Barnsley v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/BarnsleyA
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Starting:
Southwood; Long, C Taylor, Raglan; Jackson, Bonds, Sercombe, Perry, Freestone; May, Nlundulu

Subs:
MacDonald, Lloyd, Chapman, Adshead, Horton, Ebanks, Brown

Williams injured.
Warwickshire Robin
Bradbury cant be impressing then if he cant even get on the bench when we dont have another left sided cb?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Seems a decent start based on CTFC Twitter updates
Alf
Another dodgy referee.
HamTown
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 14:15 Bradbury cant be impressing then if he cant even get on the bench when we dont have another left sided cb?

Does seem a little strange, wonder if he'll go out on loan
HamTown
Looking pretty solid which is reassuring although the game doesn't seem to have got going

Perry bright, Taylor doesn't look out of place
Shade
Taylor has looked solid. Just one mistake with a poor clearance so far. Lots of good stuff.
We have had more shots on target...!
I feel like the opposition subs may make the difference again and may do many times this season given the current strength of our bench versus others now that 5 subs are allowed.

I wonder how long Hasselbaink has got at Burton. Was a bit surprised he didn't get the boot in the summer, and now they're 4 down at half time at home to Bristol Rovers, with a man sent off in the first minute.
Shade
f#!$ sake Alfie x2
HamTown
Shade wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 15:28 f#!$ sake Alfie x2
Pretty poor :?
Shade
Best pass forward for Barnsley all afternoon
Shade
At least we're going for it, every striker on the pitch bar Nlundulu
Shade
Ugh, Alfie has had a stinker. I suppose he is well in credit, though.
Shade
The ref is a joke as well but then that's standard and hardly needs saying. Pathetic.
Shade
Frustrating. Scrappy. And then messing about at the end instead of hurrying and didn't even get the throw in taken before the ref blew up. 1-0 at Barnsley not terrible, but feels like we were a good 10% under what we should have been going forward.
CTFC.Harry
Didn’t think we were awful at all just created absolutely nothing. May and Nldundulu did nothing but equally they didn’t get many chances. Southwood, Jackson, C Taylor and Freestone all played well. Rest were bang average or worse. Hopefully can turn it round against Portsmouth next Sat
HamTown
CTFC.Harry wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 16:16 Didn’t think we were awful at all just created absolutely nothing. May and Nldundulu did nothing but equally they didn’t get many chances. Southwood, Jackson, C Taylor and Freestone all played well. Rest were bang average or worse. Hopefully can turn it round against Portsmouth next Sat
Thought Perry was decent but probably ran out of steam
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
My worry is that because the tough opening three fixtures are all ones we would expect to lose on paper, we may rooted to the bottom before we face a direct rival in a more winnable game.

It might be we are only a couple of points from the pack, but psychologically it could be challenging for players and fans.
Alf
Well, we’ve lost the opening two games but haven’t been completely outplayed in either. Against Peterborough we could have been out of sight at half time but didn’t take our chances and I thought Barnsley were fairly average and not outstandingly better than us. This is something to build on.
N’Lundulu and May were disappointing compared to the first half last week but neither games were total disasters, just a bit frustrating.
CTFC.Harry
Agree Perry was good too. Another attacking midfielder and another Striker really would help. Hopefully soon.
Broadway Brian
Alf wrote:Well, we’ve lost the opening two games but haven’t been completely outplayed in either. Against Peterborough we could have been out of sight at half time but didn’t take our chances and I thought Barnsley were fairly average and not outstandingly better than us. This is something to build on.
N’Lundulu and May were disappointing compared to the first half last week but neither games were total disasters, just a bit frustrating.
Agreed but we seem to have very little to come off the bench to influence a game late on. That’s a worry.
Shade
Last week we were fine in the attacking department and needed defenders. This week we are fine defensively and need midfielders and strikers :lol:

Micky and Wade are after what they are after. We have a tough start to the season. I don't think we can judge the team until we see us against a team that will be in the bottom third, which our two opponents so far definitely won't be.
Warwickshire Robin
Shade wrote:Last week we were fine in the attacking department and needed defenders. This week we are fine defensively and need midfielders and strikers Image

Micky and Wade are after what they are after. We have a tough start to the season. I don't think we can judge the team until we see us against a team that will be in the bottom third, which our two opponents so far definitely won't be.
Agreed. If these 2 results would have happened in October with a few points in the bank then no one would be panicking but thinking thats ok against 2 recent Championship teams. But as its the first 2 games of season it seems bad.

Hopefully we can keep the confidence up and pick up the first points soon which will make eveyone relax a bit!

Jerry St Clair
Finishing 20th would be a good outcome this season. That means we'll lose nearly half our games and win, possibly, only 8 or 9. It's going to be bumpy. Hang in there.