Detailed 'Next Manager' article

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benny Profane
https://www.bettingodds.com/news/next-c ... -russ-penn

...........based on that I have a slight hunch for Caldwell, but honestly I don't know.

Get a balance between being a modern, tactically flexible coach who can get the best out of the squad AND have contacts in the game higher up to get good loans in; points to getting a highly regarded U-23 coach from higher up who has hitherto hidden managerial ambitions, so they wouldn't likely be on a list like this anyway.

Good read though!
Ihearye
Good read. The comments on the board and general organisation of the club, are points well made. Adds to the concern that these folk are selecting the manager.
Horteng
Pretty sure it will be Wade. Easy/ cheap option (Not a criticism btw)
Anteros
What a cracking article! Impressed with the editor for his research and knowledge
Ralph
Horteng wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 16:57 Pretty sure it will be Wade. Easy/ cheap option (Not a criticism btw)
Don't forget "continuity"
Si Robin
The more I think about it, the less I think it'll be Wade. Something tells me he doesn't really want it and is happy just being a first team coach.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 17:35 The more I think about it, the less I think it'll be Wade. Something tells me he doesn't really want it and is happy just being a first team coach.
I do hope you are correct
Si Robin
Why?

Did you think Mickey Duff was an awful appointment because he had no first team management experience?

Picking Wade may not just be the cheap option, it may not even be cheap, he may well be the best option. After a round of interviews it may well be that the perfect candidate is right under our noses.

I don't think he will be the next man, but I'm certainly not hoping he's not. In fact, as long as it's not someone like Steve Evans, I'll be more than happy to give any new coach the benefit of the doubt.
Benny Profane
Duff fitted the exact template I outlined above (technical coach, seemingly decent links enabling good loans etc) as well as the added bonus of having a connection to the club. Of those criteria, I would say the latter was just that, a bonus. There are coaches (notice not 'managers') out there who could fit. Finding them/getting them is the tricky bit, alongside the extra complication of time; rush it & make a hasty decision we later regret (Buckle?!?!) or drag our feet & miss out on the signings we so clearly need.

Interesting times though! ;)
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 18:27 Why?

Did you think Mickey Duff was an awful appointment because he had no first team management experience?

Picking Wade may not just be the cheap option, it may not even be cheap, he may well be the best option. After a round of interviews it may well be that the perfect candidate is right under our noses.

I don't think he will be the next man, but I'm certainly not hoping he's not. In fact, as long as it's not someone like Steve Evans, I'll be more than happy to give any new coach the benefit of the doubt.
Mainly because, I have this nagging fear that the board would look for the 'easiest', devil you know option. In my mind, we have Wade and his experience at the club already. Why not look to supplement that with new blood and 'modern' ideas. Would we have appointed Duff under the current regime? Maybe we would, but there has always been a tendency towards conservatism. Bless them, we are still awaiting a good food franchise to be chosen after all these years :).
For me, Moore and Wade give the continuity doing their current jobs (presuming a new manager would keep them).
Si Robin
New manager will answer to Mickey Moore.

I'm not sure how many more times it needs repeating, Moore is not part of the club coaching staff. A new Head Coach (as they are going to be known) is not going to be able to get rid of Mickey Moore.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 19:40 New manager will answer to Mickey Moore.

I'm not sure how many more times it needs repeating, Moore is not part of the club coaching staff. A new Head Coach (as they are going to be known) is not going to be able to get rid of Mickey Moore.
It is entirely possible that current employees may find it impossible to or not want to, work with the new appointee? That is unless the assumption is that Moore only lists people he wants to work with. Which would be an odd way for a club to operate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 16:37 Good read. The comments on the board and general organisation of the club, are points well made. Adds to the concern that these folk are selecting the manager.
Completely agree. The pressure is on the Board to get this right. I just hope Mickey Moore is calling the shots.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 20:21
Si Robin wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 19:40 New manager will answer to Mickey Moore.

It is entirely possible that current employees may find it impossible to or not want to, work with the new appointee? That is unless the assumption is that Moore only lists people he wants to work with. Which would be an odd way for a club to operate.
I would hope the initial list is based on credentials, and then the interviews give Moore the chance to see if the candidates are a good fit. Moore will essentially be the line manager of the head coach, and it is normal for a line manager to interview their prospective team members to see if they would be a good fit or not. I don’t see why anyone else on the Board would have more of a say than Moore, who is responsible for recruitment on the playing side of things.
Shade
Very good article. The full odds list is comedy gold. More names popping up daily, it seems, that will never be employed by the club in a million years.
Robin
Shade wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 00:44 Very good article. The full odds list is comedy gold. More names popping up daily, it seems, that will never be employed by the club in a million years.
It shows people are betting on them or have requested a price on them at least.

