Game day experience

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Johnsons Red Army
I must say, I left the game today very impressed with the changes made in the Colin Farmer Stand since last season.

The bar for a start was a big improvement. Ok, still serving out of bottles instead of on tap, but I thought it was much better. My only gripe, if any, would be that they didn’t start serving until the first half whistle was blown (previous seasons they served before the whistle, but unsure if any law/rule changes prohibit them from doing so now, so might not even be their problem).

I also noticed that the catering had changed. Now, I didn’t actually buy anything, so my opinion is probably worthless on this topic, however, from appearance and smell alone, it certainly looked to be a step up on the previous catering company.

Another major improvement was the ticketing. A massive step in the right direction with season tickets as cards now and individual tickets as QR codes.

Ok, the result wasn’t what we wanted, so perhaps the only negative from the day, but fair play to all involved for making these much needed changes to improve the match day experience.
Broadway Brian
Pies were nice and agreed re smell. Used to hate that smell of dirty oil as you entered the CF.

Good stuff.
Si Robin
Johnsons Red Army wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 20:13 The bar for a start was a big improvement. Ok, still serving out of bottles instead of on tap, but I thought it was much better. My only gripe, if any, would be that they didn’t start serving until the first half whistle was blown (previous seasons they served before the whistle, but unsure if any law/rule changes prohibit them from doing so now, so might not even be their problem).
They tried bringing it in last season, and had it for the Sheffield Weds game and the following one (I think it was Gillingham in the cup, but don't quote me on that). They then turned it back when people complained and the queue basically made that part of the concourse unworkable. It's a bit of a joke really, just start serving 5 mins before half-time and there will barely be a queue. It was much quicker with two girls there to help Katie on the bar by pouring whilst she took the orders.

The bar does look much nicer, though I don't think there's a need for a load of chairs in there. I'm sure most people are happy to stand for 15-20 mins, and it would clear a lot more space.

As for the little Hitler working the queue, we're all adults and there's a clear line for people to walk around, it doesn't need someone looking menacing and taking great joy in having their moment of power.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 20:13 I must say, I left the game today very impressed with the changes made in the Colin Farmer Stand since last season.

The bar for a start was a big improvement. Ok, still serving out of bottles instead of on tap, but I thought it was much better. My only gripe, if any, would be that they didn’t start serving until the first half whistle was blown (previous seasons they served before the whistle, but unsure if any law/rule changes prohibit them from doing so now, so might not even be their problem).

I also noticed that the catering had changed. Now, I didn’t actually buy anything, so my opinion is probably worthless on this topic, however, from appearance and smell alone, it certainly looked to be a step up on the previous catering company.

Another major improvement was the ticketing. A massive step in the right direction with season tickets as cards now and individual tickets as QR codes.

Ok, the result wasn’t what we wanted, so perhaps the only negative from the day, but fair play to all involved for making these much needed changes to improve the match day experience.
Half time serving time might be part of a crowd management policy. As useful as serving before half time is for those drinking, it might be annoying for those having to stand and let people pass out the rows.
Anteros
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 21:44
Johnsons Red Army wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 20:13 I must say, I left the game today very impressed with the changes made in the Colin Farmer Stand since last season.

Half time serving time might be part of a crowd management policy. As useful as serving before half time is for those drinking, it might be annoying for those having to stand and let people pass out the rows.
But isn't the same with all sport/concerts? You have to stand up/move if someone needs to get by?
It doesn't make sense, you still need to leave your seats 5 mins before half time to get into a queue for the bar to open. It's only 15 minutes for half time so if you have to queue for 10 mins then you have to down your pint to get out for second half.
Hope the club can rectify this asap
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anteros wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 07:31
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 21:44

But isn't the same with all sport/concerts? You have to stand up/move if someone needs to get by?
It doesn't make sense, you still need to leave your seats 5 mins before half time to get into a queue for the bar to open. It's only 15 minutes for half time so if you have to queue for 10 mins then you have to down your pint to get out for second half.
Hope the club can rectify this asap
Best would be to only do pre-ordering on an app, which gives you a collection number. A screen in the concourse and the app tell you when your order is ready. Then no one needs to queue.
Si Robin
That would be best, but we're just getting season ticket cards, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

That being said, there is talk of pre-ordering, but I suspect it'll be the old pen and paper way.
Robin
Not opening the bar until the whistle is definitely a problem, why not just open five minutes before or allow pre-ordering as others have said, it would make things so much smoother.
Anteros
Does the same apply to the food outlets? Are they not allowed to serve until half time whistle?
andgarod
pre order allows drinks to be poured in advance
but if there is no pre order then surely the drinks can be poured in advance because you know you are going to sell x pints of a brand
paperboy
A million years ago didn't the half time break last for 10 minutes ?
Wonder if there's any appetite for a 20 minute break.
Mmm. maybe not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 08:32 A million years ago didn't the half time break last for 10 minutes ?
Wonder if there's any appetite for a 20 minute break.
Mmm. maybe not.
Wouldn’t surprise me clubs would prefer that, for commercial reasons. TV companies could fit an extra advert break as well.
Motters
andgarod wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 08:20 pre order allows drinks to be poured in advance
but if there is no pre order then surely the drinks can be poured in advance because you know you are going to sell x pints of a brand

I'm a bit late to the party, but agree with this - I waited over 10 minutes and was still not near the front of the queue, so gave up to get back to my seat for second half. I suspect many others also did the same when they saw the queue.

On a similar vein, programmes in CF were again sold out by 2:30

Little things that hopefully can be easily fixed as we're missing out on revenue that could help the club.