Retained list

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Anteros
Owen Evans transfer listed...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Assume we have keepers lined up, otherwise it is a risk.
slinky_dog
I agree with releasing Owen Evans. He wasn’t good enough. But I would have retained Flinders. Never understood why Owen Evan’s kept the gloves as long as he did
asl
I don't think there was much between them and clearly Duffo thinks we need better and neither want to be understudy.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
Wouldn't be surprised if Evans has asked to go on the list, to be honest, the way some of the fans have treated him. But he isn't gone yet. If nobody pays what we want then he will still be at the club next season.

Bit surprised by Conor Thomas being released. I know he missed a chunk of last season and I, for one, have at times throughout his Cheltenham career thought he was nowhere near good enough, but he had visibly stepped up and Duff always talked about how important he was.

So...how many players do we need to bring in, if we were to assume all of the contracts offered were to be signed?

Just seen Felix Miles has been released as well as a load of other scholars. I thought he was supposed to be being looked at by bigger clubs?

Scholars released: Jake Parsisson, Harvey Skurek, Joe Hunt, Will Taylor, Will Ramsey, Connor Jakeways, Charlie Dashfield, Josh Aldridge, Archie Woodall, Brennan Denness-Barrett and Felix Miles.
Si Robin
I feel for Owen. Think he's been made a scapegoat for the number of goals we've conceded this season, despite the fact the defence in front of him has been a lot worse than last season.

He may not be ready for League One as a number one, but he certainly has potential and, at 25, is still relatively young for a goalkeeper. I hope he stays and I hope he works his way back into the team.

I'm also surprised Connor Thomas has been let go - like Shade I think he'd come into his own and was an important player in the middle of the park.

Assuming all sign, that gives us 16 players (inclusive of Zac Guinan and Owen Evans). A big recruitment drive is needed and one assumes Mickey Moore and Duffo have their lists and are already making the right calls.
Robin
Certainly a few surprises in that list. Got to be looking to sign 8-10 players this summer now, going to be a busy couple of months.
HamTown
Really thought Sercombe was nailed on to be going but think it's wise to try and keep him

Shame to see Felix Miles go, with all these trials he's having wondering if he's got a little too ambitious and refused a contract offer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Owen is good enough but understandable if he doesn’t want to be understudy.

Also understandable if he doesn’t want to play in front of the boo boys (I won’t call them fans).
Horteng
Think Sercombe will go to BR especially if they get promoted today or through the playoffs. Surprised to see CT released. I am guessing this is injury related?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 07 May 2022, 06:34 Think Sercombe will go to BR especially if they get promoted today or through the playoffs. Surprised to see CT released. I am guessing this is injury related?
Good point about CT’s injury record. We need players who can run for 90 mins for 46 games.

Plus, moving on from players like CT is part of the transition to being a L1 side.

Remember the season just finished had pretty much a L2 eleven playing who had done well to achieve what they had in L1. If Duff thinks some are not at a genuine L1 level then right to move on an upgrade, like we did with Hussey.
Robin
Horteng wrote: 07 May 2022, 06:34 Think Sercombe will go to BR especially if they get promoted today or through the playoffs. Surprised to see CT released. I am guessing this is injury related?
I think Sercombe still lives in Bristol so it would make sense if they offer a better deal.
horlickfanclub
I am disappointed to see Colkett go. Looked useful and different to what we have.
Jerry St Clair
Evans is an interesting one. From close proximity in the PRE you could see his confidence eroding last season. He is quite timid, and doesn't have the command of his area as you'd expect a keeper to have.

But, he is technically good. A decent shot stopper, good with his feet, really trying to buy into the Duffo approach of playing our from the back (despite the brickbats being hurled his way from some in the PRE).

On balance, I'd like him to stay, regain some confidence and become a bigger presence at the back.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote: 07 May 2022, 09:40 I am disappointed to see Colkett go. Looked useful and different to what we have.
Hardly a surprise though, only made a handful of appearances in his 3-4 months and was bloody awful in is last start (he wasn’t alone there, mind) when he should have been making a claim for a contract.
Shade
Robin wrote: 07 May 2022, 07:40
I think Sercombe still lives in Bristol so it would make sense if they offer a better deal.
From what I remember, he was all set to go to them in January but we didn’t want to let him go, so we didn’t. If they still want him, I’d be surprised if he stays with us.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 07 May 2022, 10:22
horlickfanclub wrote: 07 May 2022, 09:40 I am disappointed to see Colkett go. Looked useful and different to what we have.
Hardly a surprise though, only made a handful of appearances in his 3-4 months and was bloody awful in is last start (he wasn’t alone there, mind) when he should have been making a claim for a contract.
Also if I remember rightly Duff said something along the lines of there was a big difference in expectations of salary between Colkett and the club
Garby74
I think Duff is making the correct decision with Owen.

He is a great shot stopper, no question.

However his distribution was hesitant and poor. Often putting the defence is sticky situations.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garby74 wrote: 08 May 2022, 06:18 I think Duff is making the correct decision with Owen.

He is a great shot stopper, no question.

However his distribution was hesitant and poor. Often putting the defence is sticky situations.
Equally fair to say that he is trying to do what Duff wants and build from the back, but faces the challenge of players like Boyle stumbling around slowly marked by players rather than finding a position for Evans to pass to.

When Williams played Evans definitely had more options, and that’s why we need more mobile L1 level centre backs.

Building from the back relies on the whole defensive unit working together. Evans does have areas to improve, but he is not solely to blame - it’s a group effort and group responsibility.

I hope Evans stays, but if he goes I hope the next keeper doesn’t face the same targeted and excessive abuse from a section of the crowd.