New head coach

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
CTFCfan99
Happy with that!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well done Wade. Deserves the opportunity after being such an important part of our success.

Our young players who have had our tactics and systems drilled into them will be able to improve on that and develop more.
Si Robin
I'm not sure what I expected, but I'm slightly underwhelmed. I guess I was hoping there was a more standout candidate.

With that being said, I welcome the continuity and hope he can follow on the work of his predecessor. As has been pointed out, the players already know him and will be aware of his philosophies. It does make sense in a lot of ways.
Fuller
Best of luck Wade.
Just hope it works out better for you than it did for the two previous assistants who got promoted to the top job at Whaddon Road, Allner and Downing, both lasted less than a year.
Last edited by Fuller on 25 Jun 2022, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Warwickshire Robin
Pleased with that. We get the young coach from an Academy background with the added bonus he has been here a while already so knows the club and current squad.

Hope it all works out and we see the improvements of the last 4 years continued.

Good luck Wade!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Ben version 4:0
Good luck Wade.

Teach them to shoot like this! https://youtu.be/WWokwQzsAFw
Fuller
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 08:42 Pleased with that. We get the young coach from an Academy background with the added bonus he has been here a while already so knows the club and current squad.
Or what is left of the squad. Major recruitment in the next few weeks is key to any chance of avoiding relegation this coming season.
Nesty
Good luck Wade
Nesty
",,,,,,,,,,,,,,following extensive deliberations in the boardroom on Friday, Elliott has been chosen as Duff's successor.

He led pre-season training last week along with caretaker boss Russell Milton and Under-18s coach Pete Haynes and the players will be taking part in a 45-minute 11 v 11 training ground match on Saturday morning.

Their first pre-season friendly is at Southern League Evesham United next Saturday and the new season starts on Saturday, June 30.

Milton is set to stay on as Elliott's assistant, with an additional coach to be brought in..............."
Warwickshire Robin
Fuller wrote:
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 08:42 Pleased with that. We get the young coach from an Academy background with the added bonus he has been here a while already so knows the club and current squad.
Or what is left of the squad. Major recruitment in the next few weeks is key to any chance of avoiding relegation this coming season.
Very true! But he already knows the gaps needed to fill that a new man won't so has a head start there

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Fuller
Nesty wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 08:53
He led pre-season training last week along with caretaker boss Russell Milton and Under-18s coach Pete Haynes and the players will be taking part in a 45-minute 11 v 11 training ground match on Saturday morning.
Can someone do us a favour and get down to Seasons PDQ and see who is on display please?
Must be a few trialists etc having a game?
Robin
It's probably the predictable outcome but I'm also fairly happy with this, it always felt like when Wade joined the coaching staff it was with a view to one day taking the mgr role. As others have said internal appointments haven't worked too well for us in the recent past but there are exceptions such as Paul Warne at Rotherham where it can really exceed expectations.

At the start of this I said I would be happy with Wade so long as he got it on merit and judging from the outside that's exactly what he's done so no onwards and upwards and let's get another mid-table finish.
paperboy
Now see if we can get Keith Downing in as well!

Wonder who'll stay in their roles the longest, Duffo or Wadey?
Ihearye
Well there is a shock.

Good luck, look forward to seeing how we start the season, As has been said, a few more names added to the rorkes drift roll call is essential

if only all 6/1 fav at cheltenham were as sure as this :)
HamTown
Makes sense.
London Exile
Happy with this appointment.
Usually when we part company with a manager it’s because we are struggling so for a new boss to come in and rip everything up to start again is no bad thing.
As we’ve been doing well hopefully Wade will continue where Duff left.
CTFC.Harry
Sound appointment. Good links to local clubs and will have more mates than Duff did to call in favours from having played for more teams. Speaks well and allows continuity and stability. Good luck to him.
Horteng
Always thought it would be Wade right from the start. A little underwhelmed but then with the likes of a Chris Beech and David Artell also being linked then I would take Wade over them
Nesty
Fuller wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 08:59
Nesty wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 08:53
Can someone do us a favour and get down to Seasons PDQ and see who is on display please?
Must be a few trialists etc having a game?
Nesty wrote ? no I didnt !!
little mo
Love it. Right decision for me. Good luck Wade.
Alf
Good choice and good luck Wade. Let’s hope we can continue the successful formula of the past few years.
longtimeclaret
Good luck to Wade
A top pro and by all accounts a top fella
Loved him at the Turf
Anteros
Sat near Wade last season when he watched the games in the main stand. He was constantly talking and giving his opinions to the bench via head set. Numerous times throughout the season I saw duff turn to him and gesture 'what do you think!?'
Think hes as good as any appointment we could have chosen.
Good luck Wade
Shade
Yep, also happy with this. Better the devil you know. At least we can be fairly damn sure we arent getting another Allen or Buckle. Add to that once again the club have shown to outsiders that, if they come to CTFC, they can go on to better things. The next incoming coach will see that they have a potential path to becoming a football league manager if they perform well, and I would have thought that means we have a good chance of recruiting another top young coach.
slinky_dog
I’m similarly pleased with this appointment. The senior management unit at the club has clearly been working well together for a few years. Whilst we’ve lost a key person, but I wasn’t supportive of seeing that unit taken apart any further.

