Parklands turnstiles?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Leckyfan
I heard the turnstiles into the Colin Farmer Stand will not be used this season, due to Parklands demanding a higher payment from the club to allow access.

Does anyone know if this is true? I’ve just paid Parklands a decent sum for a parking season ticket, so will be pretty miffed if they are to blame for refusing permission. Feels like selling parking season tickets under false pretences, if I end up having walk back down Wymans Road to get into the ground.

More likely, just more brinksmanship, to see who blinks first, I suspect. Pity, thought this all got resolved last season. Parking charges at Parklands are going up anyway, so would have hoped they would see that as the primary revenue stream, not trying to screw a few more quid out of CTFC.
horlickfanclub
Season over for me if that is true.
Ihearye
For the match on Saturday just past. The CF was in operation from the smaller set of turnstiles up near Whaddon Road. it was signed season tickets and pre bought tickets. Not sure how this would work when that part of the CF is given over to away fans
Robin
I've also heard a similar rumour, if it's true can we just purchase the land Parklands are on and make them our tenants?
Malabus
Robin wrote:I've also heard a similar rumour, if it's true can we just purchase the land Parklands are on and make them our tenants?
Pretty sure the two parties must agree. One being the seller that wishes to sell and the buyer that wishes to buy. Without that duality nothing can get started.
Robin
I thought the land was owned by the council Mal? Could be beneficial for us if we want to redo the home terrace in the next couple of years and could finally put these issues we have with Parklands to bed.
Si Robin
Yeah - f#!$ the community, let's get the land!!! :roll:
Leckyfan
FWIW, the (increased) charge to use the Parklands car park this season is £8 per car (higher fee for minibuses etc). During the close-season, Parklands have been selling ‘car park season tickets’ at £145 (gives the right to park at all first-team home league matches, cup ties and friendlies).

Since the goal posts (or, more accurately, entrances to the Colin Farmer Stand) appear to have moved, I have now written to Parklands as below. Might be useful if any other car park season ticket holders did similar…

BEGINS

I was not able to attend the last ‘friendly’ match on Saturday (23rd July), so have not yet had an opportunity to use my new Parklands Car Park ‘season ticket’.

I was, however, concerned to hear that the football club turnstiles in to the Colin Farmer stands (accessed via Parklands property) were shut, reportedly due to a further dispute between Parklands and the football club over payment for access rights.

I am aware from local media reporting that this has been a matter of dispute in recent years, but understood (at the time I ordered my Car Park season ticket from you in June) that the matter had been finally resolved last season.

I applied to purchase a Car Park season ticket on that basis. Although I am not a disabled badge holder, I do suffer from intermittent limited mobility, and easy of access to the football ground was a major factor in my decision to commit to purchasing a Car Park season ticket. If that is no longer possible, and Parklands has sought to vary previously-agreed arrangements with football club regarding access rights, I will need to reconsider if the Car Park season ticket is now appropriate for my needs, and whether there was any misrepresentation (even if only by omission) when these were offered for sale during the close-season.

I hope you will be able to reassure me that these concerns are unfounded, and that normal access arrangements will be reinstated for the upcoming matches.

ENDS
andgarod
As well as contacting Parklands we need to be asking the club to clarify and help resolve things
The trust and SLO should also be on the case trying to resolve.
At the moment its rumour or heresay always at least 2 sides to everything
I walk to the ground so does not impact me but obviously there is an issue needing resolved
Si Robin
The SLO is looking into it having been asked about it yesterday
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:52 Yeah - f#!$ the community, let's get the land!!! :roll:
Ideally we can own the land and let Parklands lease the space from us. It's essentially a social club for Whaddon, the club serves a much bigger community and is suffering because of greed on the part of the people running the social club.
Si Robin
It is a community centre (hence the name, Parklands Community Centre) for the community of Whaddon.

I don't agree with them increasing parking prices, or this constant back and forth with the club, but they are there and are neighbours of the club. The club has no right to just buy the land and lease a bit of it back.
CS85
Well it needs sorting before Aug 13th,pompey have been allocated tickets in the colin farmer and would have to use the turnstiles for that stand,which means ctfc fans have no entry......
Ofcourse pompey could all enter the away end and walk round but then the under stand facilities in the Colin farmer would blocked off for the home fans to use,not sure health and safety would agree to that.

If no agreement can be made then we'd no longer be able to give away fans 1,400 tickets when needed,could be a hell of alotnof revenue lost considering we will have around 10 away sell outs this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just offer Parklands a bit more and I am sure they will meet in the middle. They have provided better parking and pre-match drinks than CTFC have done over the years so let’s not be churlish.

I am sure the plans for ground improvements behind the goal and around the corner to the Colin Farmer will necessitate some changes to the land ownership and configuration anyway, so let’s just find a sensible compromise for now.

