Lack of Quality

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
I think yesterday's performance against a very mediocre Barnsley side really has shown its going to be a real long hard struggle this season.

The defence performed better than the Posh game but that wasnt going to be difficult in all honesty, Freestone again playing well, and Taylor looked confident Long had a mare. Weve two Strikers who I believe can be a threat if they have the correct service and yesterday they had none or very little. Midfield was very average Sercs and Perry coming out with some credit.

This is our problem, were losing 20mins to go and were chasing the game and we turn to the bench to discover
MacDonald, Lloyd, Chapman, Adshead, Horton, Ebanks, Brown
Seriously, in my view a bench of mediocrity to be playing at this level there not good enough to help get us back into a game or help protect a lead, totally uninspiring . A long hard winter lays ahead of us, please pray im wrong
HamTown
shevates wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 04:45 I think yesterday's performance against a very mediocre Barnsley side really has shown its going to be a real long hard struggle this season.

The defence performed better than the Posh game but that wasnt going to be difficult in all honesty, Freestone again playing well, and Taylor looked confident Long had a mare. Weve two Strikers who I believe can be a threat if they have the correct service and yesterday they had none or very little. Midfield was very average Sercs and Perry coming out with some credit.

This is our problem, were losing 20mins to go and were chasing the game and we turn to the bench to discover
Seriously, in my view a bench of mediocrity to be playing at this level there not good enough to help get us back into a game or help protect a lead, totally uninspiring . A long hard winter lays ahead of us, please pray im wrong
I don't think Barnsley are mediocre, it was more of a case 2 very similar setup teams canceling each other out

The squad is a bit lacking in depth though. It would only take a couple of injuries or even just a fixture pile up and we'd be struggling. Hopefully this can be somewhat remedied with the 2 signings that have been mentioned
Broadway Brian
HamTown wrote:
shevates wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 04:45 I think yesterday's performance against a very mediocre Barnsley side really has shown its going to be a real long hard struggle this season.

I don't think Barnsley are mediocre, it was more of a case 2 very similar setup teams canceling each other out

The squad is a bit lacking in depth though. It would only take a couple of injuries or even just a fixture pile up and we'd be struggling. Hopefully this can be somewhat remedied with the 2 signings that have been mentioned
The lack of depth is an issue right now. We should have 4 points on the board already without being too fanciful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The bench strength is certainly a concern currently.

But it is not games against promotion chasing Peterborough or Barnsley which will determine our fate.

Tuesday 16th away at Fleetwood will be a good indicator. If we come away from there with nothing then we do need to prepare ourselves for a battle and struggle.

Is it just me, or when scrolling through the fixtures are there very few ‘easy’ games where we should be confident of the points? Most games look tough.
shevates
Going by that performance Barnsley will not make the playoffs, thats all I can go by. A lot of our fans were saying on that encounter MD has his work cut out.
Obviously come the New Year a clearer picture will be visible.
As for our bench it does lack quality which is a major concern, not knocking them for being here but why. I know were missing Williams, and Blair, and the mystery of
Bradbury, but theres little to turn to, the weakest bench weve had in a while. Our starting eleven virtually picks itself which is a major concern and shouldnt be that way
Horteng
Its a very disappointing start. I don't look too much at the opposition but the manner that we threw away a 2 goal lead in the opening game and go on a lose it was disappointing and concerning. Yesterday it didn't sound like we created much. Wade seems a nice enough guy but doesn't seem the sort of bloke that will fire the lads up. Hope I am wrong with that. MD was very decisive. You knew what you were going to get. Wade doesn't seem so to me but I could be wrong.

