SEAN DYCHE SACKED

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

robinsrule
Shade wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 11:41 It seems a no win situation to me if MD goes to Burnley. He can't outperform Dyche given what he has done there, the club appears to be now not well run and if it goes wrong he will struggle to get another job at that level. But I guess success for a British manager these days is just managing in the Prem and keeping a team up as none of them get a chance at one of the big boys (unless they played for one of them, ie Lampard).
This argument comes up a lot but I don’t really buy it. When Liverpool, Man U and City were last looking for new managers, was there any realistic British candidate? I’d say that perhaps Eddie Howe could have been given a job at Arsenal but I can’t think of any others with any real pedigree. Of course any manager is a risk regardless of their nationality or CV.
robinsrule
Robin wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 09:16 Chris Wilder is the favourite it seems Duff pretty long odds at 16-1.
I think Wilder has a much better chance of being promoted next season with Boro than with Burnley.
Robin
robinsrule wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 14:49
Robin wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 09:16 Chris Wilder is the favourite it seems Duff pretty long odds at 16-1.
I think Wilder has a much better chance of being promoted next season with Boro than with Burnley.
I agree and Boro have a great chairman too by all accounts however the bookies have their odds between Allardyce and Wilder. Then it's Rooney followed by Duff, Unsworth, Solkjaer and then Barton.
asl
I heard some of 606 on Radio 5 last night. A Burnley fan was predicting a riot if Big Sam, ex-Blackburn, was appointed. The Burnley fans on the radio all claimed they knew of nobody who was in favour of the sacking. Wilder sounded a good bet, to me - but there were fruitcakes thinking Ranieri was a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
robinsrule wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 14:46
Shade wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 11:41 It seems a no win situation to me if MD goes to Burnley. He can't outperform Dyche given what he has done there, the club appears to be now not well run and if it goes wrong he will struggle to get another job at that level. But I guess success for a British manager these days is just managing in the Prem and keeping a team up as none of them get a chance at one of the big boys (unless they played for one of them, ie Lampard).
This argument comes up a lot but I don’t really buy it. When Liverpool, Man U and City were last looking for new managers, was there any realistic British candidate? I’d say that perhaps Eddie Howe could have been given a job at Arsenal but I can’t think of any others with any real pedigree. Of course any manager is a risk regardless of their nationality or CV.
How does a British manager become a realistic candidate? What do they need to do or achieve with a much smaller budget than the likes of Guardiola, Klopp or Tuchel?
Robin
I'd say any English manager need to have success either in the lower leagues then the Prem or abroad. That has worked for Graham Potter who I do feel will get a big club in the near future.
Wellwisher
When the new owners took over at Turf Moor they said:
1. Dyche could have a job "as long as he wants";
2. They wanted to take the club to "a new level" (OK, they managed that!);
3. They were going to make Burnley into an "international brand" - as if!

In other words, they don't know jack about running a "sawker" club, meaning they'll want a "name", meaning they'll likely not consider Duff (imo),.

Of course appointing MD would appease the fans, but if they were worried about that, they wouldnt have sacked Dyche the way they did.
robinsrule
Shade wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 15:55
robinsrule wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 14:46
How does a British manager become a realistic candidate? What do they need to do or achieve with a much smaller budget than the likes of Guardiola, Klopp or Tuchel?
It’s a good question and I don’t really know the answer - arguably Moyes now deserves another crack at a bigger job but would any of the aforementioned clubs take him on? And would you want him if you were a fan?

I’d say that right now Potter and Howe look like our most promising candidates, but why would Howe ever move if Newcastle progress and he has a massive budget? And personally it doesn’t bother me if a British manager doesn’t get a top job - if you are good enough, go abroad and win something there. The big boys here would soon take note.
Si Robin
Like Steve McLaren you mean?
Wellwisher
robinsrule wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 17:02 And personally it doesn’t bother me if a British manager doesn’t get a top job - if you are good enough, go abroad and win something there. The big boys here would soon take note.
British managers tend not to go abroad for much the same reason as British players tend not to - bar one or two huge clubs in a handful of countries, there are bigger salaries and more prestige etc in the PL than on the Continent, especially for "middling" managers. (The really big names can name their price anywhere). There is also, believe it or not, greater job security in England than in many European leagues (you get 6 months instead of 3!).

