Cheltenham Town v Peterborough United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/3vs1SqW
Broadway Brian
As expected I guess but gulp, that’s a weak bench.
Nesty
we haven't seen all of them play yet !! and according to a recent comment by WE we are still after 1-2 players and as we do seem to be top heavy with defenders. I hope one is a midfielder and the other a strike.
HamTown
If everyone's available where's Brown?
little mo
Where is Bradbury?
Nesty
HamTown wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 13:36 If everyone's available where's Brown?
Is he ever going to be fit?
art vandalay
Bradbury?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks a good team.

Can’t comment on most of the bench as they are new, but Chapman and Lloyd had plenty of first team football last season.
HamTown
Get in!

Nlundulus a monster, going to be a big player the first half of the season
ctfc-fan
Perfect first half.

Duffo Duffo what’s the score?!
Shade
They can't cope with Nlundulu at all. I don't think many will if he plays like that most games. We really could, maybe should, be 4 or 5 up.

Freestone has looked solid so far. Bonds looks like he has stepped up again and Sercombe and Perry looking sharp.

Well worth the 9 hour early morning drive to get here so far, even despite the fairly inept ref.
Last edited by Shade on 30 Jul 2022, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
ctfc-fan wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 14:50 Perfect first half.

Duffo Duffo what’s the score?! Image
Maybe wait until we see how we are doing against Barnsley before bringing out the Duff chants? :Lol:
Ralph
Great start. Got to keep it up and the pressure on. Wade certainly has made the step up now as head coach. Keeper needs to make the decision, come out or stay back
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dammit. The golden rule when 2-0 at half time? Don’t concede before 60 mins or you won’t win the game.

2-1 on 59 minutes. We will be hanging on for the draw now. Shame.
Horteng
Where’s the commentary gone ffs
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 15:21 Dammit. The golden rule when 2-0 at half time? Don’t concede before 60 mins or you won’t win the game.

2-1 on 59 minutes. We will be hanging on for the draw now. Shame.
Bump. 13 mins later…..
Alf
Unfortunately even a draw seems to be beyond us now. So disappointing after the first half performance. We really need to learn from this, did we really expect Peterborough to be as bad in the second half? This is Div 1, not the National League!
Last edited by Alf on 30 Jul 2022, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
HamTown
Maybe I'm a sore loser after the first half but I feel pretty bitter about this 5 sub rule benefitting bigger clubs
Alf
Good point Ham.
Broadway Brian
Alf wrote:Good point Ham.
Couldn’t agree more. Maybe we can run a competition to be our 5th sub
asl
Well that makes a change from blaming the referee for us losing!

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

art vandalay
High intensity first half, thoroughly deserved to be ahead, but it looked like we‘d run out of steam at half-time.
CTFCfan99
asl wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 16:19 Well that makes a change from blaming the referee for us losing!

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Although worth noting that the referee was as useless as usual. Completely swayed by the fans' reactions for every decision!
PittvillePundit
The May chance on the stroke of HT was crucial. Not sure Boro would have come back from 3 0.

Really good first half, equally poor 2nd. Beaten to nearly every second ball and energy levels flagged.

Same as last season - score plenty but concede more?
Alf
I got the impression that early on in the second half we looked to be indulging in little bits of time wasting. Almost although we thought that two goals were enough to hang onto and see us through. We were poor defensively to the point where they were just running through us. As has been stated, with a bit more care we could/should have been four or five up at half time. If we had been we might just about have got away with the sloppy second half performance.
Shade
Fair to say Ol' Grant made his changes at half time and they made a big difference. Wade waited too long for the inevitable to happen the way it was going, probably should have tried to counter the changes at 2-1 but waited until 2-3 down for some reason. A learning curve.

The 5 subs rule is bullshit.

I love Raglan but his distribution is abysmal.
CTFCfan99
Plenty of positives at least. Nlundulu is class, Ebanks looked good, Sercombe and Perry played well. Same as last year though, we get exposed too easily in defence.
Robin
Not too sure what to make of that, some good stuff and some bad stuff. I said on here before that I had doubts on our defence and they were predictably exposed today, often at our own making. Sorry to single players out but Raglan was at fault for their second and his distribution just isn't good enough for this level, would consider listing him Can say similar for Freestone but he was not as bad today. We need a decent centre half to come in before end of August otherwise this could be a slog this season.

