Michael Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
little mo
As some of you know,I live in Donny and know some Barnsley fans who all say it is now a basket case of a club. Stay away Duffo.If or when you go,you can do much much better than them.
Robin
Bloody hell, not what we need as we are planning for pre-season and need to get our recruitment done quickly. I hope this doesn't drag on long one way or another, and hopefully he stays as there are not many inspiring alternatives out there right now.
Horteng
Think Duffo will want a more attractive proposition to move from the safest job in football management. He's too wise to chase big money for 6 months or a year then be out of work
paperboy
Be surprising if Barnsley would make an official approach if they hadn't received any encouragement.
Hope he stays, but if we struggle next season his star will wane quite quickly and become a forgotten man.
Better to lose him now rather than mid-season.
Robin
They've also been courting Jimmy Floyd at Burton so this may not yet be a done deal.
Nesty
Why would Mike Duff go from one L1 club to another? -
Si Robin
Robin
Are Barnsley a money club though Si, I thought they had one of the lowest Championship budgets last season along with Luton. Can't imagine they will have a top budget next season compared to the big clubs.
Si Robin
Maybe not, but they can pay a lot more than we can.

For what it's worth, I don't think he'll go. I think he's holding out for something bigger, but lets not kid ourselves. We're on a level with Morecambe, Accrington and Cambridge. Barnsley are just below your big ex-Premier League clubs.
Robin
No doubt they can pay more than us and I agree we are small fish in this league just don't see cash being the reason for Duff to go to Barnsley when they'll probably not have a big budget even at this level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP putting Duff’s record at the end like that is ominous. Usually only does that once a manager goes.
bigdavejambo
Devanney is at Barnsley isnt he? maybe he has mentioned him behind the scenes
little mo
If he goes there will Boyle end up there as well. It's local for him.
Uppy
Si Robin wrote: 18 May 2022, 18:41 Maybe not, but they can pay a lot more than we can.

For what it's worth, I don't think he'll go. I think he's holding out for something bigger, but lets not kid ourselves. We're on a level with Morecambe, Accrington and Cambridge. Barnsley are just below your big ex-Premier League clubs.
Are they though? I’d say Barnsley are pretty considerably below the big ex-premier league teams. Had the 19th highest attendance in the championship, don’t spend much money, and finished bottom.
Si Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 19 May 2022, 06:48 Devanney is at Barnsley isnt he? maybe he has mentioned him behind the scenes
Devaney wants the job there. A Barnsley fan I know wants him to be given a chance.
Si Robin
Uppy wrote: 19 May 2022, 07:10
Si Robin wrote: 18 May 2022, 18:41 Maybe not, but they can pay a lot more than we can.

Are they though? I’d say Barnsley are pretty considerably below the big ex-premier league teams. Had the 19th highest attendance in the championship, don’t spend much money, and finished bottom.
Only a year ago they were in the Championship playoffs - somewhat surprisingly - but they were there.

I didn't put them in the same class as Sunderland/Sheff Weds/Derby, but they are considerably bigger than us, and can pay a lot more than we can. By all accounts they've sorted their backroom issues out at board level. There's a reason to be concerned about this approach.

