Michael Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Hey, why don't we all play worst case scenarios... :lol:

Back in the National League for 2024/25. It's already sorted.

I'd just like to point out that Michael Duff was on nobody's radar on the day Gary Johnson was sacked. IF and when Duff leaves, there are plenty of young ambitious managers out there that would love to be given a chance, such as Duff and Edwards. Just have to find the right one. Last thing we want is another multi-club failure, such as those that have relegated us in the past.
Red Duke
Also, I remember when Steve Cotterill was interviewed for the Oxford job and most people considered a foregone conclusion that he was gone but he rejected the offer and stayed at CTFC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 12:39 Top 6 budget are you sure? Derby and Posh will very likely have more, then add in Ipswich, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, Charlton, Bolton and possibly Sunderland if they don't go up. Maybe also Oxford and Plymouth. Don't get me wrong it's likely to be a competitive one for this league as they are a bit of a yo-yo club but is it enough to get promoted and then more importantly avoid the drop in the Championship, that's the key.
Yes I think they will have more spending power than Charlton, Bolton, Oxford, Plymouth, Wycombe and match Peterborough and MK.
bigdavejambo
Martin Allen lined up as his replacement ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:21 Martin Allen lined up as his replacement ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Might be a good idea to look at the FGR next manager odds I'd guess we would be linked with similar.
Si Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:21 Martin Allen lined up as his replacement ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
There aren't many appointments that will stop me renewing my season ticket - he is one of them though.
little mo
If Duffo goes,(and i really hope he stays) will he take Wade Elliot with him. If he does,then i think we will have a real problem.
little mo
Si Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:40
There aren't many appointments that will stop me renewing my season ticket - he is one of them though.
Steve Evans being another one. :shock:
shevates
We need that lucky Gloucester couple to be CTFC supporters and invest some loose change into our club. If Duffo goes I feel the worst for us im afraid, really depressing news
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:35
Might be a good idea to look at the FGR next manager odds I'd guess we would be linked with similar.
Ian Burchnall (Notts County) is currently the evens favourite, followed by Ian Foster (England u19) and Paul Tisdale.

Regarding any new appointment, I believe this from Mickey Moore's interview in February says a lot about the type of manager we'd be going for:

Moore accepts Duff is firmly on course to climb up the ladder as a manager, just as he did as a player.

“I hope we don’t lose him, but you have to be realistic like we are with players,” he says.

“We want a reputation for producing and developing players so can we also get a reputation for producing and developing managers?

“We have to remember the staff we have here too. Russ Milton has been here since we both walked in and been brilliant and we’ve added to the staff.

“Michael stands in the dugout and speaks to the media, but there are lots of other people who make massive contributions to the three points on a Saturday, doing some wonderful work.
Si Robin
little mo wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:43
Si Robin wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:40
Steve Evans being another one. :shock:
Correct
bigdavejambo
would anybody risk giving Russ a chance?
Si Robin
He's had two - once when Buckle was sacked and also when Johnson was out ill. As much as he's a thoroughly decent bloke, and no doubt a decent coach, he's not a manager/head coach.
Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:55 would anybody risk giving Russ a chance?
That's a firm no from me.
andgarod
I think Russ Penn could be a possible candidate

The problem is we have a different chairman from Wilcox
Our current chairman I would suggest is more cautious than Wilcox

Duff is a match because he had CTFC in his blood and family ties
SC was the same

Duff has built in the backroom staff
Russ Milton is mister nice guy but we now need someone with credibility and experience but is still hungry
Has reg Varney done his coaching badges
darreno
We knew this would happen at some point. Best it happens soon if it does happen. We need a manager in place quickly who can get some quality players in. Next season will be tough enough without this sort of upheaval.

Just praying we can stay up again :(
Si Robin
andgarod wrote: 19 May 2022, 19:40 Has reg Varney done his coaching badges
Last I heard he was training to be a personal trainer, and when he was released two years ago he said he didn't see himself as a coach.

Also, he has literally no management experience.

Russ Penn or Jerry Gill would be interesting options. Both have done relatively well at National North/South level, but does that equate to doing well in League 1. Yates made the step up well to League 2, but that was from the Conference. Picking a manager just on their history with the club isn't always the best option.

John Ward had no history with the club and he was a big success. Same with Gary Johnson.