And these don't just apply to the PL; by a number of metrics - crowds, wages, stadia etc - the Championship is arguably the 6th biggest league in Europe.

While England is unique in having four f-t divisions, with the 5th (National League) mostly f-t now as well. Whereas even in Spain, France and Netherlands etc, from the third tier down, clubs are p-t and/or regionalised. Meaning that the Continental equivalent of Cheltenham Town wouldn't be employing a Michael Duff, since even if he was on a f-t wage, he wouldn't really want to be managing in the equivalent of National League North/South.

And, of course, the reverse is increasingly the case, which is why highly successful foreign managers are now coming to England eg Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte.
duckers
Upon reflection, it sounds like a Michael Duff rebuilding job. I hope he sticks with us until then.
Horteng
David Artell is the most uninspiring manager in football
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wellwisher wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 17:57
robinsrule wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 17:02 And personally it doesn’t bother me if a British manager doesn’t get a top job - if you are good enough, go abroad and win something there. The big boys here would soon take note.
British managers tend not to go abroad for much the same reason as British players tend not to - bar one or two huge clubs in a handful of countries, there are bigger salaries and more prestige etc in the PL than on the Continent, especially for "middling" managers. (The really big names can name their price anywhere). There is also, believe it or not, greater job security in England than in many European leagues (you get 6 months instead of 3!).

And these don't just apply to the PL; by a number of metrics - crowds, wages, stadia etc - the Championship is arguably the 6th biggest league in Europe.

While England is unique in having four f-t divisions, with the 5th (National League) mostly f-t now as well. Whereas even in Spain, France and Netherlands etc, from the third tier down, clubs are p-t and/or regionalised. Meaning that the Continental equivalent of Cheltenham Town wouldn't be employing a Michael Duff, since even if he was on a f-t wage, he wouldn't really want to be managing in the equivalent of National League North/South.

And, of course, the reverse is increasingly the case, which is why highly successful foreign managers are now coming to England eg Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte.
The slow but accelerating changing trend of Duff/Edwards/McKenna style appointments which is bringing success in L1 and L2 will gradually feed upwards I believe.

The likes of West Ham, Southampton, Palace, Leicester etc will start to realise that the best managers are under their noses in top flight U23s etc and will make Duff/Edwards/McKenna style appointments rather than take on more experienced failures from the merry-go-round of non-achieving managers.
Robin
Horteng wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 07:35 David Artell is the most uninspiring manager in football
Got Crewe promoted on a low budget and a twelth place finish though :lol: :lol:

Two more names I can think of whom may be somewhat realistic Nigel Adkins and Kenny Jackett. Both had a fair amount of success in the EFL but also a few failures.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 09:11
Horteng wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 07:35 David Artell is the most uninspiring manager in football
Got Crewe promoted on a low budget and a twelth place finish though :lol: :lol:

Two more names I can think of whom may be somewhat realistic Nigel Adkins and Kenny Jackett. Both had a fair amount of success in the EFL but also a few failures.
It’s a backwards step if we go for any of these has-been names you keep coming up with.

Fans like me will be put off and it will undo all the hard work trying to be done with the commercial side of things.
Robin
I'm coming up with names who I think would either be linked or we could potentially go for. We won't get Guaridola or Klopp.
Shade
Just a thought - Artell might still have a job if it weren’t for COVID, as we might have been promoted ahead of them in 2020, and they’d likely still be top half of League 2. Thank God Addai, was it, missed that sister that would have got us the draw at Crewe and promoted on PPG, iirc.

On the flip side, we wouldn’t have a L2 title to our name and MD might not have a job as it might be us bottom of L1 now in our second season!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:30 I'm coming up with names who I think would either be linked or we could potentially go for. We won't get Guaridola or Klopp.
Not sure what Pep or Guardiola have to do with it.

My point is, any of these names we could potentially go for are not what we need.

