Michael Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Anteros
Just wish he could stay another season then I don't think anyone would begrudge him of leaving.
But it is only human nature to want to improve your self and want more.
CTFC.Harry
Anteros wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 17:32 Just wish he could stay another season then I don't think anyone would begrudge him of leaving.
[/quote

I wouldn't begrudge him leaving either but to Barnsley?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC.Harry wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 18:10
Anteros wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 17:32 Just wish he could stay another season then I don't think anyone would begrudge him of leaving.
Bigger club, more money, a team I (and probably Duffo) watched in the Premier League, who are Championship regulars in recent years. Oakwell capacity is over 18,000 (over 23,000 once West Stand fixed).

Yes we hear stories about the owners, but we don’t know the situation and they have already put £1m extra cash in this summer.

If Barnsley is the best offer he gets then I wish Duff all the best.
Horteng
Presumably the interview tomorrow is not the first?
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
CTFC.Harry wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 18:10
Bigger club, more money, a team I (and probably Duffo) watched in the Premier League, who are Championship regulars in recent years. Oakwell capacity is over 18,000 (over 23,000 once West Stand fixed).

Yes we hear stories about the owners, but we don’t know the situation and they have already put £1m extra cash in this summer.

If Barnsley is the best offer he gets then I wish Duff all the best.
Exactly. A step up for sure particularly in terms of profile, budget and ambition.

Different pressure fighting at the top end of the league but a proper chance of a promotion and then into the big time in the Championship.
Malabus
I consider this as a done deal. Wade Elliot will probably go with him too.
Shade
Regarding Devaney, I would want him over most other managers we could realistically get. It's beennproven over the last 25 years that we are most successful with a manager who knows the club, such as Cotts and Duff or someone is older and wiser, such as Ward and Johnson. It's the ones who don't know the club, want to do things all their own way, and don't recognize it's a different type of club, such as your Buckle's and Allen's, who get us into trouble.
Robin
Shade wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 16:28 Regarding Devaney, I would want him over most other managers we could realistically get. It's beennproven over the last 25 years that we are most successful with a manager who knows the club, such as Cotts and Duff or someone is older and wiser, such as Ward and Johnson. It's the ones who don't know the club, want to do things all their own way, and don't recognize it's a different type of club, such as your Buckle's and Allen's, who get us into trouble.
I think you could argue Martin Allen knew the club Shade, his father was manager here. I'd say it's more we just picked the wrong managers and association with the club is just coincidence more than anything.
paperboy
Malabus wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 13:54 I consider this as a done deal. Wade Elliot will probably go with him too.

Don't see this as a done deal at all.
Hasn't MD been on holiday?
Shortlist of five means a 20% chance and I'm not sure they will like MD's forthright manner and he might not be impressed with them either.
As for Wade, he wanted to be back near his Bristol home so Barnsley wouldn't fit that criteria.
If he wanted the Cheltenham job it would be difficult to bet against him getting it.
Add someone like Keith Downing who has left Plymouth and there would be a decent management group.

Oh and this guy could be a long shot.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... nt-3719787

Just idle Sunday evening rambling from me really.😀
Round Robin
This is a shambles that it’s taking so long . Seems like they can’t make their minds up. Most clubs have a person in mind straightaway so by dilly dallying it means there is no stand out candidate .

Are we identifying transfer targets while all this is going on . If Duff goes any new manager might not like the players he’s intending to bring in .

Sort it asap
Si Robin
Mickey Moore's job is to be identifying targets - not just the ones Duff wants, but those who will fit into the club ethos.

Any belief that the club is simply sitting on its hands waiting for this to resolve itself is completely naive.
longmover
Round Robin wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:20 This is a shambles that it’s taking so long . Seems like they can’t make their minds up. Most clubs have a person in mind straightaway so by dilly dallying it means there is no stand out candidate .

Are we identifying transfer targets while all this is going on . If Duff goes any new manager might not like the players he’s intending to bring in .

Sort it asap
CTFC always seem to be the "victim"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Round Robin wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:20 This is a shambles that it’s taking so long . Seems like they can’t make their minds up. Most clubs have a person in mind straightaway so by dilly dallying it means there is no stand out candidate .

Sort it asap
New owners, and new to English league one football. Makes sense to me they want to make an informed decision and do due diligence and I would not call it a shambles at all.

Absolutely CTFC, Moore, and Duff will be identifying targets and speaking to players, and I also expect we have our first, second and third choice managers identified and spoken to should we need to replace Duff.
duckers
Blackpool now looking for a young and up and coming manager after Gerrard's assistant and tactical / coaching brain Michael Beale left for QPR and Neil Critchley has gone to Villa. Talk of Duff, Dean Holden, Michael Carrick or Ian Evatt being considered.
Si Robin
Mark Halliwell tweeted the Blackpool odds earlier and Duff wasn't in the top 10. Of course, that doesn't mean they're not interested.
paperboy
...and now they've made an official approach according to JP.
CTFC.Harry
Duff to Blackpool makes sense. I give him permission to go there.