Lack of Quality

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:33
Fuller wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 09:48 And add a proper combatative midfielder, not like "fancy dan" Bonds who gives the ball away too easily.
Bonds has been our best ball winner the last two seasons imo.
Bonds couldn't get in our team for the first half of last season :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:58
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:33
Fuller wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 09:48 And add a proper combatative midfielder, not like "fancy dan" Bonds who gives the ball away too easily.
Bonds has been our best ball winner the last two seasons imo.
Bonds couldn't get in our team for the first half of last season :lol: :lol:
Because he was recovering from a serious injury incurred the previous season, before which he was our best ball player imo.

Glad you think a young player working hard to get up to match strength and fitness is so amusing.
Robin
No I find your statement amusing for the fact he hardly played for us over the last two seasons because he was injured and then recovering.
Shade
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 13:13 No I find your statement amusing for the fact he hardly played for us over the last two seasons because he was injured and then recovering.
I think the point is he hardly played and yet he was still our best ball winning midfielder.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 13:54
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 13:13 No I find your statement amusing for the fact he hardly played for us over the last two seasons because he was injured and then recovering.
I think the point is he hardly played and yet he was still our best ball winning midfielder.
if he was or wasn't. Not a very high bar to get over, it has to be said
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:37
little mo wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:24 Boyle was sitting in the away end with Chelt fans at Barnsley, fair play Will.
Was he still suspended?
No he played last 15 mins for Hudds the night before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 13:54
Correct. Good to see at least one poster can read and comprehend.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 14:52
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:37
little mo wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:24 Boyle was sitting in the away end with Chelt fans at Barnsley, fair play Will.
Was he still suspended?
No he played last 15 mins for Hudds the night before.
Cool. Cheers.
GingerRedMan
I don't post often but have to today. Last night was very poor. Only Ferry came out of that game with genuine credit. But talk of getting rid of the manager is a one way ticket to disaster. He's a proven and in demand coach. We've had a few seasons of brilliant recruitment and results of which he's played a full part. He needs time

Much more, what would be the impact of terminating his new and long contract (and presumably contracts of other staff as well)? Evidently we run to budget, so a new manager would take us well over budget and prevent any new signings unless the board were willing to carry debt. Going down a division and in debt creates a massive burden before a ball is kicked. No, so much better on both a business and human level to give plenty him time. Personally, I think we look ok is most positions. Perry will improve for sure and the front two are fine at this level. Bonds and Sercombe won't let us down. The wing backs look fine too and if Taylor comes good then I think a back three should be ok. Long rarely gets beaten and Freestone can improve a lot. Already he looks better in the air and gives us aggression we painfully lacked last night. Back-up is a worry after last night but Blair and Williams are good, Ebanks, Lloyd are promising and Brown hasn't had much pitch time yet. Some of the new players I've not seen enough times to comment but I trust recruitment after many good signings

Saturday is a good test. After last night I hope we see plenty of desire. My guess is some players respond to load 'encouragement' from the dugout; perhaps we like the idea they're all self-motivated, but I guess not all human beings are like that, especially under a stressful match situation. Wade might like to ponder that (although I've no doubt he has much more knowledge than me on football matters!). The moaners in the Paddock last night might also like to ponder whether their 'helpful' comments were actually helpful at all
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
GingerRedMan wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 16:25 I don't post often but have to today. Last night was very poor. Only Ferry came out of that game with genuine credit. But talk of getting rid of the manager is a one way ticket to disaster. He's a proven and in demand coach. We've had a few seasons of brilliant recruitment and results of which he's played a full part. He needs time

Much more, what would be the impact of terminating his new and long contract (and presumably contracts of other staff as well)? Evidently we run to budget, so a new manager would take us well over budget and prevent any new signings unless the board were willing to carry debt. Going down a division and in debt creates a massive burden before a ball is kicked. No, so much better on both a business and human level to give plenty him time. Personally, I think we look ok is most positions. Perry will improve for sure and the front two are fine at this level. Bonds and Sercombe won't let us down. The wing backs look fine too and if Taylor comes good then I think a back three should be ok. Long rarely gets beaten and Freestone can improve a lot. Already he looks better in the air and gives us aggression we painfully lacked last night. Back-up is a worry after last night but Blair and Williams are good, Ebanks, Lloyd are promising and Brown hasn't had much pitch time yet. Some of the new players I've not seen enough times to comment but I trust recruitment after many good signings

Saturday is a good test. After last night I hope we see plenty of desire. My guess is some players respond to load 'encouragement' from the dugout; perhaps we like the idea they're all self-motivated, but I guess not all human beings are like that, especially under a stressful match situation. Wade might like to ponder that (although I've no doubt he has much more knowledge than me on football matters!). The moaners in the Paddock last night might also like to ponder whether their 'helpful' comments were actually helpful at all
Fantastic summing up.
Ihearye
GingerRedMan wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 16:25 I don't post often but have to today. Last night was very poor. Only Ferry came out of that game with genuine credit. But talk of getting rid of the manager is a one way ticket to disaster. He's a proven and in demand coach. We've had a few seasons of brilliant recruitment and results of which he's played a full part. He needs time

Just a few comments on this take on the current position
> Just how many staff do we actually have on the books? A lot of departures and not many getting past the first interview on the way in. I am not suggesting we get rid of Wade now, the board have made their bed and will have to lay in it.

> The front 2 are just that - 2. I don't see another 15 goal person on the bench if we need to call the cavalry fro some reason.
> Blair , sounds like he is done
> How many years are we allowed to pass while we attach the tag 'promising' to Lloyd ?
> Freestone - sounds like he has moved on from last season, but would not be putting my mortgage on him.
> Wouldn't comment on the new bunch as they need time, BUT they shouldn't need time to grow a pair and stop finding a hole in the pitch to hide in
PittvillePundit
Plenty of support and an absence of negativity at the first misplaced pass is what's needed on Saturday.
Si Robin
I suspect that is very much wishful thinking on your part PP.
Shade
Can't say I'm looking forward to Saturday. Not because of the game, but because of the crowd. It's Portsmouth, we are LIKELY to not win (they just beat Cardiff 3-0 away on Tuesday, off the back of two League 1 draws). But on the back of Tuesday some in the crowd could make it quite unsavoury if there is an early away goal or a few nervy passes.
Fuller
Not looking forward to it because it’s gonna be 35 degrees plus sat in the CF stand.
How hot does it have to get before games are called off?
Artemis
The test will be the state of the pitch. Too hard and unable to water enough, or without sufficient live grass, then its possible the game will be postponed.