I am hoping Moore, maybe with Duff’s help, has lined up a short list of young new managers who none of us have ever heard of.
Nesty
Burnley have now won the last 2 games under the caretaker manager -
duckers
*1 win, 1 draw

Mike Jackson clearly getting a reaction and making an impact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
duckers wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:34 *1 win, 1 draw

Mike Jackson clearly getting a reaction and making an impact.
The run-in is going to be a thriller.
asl
Seen so many memes from Liverpool fans suggesting they appoint Benitez to keep them up at the expense of Everton...

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Warwickshire Robin
I know it is beginning to look less likely that Burnley will be looking at MD as new manager (fingers crossed anway!) but i see that Martin Devaney has just been promoted from Barnsley Academy Manager to Caretaker manager after their manager left following confirmation of their relegation.

Local lad and former player, possible replacement there if needed?!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Robin
Disco was linked here before, not convinced he'd make a good manager personally.

According to the bookies and media looks like Benitez or Carvohal are the two favourites for Burnley after Chris Wilder ruled himself out. Also Michael O'Neill may be leaving Stoke this summer that is one job I could see interesting Duff.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:52 Disco was linked here before, not convinced he'd make a good manager personally.
A Barnsley fan I know is hoping he's named their new manager. They've been very impressed by what he's done there.
RobinHood
Don’t think it really makes sense for Duff and Burnley at this time. Maybe in the 2000’s before Burnley spent some time in the Prem but the step up now is enormous.

With the way Burnley (and most other clubs dropping out of the PL) will be run I can’t see them taking a punt on Duff at this stage.

If Duff does take the step up my guess would be a club like Peterborough or similar, a team up the top of L1 or bottom half Championship team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RobinHood wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 18:38 Don’t think it really makes sense for Duff and Burnley at this time. Maybe in the 2000’s before Burnley spent some time in the Prem but the step up now is enormous.

With the way Burnley (and most other clubs dropping out of the PL) will be run I can’t see them taking a punt on Duff at this stage.

If Duff does take the step up my guess would be a club like Peterborough or similar, a team up the top of L1 or bottom half Championship team.
I don’t think Duff will go to a L1 team. Championship will be the lowest he leaves for.
Don’t forget he was recently moved up in seniority at Burnley and was working quite close to Dyche, so he knows that level.

It’s one of the reasons Duff had made so many L2 and L1 managers look like clowns.
Robin
Agree with RCS it will likely be a stable Championship job that's why Stoke sacking O'Neil would concern me. I don't think he'd turn down a Sunderland though if offered it.
Shade
Cheltenham to Stoke followed by Sunderland. Where have I heard that one before?
Wellwisher
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:52 Also Michael O'Neill may be leaving Stoke this summer that is one job I could see interesting Duff.
I don't have any inside info, but I'd be very surprised if Stoke didn't stick with O'Neill for another season (at least).

Having had their fingers burnt by hiring, then firing, a succession of managers, the long time, local and fabulously wealthy owners (Coates family) look to have settled on a long-term strategy by appointing him. While O'Neill himself left a well paid "job for life" with NI, where he was adored by all, to join Stoke, even after he'd turned down other offers (eg Scotland, WBA). Therefore he'll have sought, and likely got, a promise of security.

And despite some of their fans' impatience for more from this season (Play-offs, basically), O'Neill has completely transformed the squad from a League One-bound bunch of ageing, overpaid and underperforming PL mercenaries, to a much younger, hungry squad on realistic wages, including from the Academy. All this was done with no money, since they were bound by FFP rules.

Meanwhile, I believe O'Neill was recently given responsibility for the clubs' medical and sports science department, as well as his coaching duties, which suggests he's very well established at the Britannia.

Having said all that(!), if they did bin him, Stoke would be an excellent progression for your Michael.
Robin
To be honest I am only going on comments from the EFL show on Quest where it's been mentioned that Stoke and Birmingham may be thinking about new managers. Brum for me are clearly a big club but seem to have a circus show operating behind the scenes so I would think Duff wouldn't rush into that one however Stoke seems to be a well run club with decent owners who want to return to the Premier leagues so an ideal next step from here.