MDs first press conference

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Short extract here.
Main takeaway is he says he spoke to 2 or 3 other clubs.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... fc-3734305

Duff arrives and Mark's and Spencer announces it is closing its store.
Doubt the two are related though. ;)
Ihearye
He didn't want to stay, not interested - move on to next chapter
Nesty
I agree. I also cannot help thinking that MD's departure this time is tainted in much the same way as when he left for Burnley in 2004 when it was widely rumoured toys were being throw out of his pram.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 17:24 Deeper interview here.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... erstitions
Thanks. Interesting read.
Horteng
Duff bringing in an assistant. Will it be from us?
Fuller
Horteng wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 19:18 Duff bringing in an assistant. Will it be from us?
Think he wants a first team coach and we’ve only got one of those……
Ihearye
Nesty wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 17:03 I agree. I also cannot help thinking that MD's departure this time is tainted in much the same way as when he left for Burnley in 2004 when it was widely rumoured toys were being throw out of his pram.
Agree, he played us like a fiddle
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 15:03
Nesty wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 17:03 I agree. I also cannot help thinking that MD's departure this time is tainted in much the same way as when he left for Burnley in 2004 when it was widely rumoured toys were being throw out of his pram.
Well, let's be honest, MD has ALWAYS played the little old Cheltenham card, said we're a selling club, a smaller club than the majority of clubs we come up against, players come to us to move on to better things, etc, and he has never shied away from the fact he eventually wanted to leave us to go to a bigger club, so we have always known what he thinks of the club - a stepping stone with a fond place in his heart because it's twice given him the foot up to better things. In his mind I'm sure he is being very fair and honest, even if to us it feels a bit disrespectful that he would basically jump ship to any old mess of a club at the first offer because they're bigger.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yup. That’s life, business and football. Should be no hard feelings from us. I hope he does well.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 15:53
Ihearye wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 15:03
Well, let's be honest, MD has ALWAYS played the little old Cheltenham card, said we're a selling club, a smaller club than the majority of clubs we come up against, players come to us to move on to better things, etc, and he has never shied away from the fact he eventually wanted to leave us to go to a bigger club, so we have always known what he thinks of the club - a stepping stone with a fond place in his heart because it's twice given him the foot up to better things. In his mind I'm sure he is being very fair and honest, even if to us it feels a bit disrespectful that he would basically jump ship to any old mess of a club at the first offer because they're bigger.
No problem with him looking after himself, end of. If I had the time I would go back over JP's numerous interviews when he asked about an extension to his contract. MD response was always along the lines of plenty of time to discuss it once the season is over. The first time that line was used, I thought to myself, he is off and making sure there is only a years compensation to pay CTFC. It was akin to SC body language when we won the playoffs. It looked like he already knew that was it.
Once the season was over, we all know what happened. Time will tell if Barnsley are the great stepping stone he is looking for. Personally surprised that another L1 team was part of his masterplan.
Si Robin
Reading his first interview with Barnsley, I think it's clear they are just another stepping stone as well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 17:25 Reading his first interview with Barnsley, I think it's clear they are just another stepping stone as well.
Yup. Unless he gets them to the top flight then its a stepping stone. It’s mutually beneficial…the only way he gets a better job is by being successful at Barnsley, which is a good outcome for them.
Shade
So what is MD’s master plan? What will his end goal be? Managing Burnley and getting them back into Europe? Probably the best he can hope for, I’d have thought, given the lack of opportunities at top PL clubs.
Warwickshire Robin
Shade wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 09:54 So what is MD’s master plan? What will his end goal be? Managing Burnley and getting them back into Europe? Probably the best he can hope for, I’d have thought, given the lack of opportunities at top PL clubs.
International management with Northern Ireland maybe?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 09:54 So what is MD’s master plan? What will his end goal be? Managing Burnley and getting them back into Europe? Probably the best he can hope for, I’d have thought, given the lack of opportunities at top PL clubs.
Get as high as he can get I imagine. Be successful at each job he has and then see if that gets him an offer at a higher/bigger club. There will be a limit reached, but it makes sense that Duff thinks “get as high as I can” rather than thinking “I am going to limit my ambition for the next 20 years to never getting higher than 7th in the PL with Burnley”.
ctfc-fan
Think back to Cotterill though and how his promotions ended…
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:18 Think back to Cotterill though and how his promotions ended…
That’s life. Some people start businesses and become billionaires, others start and go bankrupt after a year.

Just because some people don’t succeed doesn’t mean no one should have ambition.

If Duff wants to manage at the highest level he can get to, then good luck to him. It’s as simple as that.
Shade
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:27
Good call. Getting NI to another tournament would probably be the biggest achievement.
Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 10:27
That's where he's likely to end up after he's essentially retired from club football.