Sheffield Wednesday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Staying in L1 next season. Didn’t think we would play at Hillsborough again but we are. Won’t have the same appeal this time.

Saves 250 miles on the round trip compared to Sunderland (who I expect to beat Wycombe).
little mo
The quality of "football" on show last night was awful,especially in the first half.
longmover
One thing I noticed (from the playoff games and games at WR) is these BIG club fans only pipe up when they've scored then the commentators gush and fawn about how brilliant the atmosphere is.
Warwickshire Robin
longmover wrote: 10 May 2022, 08:18 One thing I noticed (from the playoff games and games at WR) is these BIG club fans only pipe up when they've scored then the commentators gush and fawn about how brilliant the atmosphere is.
I think that is true of most, if not all, clubs supporters these days sadly.

I think it is partially down to most people being sat down but my other theory is its down to the style of football. What gets supporters on their feet and maintaining a raucous atmosphere is goalmouth action and chances. With the current trend of playing out from the back and a more possession based game it becomes more of an interesting game than an edge of your seat excitement filled game that gets bums of seats, unless of course you are talking of the top, top teams who play out from the back but with skill and tempo.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 May 2022, 07:21 Staying in L1 next season. Didn’t think we would play at Hillsborough again but we are. Won’t have the same appeal this time.

Saves 250 miles on the round trip compared to Sunderland (who I expect to beat Wycombe).
One of the best away trips of the season, just over two hours to get there, cheap beer, decent city and good bunch of fans. I'd imagine it will still be one of the most popular trips or would people genuinely prefer to go to Milton Keynes and that soulless bowl where you can hear a pin drop? Or Fleetwood in front of 1800 home fans in a non-league standard ground. :lol:
Shade
Thought both second legs were pretty poor overall. But that's nervy play-off football for you sometimes, where the whole season rests on 90/180/270 minutes. Sometimes it is tight and tense and nobody is taking it by the scruff of its neck, sometimes a team falls apart (no, I'm not thinking about us v Northampton 2 years ago...ok, now I am) and sometimes you get a barnstormer like Exeter v Carlisle a few years ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 10 May 2022, 14:57
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 May 2022, 07:21 Staying in L1 next season. Didn’t think we would play at Hillsborough again but we are. Won’t have the same appeal this time.

One of the best away trips of the season, just over two hours to get there, cheap beer, decent city and good bunch of fans. I'd imagine it will still be one of the most popular trips or would people genuinely prefer to go to Milton Keynes and that soulless bowl where you can hear a pin drop? Or Fleetwood in front of 1800 home fans in a non-league standard ground. :lol:
I didn’t say it wouldn’t be popular, just the appeal would be less than last season.

We knew people who went who hadn’t been to a home or away game since Wembley and Spurs, for example, who only went as it was the first (potentially only) time we played at Hillsborough. They didn’t even go to the home game against Sheff Wed.

The appeal to those type of people will be less, even though it will be our biggest away crowd outside of London.
little mo
Wednesday fans are going to love it at FGR, especially if its a cold wet tuesday night in Jan/Feb.
Shade
little mo wrote: 10 May 2022, 18:10 Wednesday fans are going to love it at FGR, especially if its a cold wet tuesday night in Jan/Feb.
Derby fans too. I kind of hope Sunderland fans have to face it as well...
Robin
Shade wrote: 10 May 2022, 20:53
little mo wrote: 10 May 2022, 18:10 Wednesday fans are going to love it at FGR, especially if its a cold wet tuesday night in Jan/Feb.
Derby fans too. I kind of hope Sunderland fans have to face it as well...

Derby went there in the FA Cup so they would have already 'enjoyed' the experience.
Si Robin
That was a few years ago when away fans were given the decent stand behind the goal
Fuller
Anyone know what is happening with FGR new stadium?
Did it ever receive planning permission?
ctfc-fan
Fuller wrote:Anyone know what is happening with FGR new stadium?
I’m certain it did and there are archaeological digs going on there currently.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 11 May 2022, 15:44
Estimated 3-5 years for construction if I recall correctly?
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote: 11 May 2022, 15:44
Estimated 3-5 years for construction if I recall correctly?
By which time it’ll be a bit white elephant and not needed by the pub team