Reading this thread I don't think some posters understand that Mickey Moore is Director of Football, he leads the football side of the club and did so even when Duff was here. That means he oversees the academy through to first team, he handles all new contract negotiations and through his scouting team identifies new signings. People talk about a new coach having good contacts, whilst that will help to an extent, that's now what we are recruiting for here.
andgarod
I think the good contacts is important not because it makes it easier but it allows others to trust what CTFC is and what added value they can give
The good loans over the last couple of years will inspire confidence providing we get the correct coach
The Hull loanees came in because Duff/McCann trusted each other
Shade
Robin wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 01:23
Shade wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 00:44 Very good article. The full odds list is comedy gold. More names popping up daily, it seems, that will never be employed by the club in a million years.
I know, and it's hilarious that anybody would think that some of those names could end up here. If they are actually betting on them then they should give up with that kind of knowledge.
Robin
I've just looked at the latest odds Michael Appleton has gone from favourite to 16-1 and Chris Beech has come in from a long shot to the new favourite. That may reflect that Appleton has distanced himself from the job and Beech has made our shortlist.

Also who is Luke Tisdale? Another random name that has risen up the favourites list all of a sudden.
Ihearye

Reading this thread I don't think some posters understand that Mickey Moore is Director of Football, he leads the football side of the club and did so even when Duff was here. That means he oversees the academy through to first team, he handles all new contract negotiations and through his scouting team identifies new signings. People talk about a new coach having good contacts, whilst that will help to an extent, that's now what we are recruiting for here.
So if it came to it, the club would have got rid of MD and not MM? You can identify all the players you want, They will come because they want to play the style of football that is being played, who is coaching them day in day out, who can develop their playing skills etc. Also it is someone that the parent club trusts to do those things.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 12:43 I've just looked at the latest odds Michael Appleton has gone from favourite to 16-1 and Chris Beech has come in from a long shot to the new favourite. That may reflect that Appleton has distanced himself from the job and Beech has made our shortlist.

Also who is Luke Tisdale? Another random name that has risen up the favourites list all of a sudden.
It might also mean that someone put a tenner on Chris Beech. I'm sure I read somewhere that new manager markets are the absolute worse because they're so easy to manipulate.

Luke Tisdale has just left Coventry as u23 manager. Did well with them by all accounts. Only 30, which might count against him.

EDIT: He's 32 not 30.
Robin
Ihearye wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 12:56

So if it came to it, the club would have got rid of MD and not MM? You can identify all the players you want, They will come because they want to play the style of football that is being played, who is coaching them day in day out, who can develop their playing skills etc. Also it is someone that the parent club trusts to do those things.
The club could get rid of either of them but make no mistake Moore oversees the entire football side of the club. Duff was pretty involved in that but it's Moore who identifies the potential signings and does the negotiations with them not Duff or his successor. The Coach/Mgr now simply tells the DOF what positions/attributes they are looking for and gives a thumbs up to a proposal.
Warwickshire Robin
Chris Beech doesn't really fall into the 'exciting, up and coming coach' category for me. Would be disappointed if we go that way on his managerial record to date:-
Rochdale (Caretaker) W0, D3, L3
Carlisle W28, D28, L32 all in League 2 with an 18th place finish in the Covid hit season, 10th place finish in 20/21 and then got the sack in October 21 with Carlisle sitting 3rd bottom.
Si Robin
He was also extremely critical of the club, unnecessarily so, when we played them, both after the home and away games in the Championship season.

Mark Halliwell has just mentioned on Twitter that John Eustace has left his role at QPR. That would be a very astute appointment.
CTFC.Harry
No chance the club would employ Chris Beech. Eustace looks like he’d be a good appointment. Decent managerial experience and good experience as an assistant at a high level with QPR and Ireland although that’s hardly a high level! 😉
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 13:38 He was also extremely critical of the club, unnecessarily so, when we played them, both after the home and away games in the Championship season.

Mark Halliwell has just mentioned on Twitter that John Eustace has left his role at QPR. That would be a very astute appointment.
Eustace was linked with the Watford job and highly rated, I agree it would be a great appointment potentially but I feel he'll be looking higher up the pyramid for his first job.
paperboy
    Robin wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 14:40
    Si Robin wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 13:38 He was also extremely critical of the club, unnecessarily so, when we played them, both after the home and away games in the Championship season.

Eustace was linked with the Watford job and highly rated, I agree it would be a great appointment potentially but I feel he'll be looking higher up the pyramid for his first job.
    Think he's been lined up for Birmingham City for a while.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... er-7202532
    RegencyCheltenhamSpa
    That article makes several references to May likely to be leaving this summer. Worrying.