Whoever comes in will probably be as a head coach with Mickey Moore still being in charge of recruitment. A Martin Devaney, ironically, may not be the worst route to go down. As I've said on here a couple of times, a Barnsley fan I know is hoping he gets the chance for their job - he's apparently done really well as their u23 manager.
Robin
Ward was a great appointment, he'd had success at many of his prior clubs and everyone spoke well of him. Just a no frills steady, experienced manager. Dare I say it's he's exactly the sort of person I think our current board (and the person who pulls their strings) will be looking for although I'm just not sure I see that person out there at the moment.

One left field option, and maybe I'm reaching, but what about Michael Appleton? He's an excellent coach, over achieved at Lincoln, plays good football and known to bring on young players. Not sure he'd want to come here but would have to be on a short list at this moment.
Ihearye
Think I will hold off from picking a replacement, when and until MD actually says he is going. I can imagine Mrs D saying, for a minute I thought you said Barnsley!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Duff does go I would want another Duff/Edwards/McKenna style appointment. So someone I haven’t heard from a top flight U23s or similar.
Poxx
Keith Downing available after leaving Plymouth.

Backward step?

Hope Duff will not leave but I think he will at some point.
andgarod
Duff will leave thats for sure but perhaps not this time

So is he testing the water
So how much extra pay will Barnsley give him
So when he discusses his contract with our chairman he knows his value to CTFC
He will also know what he can get elsewhere
He went for 30K and a friendly last time
Lets hope its more than that when he goes

I assume the chairman will turn to his mentor who has made one or 2 horrendous appointment MA and Buckle lets not make it 3
We live in interesting times
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Poxx wrote: 19 May 2022, 23:49 Keith Downing available after leaving Plymouth.

Backward step?

Hope Duff will not leave but I think he will at some point.
A gigantic backwards leap.
Si Robin
andgarod wrote: 20 May 2022, 06:43 I assume the chairman will turn to his mentor who has made one or 2 horrendous appointment MA and Buckle lets not make it 3
The same man who also appointed John Ward, Mark Yates and Gary Johnson of course (I think Arthur Hayward was Steve Cotterill).
paperboy
IF MD leaves would Wade throw his hat in the ring or is he like Russ, more suited as a coach rather than a leader?

Hoping that MD's wife suddenly realises that Barnsley isn't near to Cirencester.😉
Si Robin
Wade will go with him.
paperboy
Wade joined us as he wanted to be Bristol based for domestic reasons.
Circumstances change of course....
SHANDY VOR
shevates wrote: 19 May 2022, 18:43 We need that lucky Gloucester couple to be CTFC supporters and invest some loose change into our club. If Duffo goes I feel the worst for us im afraid, really depressing news
I've already sent them a begging letter, turns out they're not sports fans.

I'm not surprised your manager is considering leaving. While it might be a ploy to get a better/longer contract I think the reality might be that he's had a wonderful season by keeping you in League One, and its going to be hard to repeat that. So if he is career minded he wants to cash in now while his star is shining, however I too am a little surprised that it would be Barnsley - I really don't think they're going anywhere soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe Duff knows some better clubs are interested but are being slow to make a proper approach so has gone public with Barnsley approach to force the others to act.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 May 2022, 12:28 Maybe Duff knows some better clubs are interested but are being slow to make a proper approach so has gone public with Barnsley approach to force the others to act.
As far as I've seen Duff is the only one who hasn't made a statement about the approach, Barnsley and Cheltenham have
Si Robin
When did the club make a statement? There's nothing on Twitter or the website.

I have no reason at all to disbelieve JP, but all of the reporting on this has come from him and backed up by some local Barnsley journos.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 20 May 2022, 12:41
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 May 2022, 12:28 Maybe Duff knows some better clubs are interested but are being slow to make a proper approach so has gone public with Barnsley approach to force the others to act.
As far as I've seen Duff is the only one who hasn't made a statement about the approach, Barnsley and Cheltenham have
JP didn’t make it up - someone briefed him.
Robin
It's probably come from someone within the club rather than Duff himself, apparently compensation would be minimal (as it only covers his notice period).
Fuller
Needs sorting one way or the other asap.
Season ticket sales should be at their height next week and more than a few might well be wavering if we are sans our glorious leader.
HamTown
Si Robin wrote: 20 May 2022, 13:27 When did the club make a statement? There's nothing on Twitter or the website.

I have no reason at all to disbelieve JP, but all of the reporting on this has come from him and backed up by some local Barnsley journos.
"Statement" was a bit strong but the journos are clearly being fed by info from the clubs