On the positive side we created loads of chances against a side heavilly fancied to finish top two, Perry and May were wasteful but overall had good games. N'lundulu had a great game, Sercombe was quality in midfield - not sure why we took him off though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 17:20 Not too sure what to make of that, some good stuff and some bad stuff. I said on here before that I had doubts on our defence and they were predictably exposed today, often at our own making. Sorry to single players out but Raglan was at fault for their second and his distribution just isn't good enough for this level, would consider listing him Can say similar for Freestone but he was not as bad today. We need a decent centre half to come in before end of August otherwise this could be a slog this season.

On the positive side we created loads of chances against a side heavilly fancied to finish top two, Perry and May were wasteful but overall had good games. N'lundulu had a great game, Sercombe was quality in midfield - not sure why we took him off though.
Peterborough will be automatic promotion. We should take heart from the first half.

Remember that Clarke-Harris scored twelve in the Championship last season. Smozdics played 39 games in the Championship last season and scored 7 from midfield.

Before the game a draw would have been a bonus point. It won’t be matches against promotion sides which cost us. Let’s make sure we finish the job against bottom half clubs.
Warwickshire Robin
Superb first half, one of the best I have seen. We looked sharp and even looked good playing out from the back because we did it quickly and with purpose. Fully deserved to be at least 2 up.

However, very different story second half. Thought Posh couldnt be as bad as they were in the first and the changes they made improved them immensely, but we were far too passive, trying to waste time rather than keep up with the high intensity of the first half. Then, as is the issue with this formation we ended up basically playing 8-0-2 with a huge gap between our midfield and forwards.

Still, promising signs based on first half and i dont think Posh will be too far away from the top of the league come next May. Roll on next week.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Broadway Brian
Robin wrote:Not too sure what to make of that, some good stuff and some bad stuff. I said on here before that I had doubts on our defence and they were predictably exposed today, often at our own making. Sorry to single players out but Raglan was at fault for their second and his distribution just isn't good enough for this level, would consider listing him Can say similar for Freestone but he was not as bad today. We need a decent centre half to come in before end of August otherwise this could be a slog this season.

So good first half. Haven’t enjoyed a 45 mins like that for a while.

But oppo out 5 mins early after half-time and 3 subs, it was clear what was coming and we unfortunately had no answer.

We lost 2 leaders in Boyle and Pollock and needed some of that today. Taylor’s communication for a young lad was impressive and he gave Clarke-Harris a tough time when he came on.

We clearly need more quality in depth though. The difference in benches told today and the 5 subs nonsense is a big disadvantage for us at the moment against the teams with bigger squads / budgets.
Warwickshire Robin
Broadway Brian wrote:
Robin wrote:Not too sure what to make of that, some good stuff and some bad stuff. I said on here before that I had doubts on our defence and they were predictably exposed today, often at our own making. Sorry to single players out but Raglan was at fault for their second and his distribution just isn't good enough for this level, would consider listing him Can say similar for Freestone but he was not as bad today. We need a decent centre half to come in before end of August otherwise this could be a slog this season.

So good first half. Haven’t enjoyed a 45 mins like that for a while.

But oppo out 5 mins early after half-time and 3 subs, it was clear what was coming and we unfortunately had no answer.

We lost 2 leaders in Boyle and Pollock and needed some of that today. Taylor’s communication for a young lad was impressive and he gave Clarke-Harris a tough time when he came on.

We clearly need more quality in depth though. The difference in benches told today and the 5 subs nonsense is a big disadvantage for us at the moment against the teams with bigger squads / budgets.
Yes was impressed with Taylors brief cameo. Not that he did anything spectacular but he just looked the part. Don't think it will be long before he is starting.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Ralph
Now we need to go to Barnsley and win.
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Was at the game yesterday, got a ticket from my Sister, who works at Mira Showers.
In the first half, I thought you looked in control of the match, getting a 2 - 0 half time lead. Peterborough got a goal back in the second half, then seemed to get stronger. Whaddon Road will be a key factor again this season, make that a fortress, you'll be fine.
Was impressed with the array of drinking/eating facilities around by the Club shop area.
Anteros
Plenty of positives. Really like perry,sercs and bonds in midfield. May scored and is up and running.
Mind blowing at some of the quality in this league, we had a poor 25 mins after half time and conceded 3 goals.