Ideally, a new two-storey shared facility would provide a new and better home for Parklands with units facing the car-park and contain units/space which open on the football club side of to provide enhanced facilities on match day.

The Club cannot be expected to foot the whole bill for a new shared facility like that so the Council/Parklands will need to invest as well.

It would have made a good Community Renewal Fund bid for the Council. Maybe they can look to the Shared Prosperity Fund instead.
andgarod
rcs I take it you have never dealt with the council
Will never happen because they are involved and the club has no clout
didn't happen when baker was on the council
money is spent on seasons
either sorted amicably or put pressure on parkland
ie boycott them
whatever happened to the park and ride
Si Robin
Given it's mostly full of away fans before a game, I suspect a boycott won't be all too successful
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 17:00 Given it's mostly full of away fans before a game, I suspect a boycott won't be all too successful
It’s also unnecessary.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Just offer Parklands a bit more and I am sure they will meet in the middle.
How far do you go with them? Give them more and they’ll think they can keep DPM holding the club to ransom.
Si Robin
That's why you get a contract drawn up - so much money per year over so many years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 17:19
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 17:00 Given it's mostly full of away fans before a game, I suspect a boycott won't be all too successful
It’s also unnecessary.
I agree, and I wouldn't boycott either. I like my drink in there before and after the game and much prefer it to the Nest.
Shade
Nothing that I've seen officially from the club regarding potential access problems tomorrow ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 12:53 Nothing that I've seen officially from the club regarding potential access problems tomorrow ?
Maybe the OP was wrong?
Dave Beesley
I have sought an answer to this from my colleagues on the club board, I can tell you that an agreement has been reached, and the club has held up it's end of that agreement, in good faith. To the best of our knowledge, the gates will be open tomorrow.
shevates
Today walking around the ground, theres been a massive clearance of trees, grass, and shrubbery in the corner of the home end. Not really knowing who actually owns that land, i presume it belongs to Parklands, and is going to be an extension for car parking ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 15:17 Today walking around the ground, theres been a massive clearance of trees, grass, and shrubbery in the corner of the home end. Not really knowing who actually owns that land, i presume it belongs to Parklands, and is going to be an extension for car parking ?
Love to see the planning application for that if so.

Some of that land used to belong to the council. Had relatives who lived on Cromwell Rd for decades and their back fence backed on to that patch of land and the Council would sporadically come and chop down nettles etc before they encroached in to people’s gardens too much.

I can’t remember if the Council but was just a strip of land or the full area.
Shade
Dave Beesley wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 13:55 I have sought an answer to this from my colleagues on the club board, I can tell you that an agreement has been reached, and the club has held up it's end of that agreement, in good faith. To the best of our knowledge, the gates will be open tomorrow.
Thanks Dave
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 13:25
Shade wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 12:53 Nothing that I've seen officially from the club regarding potential access problems tomorrow ?
Maybe the OP was wrong?
I’ve had a reply from Parklands. They were aware of the ‘gossip’ already, and made several points:
- decision not to open gates last Saturday was made by the club, not Parklands, because access was considered ‘not necessary’ for the friendlies;
- there is a (according to Parklands) a widespread misunderstanding that Parklands has physical control over the opening/closing of the CF Stand gates - they do not;
- Parklands forwarded my email to Paul Godfrey to respond to my question about access tomorrow (first league game);
- Parklands do not provide car parking on any understanding that the CF gates will be open. As such, there was no misrepresentation on their part (refer to T&C re parking);
- But if I no longer required a Parking Season Ticket, I should let them know before Saturday’s match, and they would let me have a full refund.

All in all, this seemed a reasonable response from Parklands. And based on Dave’s latest post, hopefully a case of “all’s well that ends well”.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 17:54
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 13:25
Maybe the OP was wrong?
I’ve had a reply from Parklands. They were aware of the ‘gossip’ already, and made several points:
- decision not to open gates last Saturday was made by the club, not Parklands, because access was considered ‘not necessary’ for the friendlies;
- there is a (according to Parklands) a widespread misunderstanding that Parklands has physical control over the opening/closing of the CF Stand gates - they do not;
- Parklands forwarded my email to Paul Godfrey to respond to my question about access tomorrow (first league game);
- Parklands do not provide car parking on any understanding that the CF gates will be open. As such, there was no misrepresentation on their part (refer to T&C re parking);
- But if I no longer required a Parking Season Ticket, I should let them know before Saturday’s match, and they would let me have a full refund.

All in all, this seemed a reasonable response from Parklands. And based on Dave’s latest post, hopefully a case of “all’s well that ends well”.
Decent response. Hopefully puts an end to the weird anti-Parklands nonsense by some on here.