aspects of the game that p*ss me off

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
1. "Game management" - i.e. Time Wasting, i.e f()cling cheating
Towards the end of the game today it was taking their f()cking keeper an age and a half to do anything. What happened to the rules regarding how long a goalkeeper could keep the ball. The worst rule change is what side a goal kick should be made from.
Teams get 1-0 up and it signals the onset of the time wasting.

2. Encroachment when taking throw ins and free kicks. Typified today when the ball went out of play a good 10 yards away from the half way line and finished up being thrown in 20 yards the other side of the half way line. This is typically worsened by the inconsistency of the average referee who seems to let the opposition take these throw ins and free kicks from anywhere they like yet start whistling like a demented kettle if we dared take it anywhere more than a quarter of an inch away from the exact blade of grass !!
asl
I agree with your first point and give you our own Scott Brown as one of the worst exponents of that particular 'tactic.' I hope it annoyed you just as much, then.

The second...well...I think everyone does it. So long as there's consistency about what the ref allows, it doesn't really bother me, tbh. Remember the goal we scored from a corner when the ball must have been a yard outside the corner quadrant? Same thing.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Part of the game and we’d do the same if 1-0 up. And our throw in encroachment certainly annoyed Pep!

I agree it is annoying though.
Alf
I can’t see why it is beyond the ability of the referees to administer the rules of the game correctly.
They are quite capable of squirting a white line on the ground for free kicks and I’m sure if the players
marched past the ref with the ball and placed it ten yards past the drawn line he would make him bring it back to the line, so why should it be difficult getting a player to take a throw in from the correct spot? Is it maybe because the players would use this as another time wasting exercise so being a bit liberal with the throw ins gets the game moving quickly.
Warwickshire Robin
The laws are there to stop all this if they were used properly. Take a throw from the wrong place, throw goes to the opposition. Likewise with the main hate of mine, the all in wrestling scenes at every corner. Give pens and this will soon stop.

If refs concentrated on doing their job rather than just giving the decisions to the big clubs then it would make the game better.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Alf
Totally agree.
slinky_dog
So many things p*ss me off! One day, perhaps Football league and Premier League will stop taking fans for granted.

On the time management point, I’d like to see the clock stopped whenever the ball is not in play. I doubt we get more than 60 minutes in a 90 minute game. Wouldn’t care if the game was reduced to 80 minutes, but it would remove the frustration.
Horteng
Agreed its frustrating but I can see why teams do it. We would if we were 1-0 up with 10 mins to go. For as long as the officials allow it teams will do it including us.
asl
I've suggested the same thing in conversations, SD. Compare to the ladies game, where I reckon the ball is in play for well over 80 mins.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Jerry St Clair
As always, its worth looking at the Laws of the Game which, for delaying a restart, leave the ref a lot of room for interpretation.
Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct wrote:DELAYING THE RESTART OF PLAY

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
excessively delaying a restart
kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake
Nothing specific about goalkeepers taking goal kicks or the "six second rule" which disappeared decades ago I think.

The "appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team mate" is pretty widely abused though, I'd say.
little mo
I read last week that in the prem last season the ball was only" in play" for an average of 55 mins 7 seconds.
Warwickshire Robin
little mo wrote:I read last week that in the prem last season the ball was only" in play" for an average of 55 mins 7 seconds.
Yes its a joke isnt it. Noticed last week when we were in front against Posh the ref was very quick to have a go at our guys for slowing the game down but next to nothing said to them in the last 10 minutes when they were doing the same

No consistency at all.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Shade
There was talk in the summer, I think, that FIFA or whoever were considering making games 60 minutes and stopping the clock every time the ball was out of play.

Watching the hockey this weekend, the clock doesn't stop but you don't see any time wasting or delays at all when the ball goes off the field. A ball is immediately placed near where the ball went out and someone has restarted the game usually within 3 or 4 seconds. Refs just need to grow a pair and not accept any messing around, there are no excuses or reasons it should take so long, and be CONSISTENT about it. Not one rule for one...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 10:06 There was talk in the summer, I think, that FIFA or whoever were considering making games 60 minutes and stopping the clock every time the ball was out of play.

Watching the hockey this weekend, the clock doesn't stop but you don't see any time wasting or delays at all when the ball goes off the field. A ball is immediately placed near where the ball went out and someone has restarted the game usually within 3 or 4 seconds. Refs just need to grow a pair and not accept any messing around, there are no excuses or reasons it should take so long, and be CONSISTENT about it. Not one rule for one...
I’d like the stopped watch approach but still have a time limit for throws etc so stop games taking up four hours.
Nesty
Today's game proved my point.
paperboy
Pretty poor from the referee allowing Exeter to take quick throw-ins etc.
longmover
I see Liverpool got their goal against Newcastle, it was good to see the ref adding the time on for Newcastle's antics but I could never see any ref adding that amount of time on (for time wasting) at say Southampton or Bournemouth for those respective teams.