Early days but its been disappointing start. Lets hope we find some form and kick on but I think this season is going to be struggle.
Malabus
Midfield seems to be the problem. With Conor Thomas and Callum Wright now departed, it was always going to be a potential problem regarding creativity and supply to the forwards.
HamTown
Malabus wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 11:22 Midfield seems to be the problem. With Conor Thomas and Callum Wright now departed, it was always going to be a potential problem regarding creativity and supply to the forwards.
This didn't seem to be an issue Vs Peterborough
Shade
We have played 2 games against 2 of the top favourites to go up, one home and one away, and lost both by 1 goal. The transfer window is still open for another 3 weeks + and we know that more players will be coming in because the head coach has said that we are after players. And maybe Barnsley looked mediocre because we, mostly, nullified each other? Maybe we are actually not that bad a side and can make the top teams look mediocre? Peterborough certainly looked it in the first half until they showed their extra spending power to transform their team in the second half.

BUT, if anyone honestly thought this season WASN'T going to be a struggle...what the hell WERE you expecting? Last season was a struggle, we conceded 80 goals, and we secured safety with about 4 or 5 games mostly thanks to an incredible run of form from Alfie. I would say it's very unlikely we could concede 80 again and stay up, let alone get a club record finish. Where we are as a club right now, unless a bunch of teams are terrible or we get lucky with an unknown gem (such as an Eisa), we SHOULD be fighting relegation every season in League One. Sure, it would be nice to be comfortably mid-table or higher and that's what we hope for and why we watch, but realistically our budget is still at the bottom of this division. We have no right to be anywhere else.
Ralph
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 15:10

BUT, if anyone honestly thought this season WASN'T going to be a struggle...what the hell WERE you expecting? Last season was a struggle, we conceded 80 goals, and we secured safety with about 4 or 5 games mostly thanks to an incredible run of form from Alfie. I would say it's very unlikely we could concede 80 again and stay up, let alone get a club record finish. Where we are as a club right now, unless a bunch of teams are terrible or we get lucky with an unknown gem (such as an Eisa), we SHOULD be fighting relegation every season in League One. Sure, it would be nice to be comfortably mid-table or higher and that's what we hope for and why we watch, but realistically our budget is still at the bottom of this division. We have no right to be anywhere else.
Only legit post so far in this thread.
Si Robin
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 15:10 We have played 2 games against 2 of the top favourites to go up, one home and one away, and lost both by 1 goal. The transfer window is still open for another 3 weeks + and we know that more players will be coming in because the head coach has said that we are after players. And maybe Barnsley looked mediocre because we, mostly, nullified each other? Maybe we are actually not that bad a side and can make the top teams look mediocre? Peterborough certainly looked it in the first half until they showed their extra spending power to transform their team in the second half.

There you go again with your REASON and LOGIC.

It's not bloody welcome here!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 15:10 We have played 2 games against 2 of the top favourites to go up, one home and one away, and lost both by 1 goal. The transfer window is still open for another 3 weeks + and we know that more players will be coming in because the head coach has said that we are after players. And maybe Barnsley looked mediocre because we, mostly, nullified each other? Maybe we are actually not that bad a side and can make the top teams look mediocre? Peterborough certainly looked it in the first half until they showed their extra spending power to transform their team in the second half.

Spot on.
Nesty
never mind the quality - feel the width
MittonRobin
Wade will be well out of His Depth. Not a betting man but i wouldn't think he will get to November ! :(
Shade
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:58 Wade will be well out of His Depth. Not a betting man but i wouldn't think he will get to November ! :(
:lol: :lol: :lol: Jesus, plumbing new depths now
Si Robin
To quote an old poster....

:roll:
Broadway Brian
Ralph wrote:
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 15:10

Only legit post so far in this thread.
I’d suggest following that there are a few valid and “legit” points made elsewhere in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horteng
What’s the difference from last season? Why is this season a nailed on relegation battle after 3 games? Have some ambition ffs. If we have the mentality of “We will be relegated” then we will be relegated.
Horteng
Never mind. We have the highest XG after 2 games so alls well
MittonRobin
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:50
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:58 Wade will be well out of His Depth. Not a betting man but i wouldn't think he will get to November ! :(
If you think this performance is acceptable then you my friend are in need of some serious help! He’s a nice guy ( brilliant ) he’s not a football manager
Shade
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:12
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:50
If you think this performance is acceptable then you my friend are in need of some serious help! He’s a nice guy ( brilliant ) he’s not a football manager
My friend, did I say anything about this performance? I'm still reserving judgment until we have played a team or two like Fleetwood in the league. 3 competitive games is too early to judge, even if one is an epic hammering. Please excuse me for having some faith and not writing the man off by August 10th...
Broadway Brian
Shade wrote:
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:12
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:50 :lol: :lol: :lol: Jesus, plumbing new depths now
My friend, did I say anything about this performance? I'm still reserving judgment until we have played a team or two like Fleetwood in the league. 3 competitive games is too early to judge, even if one is an epic hammering. Please excuse me for having some faith and not writing the man off by August 10th...
Well we’ve just played such a team this evening and it’s clearly major cause for concern.