As I said though, I don't see Duff going there.
longmover
One re-occurring theme in Duff's interviews is BUDGET RESTRICTIONS he always makes sure people know he is restricted by the budget at CTFC, I should imagine he wants to work with better players and those players aren't going to coming to CTFC. Barnsley can offer players bigger wages and bigger sign on fees to Duff I can see the attraction.
Last edited by longmover on 19 May 2022, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t know the accuracy of this but their wage bill is a different level to ours.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... /barnsley/
Robin
longmover wrote: 19 May 2022, 08:38 One re-occurring theme in Duff's interview is BUDGET RESTRICTIONS he always makes sure people know he is restricted by the budget at CTFC, I should imagine he wants to work with better players and those players aren't going to coming to CTFC. Barnsley can offer players bigger wages and bigger sign on fees to Duff I can see the attraction.
Barnsley will clearly have a bigger budget than ours but here is the key problem in the Championship they are a pretty similar footing to us in league one. Even at this level Barnsley most likely won't have a top budget that's why I don't see him going there for money. If he leaves it will be because he feels he can get them up (most likely quickly) and do well in the league above which is not a given under the limited budget they work on compared to other clubs. In simple terms he will face budget restrictions at Barnsley especially if he does get them back up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 10:40
longmover wrote: 19 May 2022, 08:38 One re-occurring theme in Duff's interview is BUDGET RESTRICTIONS he always makes sure people know he is restricted by the budget at CTFC, I should imagine he wants to work with better players and those players aren't going to coming to CTFC. Barnsley can offer players bigger wages and bigger sign on fees to Duff I can see the attraction.
Barnsley will clearly have a bigger budget than ours but here is the key problem in the Championship they are a pretty similar footing to us in league one. Even at this level Barnsley most likely won't have a top budget that's why I don't see him going there for money. If he leaves it will be because he feels he can get them up (most likely quickly) and do well in the league above which is not a given under the limited budget they work on compared to other clubs. In simple terms he will face budget restrictions at Barnsley especially if he does get them back up.
They will be a top 6 budget in L1
Si Robin
JP reporting they've been given permission to speak to Duff.
Robin
Top 6 budget are you sure? Derby and Posh will very likely have more, then add in Ipswich, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, Charlton, Bolton and possibly Sunderland if they don't go up. Maybe also Oxford and Plymouth. Don't get me wrong it's likely to be a competitive one for this league as they are a bit of a yo-yo club but is it enough to get promoted and then more importantly avoid the drop in the Championship, that's the key.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 12:33 JP reporting they've been given permission to speak to Duff.
Hmm that's not good. Usually means the decision to leave has been made just remains to be seen whether Barnsley do enough to convince him that they are the right place to leave for. Thought that the location would be the issue particularly from a family point of view but that seems not to be the case if he is going to talk to them.
Si Robin
They've been given permission, nothing said about his wish to speak to them.
HamTown
Shame he hasn't signed that new contract already for the extra compensation

Sadly I think he'll go even if the location isn't ideal
Warwickshire Robin
True Si, but one thing doesn't normally happen without the other. I wouldn't have thought you give permission to speak if there was no interest from MD?
Last edited by Warwickshire Robin on 19 May 2022, 13:04, edited 2 times in total.
Shade
Exactly, they must have asked MD if he has any interest before giving permission, otherwise they'd have just said no, not interested, bye.
Warwickshire Robin
Interesting thread on the Barnsley Fans Forum. Starts off with 'who's he?' to by the end most appearing to think he is the man! Plenty of comments about why would he come to a mess like Barnsley but I guess we are just going to have to hold our breath and wait to see how it all pans out and hope for the best.

https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/miche ... ch.314243/
Shade
Quite a few Barnsley fans showing their ignorance on twitter, that's for sure.

Starting to feel ominous. The search for a replacement would at least be fairly early in the summer so a new manager could hopefully get in some players that they would want...
Robin
I agree Duff must have shown some interest in talking to them if we've given them permission to speak with him. On a different note anyone else get a similar vibe as to when we gave Cotterill permission to speak to Oxford all those years ago?
Robin
Shade wrote: 19 May 2022, 13:21 Quite a few Barnsley fans showing their ignorance on twitter, that's for sure.

Starting to feel ominous. The search for a replacement would at least be fairly early in the summer so a new manager could hopefully get in some players that they would want...
This actually concerns me most. Firstly I don't see any candidates out there that fit or inspire confidence and secondly we have (if you believe the grapevine) a few players lined up to sign which could fall through if we lose Duff.
HamTown
Shorter end of season with World cup this year too
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 14:23
Shade wrote: 19 May 2022, 13:21 Quite a few Barnsley fans showing their ignorance on twitter, that's for sure.

This actually concerns me most. Firstly I don't see any candidates out there that fit or inspire confidence and secondly we have (if you believe the grapevine) a few players lined up to sign which could fall through if we lose Duff.
Agreed, and I am not sure what sort of candidates we would attract. We are pretty much at our glass ceiling without significant investment so it could be viewed as the only way is down.

The other problem is, even if MD stays, players we are trying to sign may now look and think well the manager may not be around too much longer if he is talking to other clubs already and so may choose to go elsewhere with a more settled situation.
longmover
I should imagine he would like to take May with him (Doncaster is just down the road).