Owen Evans

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Set for League Two move: https://bit.ly/EvansWanted
little mo
So two new keepers needed.
Shade
At this point, without panicking at all, it would be nice to have one person come IN to the club... At any level. The announcement of Brenda the new tea lady would be welcome tbh.
Nesty
Shade wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 13:38 At this point, without panicking at all, it would be nice to have one person come IN to the club... At any level. The announcement of Brenda the new tea lady would be welcome tbh.
LOL!!! indeed -
little mo
Shade wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 13:38 At this point, without panicking at all, it would be nice to have one person come IN to the club... At any level. The announcement of Brenda the new tea lady would be welcome tbh.
Agreed. I think maybe only Derby less prepared than us for the new season in our division. Last one out turn the lights off please.
Ihearye
Given the previous selections on the catering front. Even that scares me
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 14:44
Given the previous selections on the catering front. Even that scares me
Well I guess Dan Watson could fill in getting the tea for now.... he's got no goalies to train anyway!
horlickfanclub
Pete Mathews and Paul Godfrey claim to be keepers on commentary. Worth trials ?
CTFC.Harry
Only need one keeper. Let what’s his name be understudy. Apparently he had a good season at Weston according to my sources.
Horteng
Cant see why Owen went from hero to zero?
Horteng
horlickfanclub wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:17 Pete Mathews and Paul Godfrey claim to be keepers on commentary. Worth trials ?

And Paul Furley from BBC. We really are blessed in the GK position
Robin
CTFC.Harry wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:26 Only need one keeper. Let what’s his name be understudy. Apparently he had a good season at Weston according to my sources.
Max Harries will be going out on loan again to gain experience. I can imagine we'll sign a player from released by a Champ team/big league one to sit on the bench and then bring in a decent loanee to be number one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 15:57 Cant see why Owen went from hero to zero?
He became a boo-boy target, which for a young keeper is untenable.

We will never know if he was listed by the club or asked to leave due to receiving personal abuse for following Duff’s instructions to pass it out to slow immobile defenders who can’t control the football.

A shame and a tad unfair that Owen goes to L2, whilst Boyle who was equally culpable for the defensive unit errors, goes to the Championship.

Just hope the next keeper is better, otherwise the boo-boys will have just made things worse, which normal fans will rightly find frustrating.
slinky_dog
I think Owen Evan’s being released showed strong management. I think he could have done better on too many occasions. I recognise the failings in our defence also who are equally to blame. He is still young for a keeper. There is no reason he doesn’t have a good career ahead of him.

I don’t understand releasing Flinders who I felt had another decent season in him.

Having vacancies in this position should be seen as an opportunity. I wonder if the club already had a premier league loan keeper lined up as they moved very quickly to out both our existing keepers.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 16:17

We will never know if he was listed by the club or asked to leave due to receiving personal abuse for following Duff’s instructions to pass it out to slow immobile defenders who can’t control the football.

A shame and a tad unfair that Owen goes to L2, whilst Boyle who was equally culpable for the defensive unit errors, goes to the Championship.

Just hope the next keeper is better, otherwise the boo-boys will have just made things worse, which normal fans will rightly find frustrating.
I never got the impression that the booing was targeted at Owen specifically but rather the continuous playing around at the back creating ourselves problems? I may be wrong but that was my feeling anyway.

As we stand today it seems a strange decision to let both first team keepers leave as both were solid in my opinion but I assume there is a master plan in place to improve the goalkeeping options so will wait until we see who that is before making a final judgement.
Fuller
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 07:47
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 16:17

I never got the impression that the booing was targeted at Owen specifically but rather the continuous playing around at the back creating ourselves problems? I may be wrong but that was my feeling anyway.

As we stand today it seems a strange decision to let both first team keepers leave as both were solid in my opinion but I assume there is a master plan in place to improve the goalkeeping options so will wait until we see who that is before making a final judgement.
I never heard anyone booing Evans, unless it was a few behind the goal, although you could hear and feel most of the home support getting somewhat frustrated at the lack of clear decision making and basic skills when trying to play out from the back. Evans just didn’t have the stature to inspire too much overall confidence at the back in my view.
Wonder how much our goalkeeping coach had on the decision to put Evans on the list? And not forgetting that Flinders, who I thought was the better keeper, was offered a new deal but presumably on reduced terms?
longmover
He's not a league one standard goal keeper, end of.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 08:39 He's not a league one standard goal keeper, end of.
In your view. In my view he is. And in Duff’s view he was more so than Flinders.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 10:59
longmover wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 08:39 He's not a league one standard goal keeper, end of.
In your view. In my view he is. And in Duff’s view he was more so than Flinders.
And Flinders has subsequently moved to L2

We've had some really good goalkeepers over the years including young loans and I'm sure we can pick up another one
little mo
Just a thought but,Cardiff have signed two new keepers. What is happening with Dillon Philips? Doubt we could afford his wages now,but a loan maybe.
longmover
Then Duff transferred listed him so....... :roll:
Jon Palmer
Robin
Got to be a loanee back between the sticks and a youngster released from hire up as cover.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 12:04
Then Duff transferred listed him so....... :roll:
See earlier post - we don’t know if Duff transfer listed him for not being good enough. Duff may have felt the abuse from behind the goal made his position untenable, or Owen himself may have requested to be transfer listed due to the boo-boys.
Fuller
I thought Evans played nearly all the games in the league last season? Says only 27 in total in 2021/22 here -https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/june/owen-evans/
Interesting he wanted guaranteed first team football, shows we must have told him he might well end up as back up keeper, so we may well have had someone else in mind?
Robin
I heard the name of two players a few weeks ago that we were supposedly in for and one was a goalkeeper who almost certainly would have been first choice (on loan) the other was a midfielder.
Shade
Fuller wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 14:30 I thought Evans played nearly all the games in the league last season? Says only 27 in total in 2021/22 here -https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/june/owen-evans/
Interesting he wanted guaranteed first team football, shows we must have told him he might well end up as back up keeper, so we may well have had someone else in mind?

Flinders got the nod early in the season after a dodgy start from Evans. Evans only got back in the team after the 5-0 home shambles v Cambridge, nearly half way through the season.
little mo
Fuller wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 14:30 I thought Evans played nearly all the games in the league last season? Says only 27 in total in 2021/22 here -https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/june/owen-evans/
If he wanted guaranteed first team football he will need to do well. Walsall just signed another keeper as well.