We have a squad that has a 60 minute plan A at the moment and seemingly little else to offer.

Wade has a hell of a job on his hands, which for a newbie manager - we’ll see.

The attitude / effort / commitment stunk the place out tonight irrespective of the complete absence of quality or idea.

Hope the fabled match against Fleetwood is the answer…
andgarod
not only lack of quality
lack of passion
lack of leadership on the pitch
lack of passion or leadership in the dugout
rooner
Fleetwood beat Wigan tonight :shock:
HamTown
Rather than echo lots of other points I would just chuck in a small nugget of hope in that we lost 5 - 0 to Cambridge at home last season with seemingly more "quality" in the squad and the season was regarded as a big success, still early days
rooner
But we don’t have the quality we had last season - manager for one
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:27 Rather than echo lots of other points I would just chuck in a small nugget of hope in that we lost 5 - 0 to Cambridge at home last season with seemingly more "quality" in the squad and the season was regarded as a big success, still early days
Correct. Freak results happen. Wade and the new players are still settling in. Let’s see how they react in the coming month - that’s a better thing to judge them on than a one off freak result.
Fuller
Trouble is we’ve signed a load of kids, and they’ve replaced seasoned pros like Flinders, Boyle, Thomas and Hussey.
We desperately need more League One experience on the park right now.
But we can’t just ship young players out and replace them now. The coaches will have their work cut out for sure.
Warwickshire Robin
I've seen a few mentions of a lack of quality in the squad but I dont see how much worse this years squad is than last years, at least on paper?

Of the players in our starting 11 we have changed Goalkeeper looks to be at least like for like, Taylor looks potentially to be on a par with Matty P, Nlundulu and Perry we know are decent.

The big losses are Callum who we knew we probably weren't able to replace with equal quality and Boyle who nobody seemed too sad to lose when he left.

The additions of Adshead, Ferry, Jackson surely make our squad stronger overall than last season not weaker?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Robin
I mentioned it before the start of the season but for me the defence has not been improved despite obvious frailties last season. Also up top we have two strikers we can rely upon, if we sell Alfie we will be in real trouble.

You say the squad is strong but last season our forward line was May, Nlundulu, Etete, Williams, Brown and Lloyd, so we've lost two players there (one of which was very important and the other very experienced) and not replaced them. In centre back we've lost Pollock and Boyle who were good players for this level and signed Taylor (who by all accounts had a strong debut) and Bradbury (who can't even get in the team ahead of Lewis Freestone), this was a weak point in the team last season and appears to have got weaker.

I do feel we've improved in the full back positions especially vs first half of last season but Taylor and Hutchinson are effectively dead wood being carried now.
Warwickshire Robin
I didnt say it was strong, just that i think it is overall stronger than last year.

Agree very much that we need another centre back, i thought we would miss Boyle more than many imagined we would especially if not replaced correctly and we need another big striker to cover Nlundulu

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Fuller
And add a proper combatative midfielder, not like "fancy dan" Bonds who gives the ball away too easily.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 09:48 And add a proper combatative midfielder, not like "fancy dan" Bonds who gives the ball away too easily.
Bonds has been our best ball winner the last two seasons imo.
little mo
Boyle was sitting in the away end with Chelt fans at Barnsley, fair play Will.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:24 Boyle was sitting in the away end with Chelt fans at Barnsley, fair play Will.
Was he still suspended?