Duff Watch

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Thought I'd title this so that we can just add posts in one place - sure the novelty will wear off soon!
Some interesting comments here from MD.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... -with-bids
Robin
So he refuses to rule out making moves for players at Cheltenham and also confirms Barnsley targets are also on our list of summer targets. A lovely double whammy.

If we sell anyone to Barnsley then we need to be pushing the price right up here.
Warwickshire Robin
Considering he supposedly moved on to a club with bigger ambition than us, to be buying players from CTFC and going for the same targets as us doesn't really suggest mega ambition does it?
Nesty
PORK SCRATCHINGS
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 09:40 Considering he supposedly moved on to a club with bigger ambition than us, to be buying players from CTFC and going for the same targets as us doesn't really suggest mega ambition does it?
Every team in League One will have a similar list, so I disagree with your suggested point.

If there is a quality striker available, he will be on our list. Ipswich might sign him so we go to the next on the list who might sign for Barnsley so we go to the next who might sign for Bolton and so on.

Eventually we get the player highest on out list who is not wanted by clubs who can make better offers.

That is why it is so important to find a hidden gem who is low down or not on other teams’ lists but who is quality or had potential to be so.
Robin
It's clearly not that simple RCS. Our lists will comprise of players we believe to be realistic and within our wage budget (some might be just outside of course), if you really believe we will be shopping in the same market as Ipswich (who have a wage budget four or five times ours) then there is no helping you. Of course it doesn't mean there isn't the odd player we may both have an interest in (for example a non-league starlet) but generally we are competing with other bottom half league one teams and bigger spending league two teams as we cannot get anywhere near the big boys for wages.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 12:49 It's clearly not that simple RCS. Our lists will comprise of players we believe to be realistic and within our wage budget (some might be just outside of course), if you really believe we will be shopping in the same market as Ipswich (who have a wage budget four or five times ours) then there is no helping you. Of course it doesn't mean there isn't the odd player we may both have an interest in (for example a non-league starlet) but generally we are competing with other bottom half league one teams and bigger spending league two teams as we cannot get anywhere near the big boys for wages.
Sounds a bit “little old Cheltenham” to me, Robin. Of course we will want the best we can get. Say there is an upcoming striker in League Two or the National League or one released from the Championship….you really think we will go “don’t bother even asking to speak with him because a bigger club will want him?”. Of course we won’t. We will call his agent, who may well say after 30 seconds that Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth are both negotiating with him so we say thanks, hang up and go to the next. But to suggest we won’t even bother enquiring is nonsense in my view.

Of course I don’t think we are shopping in the same market as Ipswich etc, but we don’t know what players they want until we enquire ourselves. It’s a one minute phone call, a small price to pay to avoid missing out on a player we could have signed.

Imagine if Morecambe sign someone who goes on and scores 20 goals and we find out we never bothered enquiring because we assumed a bigger club would sign him.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 13:00
Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 12:49 It's clearly not that simple RCS. Our lists will comprise of players we believe to be realistic and within our wage budget (some might be just outside of course), if you really believe we will be shopping in the same market as Ipswich (who have a wage budget four or five times ours) then there is no helping you. Of course it doesn't mean there isn't the odd player we may both have an interest in (for example a non-league starlet) but generally we are competing with other bottom half league one teams and bigger spending league two teams as we cannot get anywhere near the big boys for wages.
Sounds a bit “little old Cheltenham” to me, Robin. Of course we will want the best we can get. Say there is an upcoming striker in League Two or the National League or one released from the Championship….you really think we will go “don’t bother even asking to speak with him because a bigger club will want him?”. Of course we won’t. We will call his agent, who may well say after 30 seconds that Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth are both negotiating with him so we say thanks, hang up and go to the next. But to suggest we won’t even bother enquiring is nonsense in my view.

Of course I don’t think we are shopping in the same market as Ipswich etc, but we don’t know what players they want until we enquire ourselves. It’s a one minute phone call, a small price to pay to avoid missing out on a player we could have signed.

Imagine if Morecambe sign someone who goes on and scores 20 goals and we find out we never bothered enquiring because we assumed a bigger club would sign him.
Yes I see your point RCS but I am imagining our 'Target List' is a little more honed than just a list of any player that is available. I would like to think that those one minute phone calls to gauge interest etc. happen before they get to the list to save wasting time pursuing options that just won't be available to us. Therefore, if our list is still the same as Barnsley's after that has happened then they aren't really that big a step up from us at this point in time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 15:00
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 13:00

Yes I see your point RCS but I am imagining our 'Target List' is a little more honed than just a list of any player that is available. I would like to think that those one minute phone calls to gauge interest etc. happen before they get to the list to save wasting time pursuing options that just won't be available to us. Therefore, if our list is still the same as Barnsley's after that has happened then they aren't really that big a step up from us at this point in time.
I look forward to the rumoured signings on here and the insight on which other clubs might be interested in them!
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 08:40 So he refuses to rule out making moves for players at Cheltenham and also confirms Barnsley targets are also on our list of summer targets. A lovely double whammy.

