Michael Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote:Interestingly, and it seems to have flown under the radar, yesterday the club used a video of Duff on social media asking fans to buy a season ticket and he looked forward to seeing us next season.
Yes I saw that too. Not sure what it means in the long run but we can hope!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

little mo
Probably looking forward to seeing us at Oakwell.
Malabus
paperboy
News from todays press conference in Barnsley.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... ds-3715932
Horteng
paperboy wrote: 31 May 2022, 14:28 News from todays press conference in Barnsley.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... ds-3715932
Would genuinely be surprised if Duff fell for this move. Bad start and he could be out of work by Christmas having left probably THE safest job in football management. I would of thought he'd stay until someone better came along. I appreciate he thinks he's hit the ceiling here though which he probably has to be fair
Robin
This talk of hitting the ceiling is a bit much when you consider Accrington have just achieved back to back top half finishes.
London Exile
If I was Duff I’d be put off at having to go through this application process.

Obviously I’m biased but I think it’s a bit demeaning to ask MD to go through this public process especially given his record since taking over. I think he’s done more than enough to warrant a higher placed club say that’s our man, that’s the guy we want to take us forward.
In fairness I think it’s the same for JFH.

Absolutely Barnsley are a bigger club than us with far greater potential but I think the owner is being a bit disparaging to both managers and clubs playing out this 5 man application process in public.

I get reporters are asking questions but surely the Barnsley owner could play down their targets whilst going about getting the manager they want.
The fact they want to speak to multiple managers may be indicative that they don’t know what they really want which may put MD off (hopefully)
paperboy
If MD doesn't go to Barnsley we still end up with a (very good) manager who doesn't really want to be here.
It's a certainty that our board has sounded out potential replacements already.
FGR have acted well and speedily IMO.
Let's hope we do the same if necessary.
Si Robin
paperboy wrote: 31 May 2022, 19:46 If MD doesn't go to Barnsley we still end up with a (very good) manager who doesn't really want to be here.
I think there's a huge difference between not wanting to be here, and being interested in a similar role at a bigger club.

Again, as has been pointed out a good number of times now, no-one knows what Duff's position is on Barnsley's interest. Yes, he could have dismissed them out of hand, and the fact he hasn't indicates there is some interest from his side, but the level of that interest could be minimal. To him, it could simply be a practice run if a bigger club come in for him in the future. On the other hand, he could be desperate to go there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 31 May 2022, 20:24
paperboy wrote: 31 May 2022, 19:46 If MD doesn't go to Barnsley we still end up with a (very good) manager who doesn't really want to be here.
I think there's a huge difference between not wanting to be here, and being interested in a similar role at a bigger club.

Again, as has been pointed out a good number of times now, no-one knows what Duff's position is on Barnsley's interest. Yes, he could have dismissed them out of hand, and the fact he hasn't indicates there is some interest from his side, but the level of that interest could be minimal. To him, it could simply be a practice run if a bigger club come in for him in the future. On the other hand, he could be desperate to go there.
Once the head is turned once, even if just very slightly, feet get itchy and soon follow. Might not be Barnsley but I will be surprised if Duff is here this time next year.
Red Duke
It's a certainty that our board has sounded out potential replacements already.
FGR have acted well and speedily IMO.
Let's hope we do the same if necessary.
I am not so sure with your comment "doesn't really want to here". I have heard him say he is ambitious and wants to manage at a higher level but at the same time he could be the manager at CTFC for the next 10 years. So that doesn't tally with what you are saying.
Nesty
Every football club in the world faces having their manager's head turned by the possibility of managing a bigger club / and or for more money. Nobody is suggesting that they dont want to be there
Ihearye
We all know what MD would have done to any player who was messing about with the offer of a new contract. He wouldn't have put up with this situation and would have cut the string. Irrespective of whether he is genuinely interested or not. I am begining to lose some of the respect I had for him.
It is coming close to the time when I think the board should take a leaf out of the MD playbook and say, extension offer has gone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 09:30 We all know what MD would have done to any player who was messing about with the offer of a new contract. He wouldn't have put up with this situation and would have cut the string. Irrespective of whether he is genuinely interested or not. I am begining to lose some of the respect I had for him.
It is coming close to the time when I think the board should take a leaf out of the MD playbook and say, extension offer has gone.
That’s cutting off our nose to spite our face.

We want Duff as manager. But we have to respect he will be open to moves to bigger clubs.

If he goes then I wish him well. If Barnsley don’t make an offer, or the offer is not right, and he stays then that’s a good outcome for us.

He is still under contract with us until June 2023 so regardless of what is going on with Barnsley he will be fulfilling his duties with us to the best of his ability between now and when a decision is made, of that I am sure.

