you very far in league two.
We’ll I’ve got my fingers crossed that happens. Vile club.