If we sell anyone to Barnsley then we need to be pushing the price right up here.
Just as well we have RCS assurance that part of the deal struck, included MD not going for anyone on our list. Was worried for a second there
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 16:12
Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 08:40 So he refuses to rule out making moves for players at Cheltenham and also confirms Barnsley targets are also on our list of summer targets. A lovely double whammy.

Just as well we have RCS assurance that part of the deal struck, included MD not going for anyone on our list. Was worried for a second there
Would have made sense and surprised it’s not - a failing by our board. But I will add I never “assured” it would be - I have no involvement or knowledge of what goes on at the club.
Ralph
what length contract did Alfie sign, 3 years? You know Duffos going to come for him. Bad enough he had to go to another L1 team, but he needs to leave Alfie alone
Fuller
Alfie signed for 2.5 years in January for what it’s worth.
Barnsley need to ship players out and bring in more economical replacements.
Alfie will probably fit the bill.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 20:12 Alfie signed for 2.5 years in January for what it’s worth.
If they can cough up the £2-3 million
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 23:22
Fuller wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 20:12 Alfie signed for 2.5 years in January for what it’s worth.
More like £250-300k
Anteros
I wish him all the best and will look out for their results but I would love it if we beat them home and away!
Robin
Fuller wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 01:01
More like £250-300k
Thankfully the fee would be a fair amount better than that pittance but still a lot lower than most will expect. I doubt we will be able to reinvest it if he does go and it will disappear into wages and panic signings towards the end of the window.
Fuller
Robin wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:48

More like £250-300k
Thankfully the fee would be a fair amount better than that pittance but still a lot lower than most will expect. I doubt we will be able to reinvest it if he does go and it will disappear into wages and panic signings towards the end of the window.
Rather like summer 2008 under Downing when we got £400k for Gillespie and then got in a right pickle as there were negligible signings until the last day of the window and Allen then wanted to get shot of a number of them.
No guarantee we’d get a larger sum for May unless there is a bidding war between a few clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:58
Robin wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:48

More like £250-300k
Rather like summer 2008 under Downing when we got £400k for Gillespie and then got in a right pickle as there were negligible signings until the last day of the window and Allen then wanted to get shot of a number of them.
No guarantee we’d get a larger sum for May unless there is a bidding war between a few clubs.
If a bigger offer doesn’t come in we don’t sell.
CS85
One worry with may is that we convinced him to sign a new deal when others were clearly interested. I've wondered since then maybe we put a release fee in,duff will more than likely know that release fee......
kiaora84
CS85 wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 15:40 One worry with may is that we convinced him to sign a new deal when others were clearly interested. I've wondered since then maybe we put a release fee in,duff will more than likely know that release fee......
Player, Agent, interested Clubs will all know of any release clause. It’s not confidential.
everyman

I would imagine players at the top of our list would be more likely to sign for Michael and would have been ambitious for our club antway.
paperboy
https://twitter.com/dougokane88/status/ ... D1XnA&s=19

Oooh the intrigue.
Ireland is overseas I guess.😀
ctfc-fan
It’s Paul Buckle coming back from the US of A
paperboy
Robin
Clearly trying to haggle the fee down, however he's on a two year deal and there are other clubs interested.
Ihearye
Is MD going to screw us over again ? - yes
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Remember when we were supposed to be signing him.
paperboy
Good bit of sleuthing here.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyTykebfc/sta ... Aq5Ww&s=19

Good player, but comes with plenty of baggage.
Horteng
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cgdhls

Nice little 1 hour interview with Michael. What a man......
paperboy
Duff mentions speaking to Callum Wright, but along with 20 other clubs one would think. Would expect the Championship beckons for him after not being in the Leicester Carabou Cup squad this week.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... e-signings
Robin
I've heard through the rumour vine that Wright is likely going to Barnsley, such a shame we couldn't get him back here.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 11:32 I've heard through the rumour vine that Wright is likely going to Barnsley, such a shame we couldn't get him back here.
I also don't know what he would learn with another season in League 1 other than maybe he is never going to cut it at the top level (with Leicester anyway). Surely if he is going out on loan to learn again it has to be Championship?
Ihearye
Any chance we could not stop the obsession with Duff and Wright?
Not time to move on?