On a side note, for anyone wondering how Barnsley’s financial clout stacks up against ours:

“Meanwhile, El-Ahmad has confirmed that the club hierarchy have knocked back bids for some of their leading players and stressed that the board's injection of around £1m in equity into the club will buy some time regarding not accepting cut-price offers.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... 715932?amp
Nesty
Ihearye wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 09:30 We all know what MD would have done to any player who was messing about with the offer of a new contract. He wouldn't have put up with this situation and would have cut the string. Irrespective of whether he is genuinely interested or not. I am begining to lose some of the respect I had for him.
Has MD turned down a new contract ?
Ihearye
Has the signed one. What i am saying is that we all applaud him when he calls time on player contract negotiations and how he won't be messed about once he had made his offer. Would like the same principals when it comes to himself. This has been dragging on in the public domain for too long. My opinion which I believe I am allowed to have?
Warwickshire Robin
Thought it was interesting that in the Barnsley Chairman's presser yesterday when quizzed on the new Manager he referred to JFH as 'Jimmy' and MD as 'Duff'. Of course probably means nothing and is me grasping at straws but does it show his preference by being on first name terms with one and not the other?!
Robin
Is it Duff or Moore who sets the deadlines? My understanding is Duff just gives the final say but Moore does the negotiating and identifies the targets.
Nesty
Ihearye wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 15:15 Has the signed one. What i am saying is that we all applaud him when he calls time on player contract negotiations and how he won't be messed about once he had made his offer. Would like the same principals when it comes to himself. This has been dragging on in the public domain for too long. My opinion which I believe I am allowed to have?
I was not doubting or disagreeing with you - I just hadn't realised he had been offered a new deal and so far hadn't signed.
Robin
My understanding is that he hasn't been offered a deal as yet only been talked about, he says he's happy to sign it too.
little mo
Barnsley chairman saying today that players must be sold to cover shortfall. I know i keep saying it,but stay away Duffo,pretty sure you will so regret going there. You will eventually get so much better.
paperboy
Not sure how up-to-date this article is but..

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... h-position

Others could be added to the shortlist!
Warwickshire Robin
paperboy wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 08:45 Not sure how up-to-date this article is but..

Well if there aren't already enough red flags around this job then that report surely has to make MD think about ending his interest? The fact they are still thinking of adding new names after talks have supposedly taken place must mean Barnsley aren't 100% sure therefore not really a confidence boost for MD?
Robin
paperboy wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 08:45 Not sure how up-to-date this article is but..

Reading that it's unlikely Warnock goes there as they cannot afford his wages and he would want control on transfers which they won't allow (as they want a head coach only). Also sounds like Mick McCarthy turned down the job already.
paperboy
Eric Ramsay also on shortlist apparently.

Who??
Coach at Man Utd.
Fuller

The timeline in the article says today, 3rd June.
How many names do Barnsley want on their shortlist?
If I was Duffo I’d say ………………… (fill in your own words.)
Horteng
I don't understand why the Barnsley chairman is so open at this point unless its nonsense of course. The alarm bells would be ringing. Although obviously I want him to stay I don't begrudge Duff a good move but I don't think this would be a good one for him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 07:32 I don't understand why the Barnsley chairman is so open at this point unless its nonsense of course. The alarm bells would be ringing. Although obviously I want him to stay I don't begrudge Duff a good move but I don't think this would be a good one for him.
Don’t see why not.

People on here have criticised our club for not giving running updates, so at at least Barnsley cannot be accused of that!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 17:39

Yup, looks to be from 3rd June and still talks about the 13th June as the latest date for a new manager to be in place.

3-5 on a shortlist at this stage is fine. I am sure it will be whittled down to 2-3 before the final interviews.

A bit like us where some Board members wanted Keith Curle and others Duff, Barnsley are weighing up managers with different levels of experience and different approaches.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 08:41
Fuller wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 17:39

Yup, looks to be from 3rd June and still talks about the 13th June as the latest date for a new manager to be in place.

3-5 on a shortlist at this stage is fine. I am sure it will be whittled down to 2-3 before the final interviews.

A bit like us where some Board members wanted Keith Curle and others Duff, Barnsley are weighing up managers with different levels of experience and different approaches.
I wouldn’t want to see a Keith Curle journeyman type of manager at Whaddon Road. I’d rather we take a punt on someone like Martin Devaney.
Robin
Let me ask this would people want Martin Devaney if he wasn't originally from Cheltenham and played for the club? I see his name being mentioned but we should be appointing people based on their ability to do the role rather than nostalgia. This doesn't mean he can't do the role here as I understand he applied when Duff got it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 11:30 Let me ask this would people want Martin Devaney if he wasn't originally from Cheltenham and played for the club? I see his name being mentioned but we should be appointing people based on their ability to do the role rather than nostalgia. This doesn't mean he can't do the role here as I understand he applied when Duff got it.
Hard to say. I want a young manager I have never heard of from the coaching set up of a top flight or Championship club - another Duff/McKenna/Edwards etc. Devaney probably not been at a high enough level for long enough to fit that description. But I couldn’t name any names because I don’t study the coaching set ups. That’s where Moore (perhaps with recommendations from Duff) comes in.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 11:48
Robin wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 11:30 Let me ask this would people want Martin Devaney if he wasn't originally from Cheltenham and played for the club? I see his name being mentioned but we should be appointing people based on their ability to do the role rather than nostalgia. This doesn't mean he can't do the role here as I understand he applied when Duff got it.
Hard to say. I want a young manager I have never heard of from the coaching set up of a top flight or Championship club - another Duff/McKenna/Edwards etc. Devaney probably not been at a high enough level for long enough to fit that description. But I couldn’t name any names because I don’t study the coaching set ups. That’s where Moore (perhaps with recommendations from Duff) comes in.
Perhaps Moore would like a go the job if it becomes available? He was the manager at a few clubs before he joined us.
Robin
I would keep Mickey Moore where he is now, he's doing a great job there.
Fuller
Duffo interview at Barnsley on Monday apparently……