I do hope the supporters get behind Wade and don’t allow panic to creep in too early. Duff left as he thought he had taken Cheltenham as far as he could. On that basis, Wade has got far less chance of delivering ‘success’ than Duff given the league position he has taken on.

Will be interesting as to what length of contract the club give him.
HamTown
slinky_dog wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 09:35 I do hope the supporters get behind Wade and don’t allow panic to creep in too early. Duff left as he thought he had taken Cheltenham as far as he could. On that basis, Wade has got far less chance of delivering ‘success’ than Duff given the league
This is very true. The target has to be to keep us in the league, anything more is a bonus

I hope supporters recognise the amount of important people that have left on and off the field this summer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree. Staying up is a success. Being in the fight and not adrift is minimum expectations.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 11:32 Agree. Staying up is a success. Being in the fight and not adrift is minimum expectations.
Yes agree.
Second season syndrome isn't uncommon.
Plus we have lost Boyle,Pollock and Callum the wonder kid as well as good performers like Thomas and Etete.
Our permanent and loan signings have been really good recently ,but loans especially are a gamble.
Hopefully our luck continues to hold or Lloyd or Horton have breakthrough seasons.
We could have Pep as manager but would he have got us into the top half or the play offs last season?
I'd bet against it.
The fans will give Wade a lot more slack than if we'd chosen anyone else which is good.

Here endeth this Sundays sermon.
Robin
paperboy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 12:02
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 11:32 Agree. Staying up is a success. Being in the fight and not adrift is minimum expectations.
Yes agree.
Plus we have lost Boyle,Pollock and Callum the wonder kid as well as good performers like Thomas and Etete.
Our permanent and loan signings have been really good recently ,but loans especially are a gamble.
Hopefully our luck continues to hold or Lloyd or Horton have breakthrough seasons.
We could have Pep as manager but would he have got us into the top half or the play offs last season?
I'd bet against it.
The fans will give Wade a lot more slack than if we'd chosen anyone else which is good.

I hate this taken us as far as we can go talk when you consider Accrington who operate on a budget similar to our own have finished in the top half for two successive seasons whilst operating at a profit on crowds about 1400 lower than ours and selling a player every window. That's what we need to aspire to be over the coming years whilst we wait for the new stand to be built.

As for this season, our objective should be to avoid the relegation scrap, then once we hit fifty points it should be to see if we can finish above 15th. It will be tough but I feel we have a reasonably good chance of achieving that aim.
Shade
Robin wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 14:45
Yes agree.
I'd bet against it.

I hate this taken us as far as we can go talk when you consider Accrington who operate on a budget similar to our own have finished in the top half for two successive seasons whilst operating at a profit on crowds about 1400 lower than ours and selling a player every window. That's what we need to aspire to be over the coming years whilst we wait for the new stand to be built.

As for this season, our objective should be to avoid the relegation scrap, then once we hit fifty points it should be to see if we can finish above 15th. It will be tough but I feel we have a reasonably good chance of achieving that aim.
As far as we can go until the main stand is sorted and extra revenue streams are found. Accrington get a lot of extra income than just their crowds. Or so I'm told. They're also in a decent location for mopping up players released from all the bigger Lancashire clubs.
longmover
Robin wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 14:45
Yes agree.
I'd bet against it.

Accrington have a benefactor that writes some nice cheques also they have other income streams outside of football.
longmover
Could they not just have appointed Wade? Or is there an expectation that the job is open to other candidates?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 08:38 Could they not just have appointed Wade? Or is there an expectation that the job is open to other candidates?
JP said the final interview was between two candidates and there is nothing to suggest both interviews were not undertaken in good faith.