New signing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
HamTown
Guess this means we'll unlikely to be seeing Freestone as LB / LWB in the future which I think is where he performs best. Seems a reasonable player on paper, just not a priority position for me
Nesty
Another defender ??
Shade
I'm guessing Hutchinson on his way out on loan or Williams', who seems to be unavailable more than he's available, injury is bad...because we don't need 3 left backs plus Freestone who can play there.
horlickfanclub
Jackson also plays left side.
Si Robin
JP says Hutchinson is likely to go out on loan.

Ferry seems to be well thought of by Crawley fans, so that's something. What concerns me is that Williams was hauled off against Posh and hasn't played since (albeit only one game and tonight). Has something been said there that's seen him fall out of favour.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, and I'm sure it's nothing, but this seems an odd signing otherwise.
HamTown
Si Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 14:08 JP says Hutchinson is likely to go out on loan.

Ferry seems to be well thought of by Crawley fans, so that's something. What concerns me is that Williams was hauled off against Posh and hasn't played since (albeit only one game and tonight). Has something been said there that's seen him fall out of favour.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, and I'm sure it's nothing, but this seems an odd signing otherwise.
Wade said Williams was out with a back injury but they were being cautious with him

Totally forgot about Hutchinson, didn't think he did too bad last season when called upon
Fuller
Well we didn’t see that one coming, but Wade said the other day that there would be a few twists and turns with regards to signings in the next few weeks.
tunnelvision
Not what I was expecting either. I was surprised that we gave a contract to Hutchinson, as what little I've seen of him he hasn't impressed me. Williams seems to blow hot and cold, usually good going forward but defensively needs to improve. Perhaps not that big a surprise in that context.

However, I think we desperately need another central midfielder (or two). Bonds, Chapman ( :roll: ), Sercombe, Adshead & Perry aren't enough. The only real experience in there is Sercs, but we can't expect him to play 90 mins every game. Bonds already looked knackered in the 2nd half against Posh, Perry's fitnesss is untested after last seasons long injury layoff and Adshead and Chapman are largely unknown quantities. Chapman in particular is yet to impress in a Cheltenham shirt.

Whatever happened to Barkers?

As regards centre halves, who knows? An unconvincing line-up!
paperboy
Think this guy played midfielder for Crawley too, which would be useful- and he's played under John Yems!
Hutchinson could be loaned out as JP suggests along with a couple of others so it just leaves the loan forward to come which WE said would be late.
Chance for tonight's players to put their hand up.
Jon Palmer
Confirmed, two-year deal: https://bit.ly/DoneDeal10
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 14:08 JP says Hutchinson is likely to go out on loan.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy here either but it's a valid discussion to have given that we clearly have other areas of the team which need improvement and the fact we were targeting attacking players was in the public domain. If Williams is fit do we even see this lad playing much, presumably we've paid a fee for him too.
Robin
tunnelvision wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:27 Not what I was expecting either. I was surprised that we gave a contract to Hutchinson, as what little I've seen of him he hasn't impressed me. Williams seems to blow hot and cold, usually good going forward but defensively needs to improve. Perhaps not that big a surprise in that context.

However, I think we desperately need another central midfielder (or two). Bonds, Chapman ( :roll: ), Sercombe, Adshead & Perry aren't enough. The only real experience in there is Sercs, but we can't expect him to play 90 mins every game. Bonds already looked knackered in the 2nd half against Posh, Perry's fitnesss is untested after last seasons long injury layoff and Adshead and Chapman are largely unknown quantities. Chapman in particular is yet to impress in a Cheltenham shirt.

Barkers is being groomed as a centre half to play in the middle of the three and is likely to go out on loan for more experience from what I was told.
andgarod
or the saints have first refusal or bye back clause so a perm deal a bit like Evans
( we dont need 7 loans as the suggestion is that the striker will be a loan)
CB definitely required

I notice that the picture JP had him a 11 shirt
tunnelvision
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:49 I'm guessing Hutchinson on his way out on loan or Williams', who seems to be unavailable more than he's available, injury is bad...because we don't need 3 left backs plus Freestone who can play there.
Isn't James Taylor also a wing back, that can play either side?
Shade
Personally, I have never thought Hutchinson was good enough in his handful of appearances. He was ok when we were desperate but he never looked close to comfortable at this level, I thought. Freestone is being used ahead of him so it would seem that it was maybe MD's decision to retain him rather than Wade's. Don't forget also that MD was always after another good left back to challenge Hussey. As soon as Williams came in, Hussey left, and we basically had to settle for Hutchinson at the time, who is never going to challenge for a first team place.

Williams needs strong competition and Ferry sounds like he should be giving it to him. As MD said, we are always looking to try and improve upon what we have, so overall I am all for this signing as long as we can get a player off the wage bill. Or at least some of his wages.
Shade
tunnelvision wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:52
Shade wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 13:49 I'm guessing Hutchinson on his way out on loan or Williams', who seems to be unavailable more than he's available, injury is bad...because we don't need 3 left backs plus Freestone who can play there.
Correct, wing back that can play either side, in the middle of defence or 'several other positions'. A modern day Craig Armstrong. I'm imagining he's more RWB cover though, with Blair out for an unknown length of time. He's only on loan until January at the moment.
Robin
tunnelvision wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:52
Supposedly yes, that's one really weird loan signing to be honest. Presumably we are paying zero of his wages otherwise it's another deal that doesn't make any sense at all.
HamTown
Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:42

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy here either but it's a valid discussion to have given that we clearly have other areas of the team which need improvement and the fact we were targeting attacking players was in the public domain. If Williams is fit do we even see this lad playing much, presumably we've paid a fee for him too.
I'm wondering whether it's less a conspiracy and can simply be explained by having 5 subs this season and Wade expects more intensity for fewer minutes from the wingbacks with the plan to replace them regularly during games?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 16:03
Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:42

I'm wondering whether it's less a conspiracy and can simply be explained by having 5 subs this season and Wade expects more intensity for fewer minutes from the wingbacks with the plan to replace them regularly during games?
Correct. Duff used to talk about how fit full backs had to be to keep our style of play for 90 mins.

Probably one of the most important positions to change in the last 20-30 mins given we need them to run more than anyone else.

He may have played with Nlundulu before as well of course and link up well with him. The club’s article says how many he assisted and scored playing in midfield at Southampton.

We had a thread bemoaning lack of options on the bench, and now people are moaning we permanently sign an option for the bench…

Looks a good signing to me. A really exciting prospect for now and the future.

Well done Wade, Mickey Moore and the Board.
Artemis
Five subs means both wing backs can be replaced. Given the demands of the role, that makes sense, and the signing of Ferry also makes sense; to cater for injuries and suspensions, at least six competent wingbacks are needed on the books.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:47
tunnelvision wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:27 Not what I was expecting either. I was surprised that we gave a contract to Hutchinson, as what little I've seen of him he hasn't impressed me. Williams seems to blow hot and cold, usually good going forward but defensively needs to improve. Perhaps not that big a surprise in that context.

Barkers is being groomed as a centre half to play in the middle of the three and is likely to go out on loan for more experience from what I was told.
Looking forward to hearing which coach we are going to sign that can make that transformation. Apart from needing to bulk out, he will need to learn how to jump and then how to head a ball. From anything I have seen off him, playing in the middle of the back three, shows how badly off we are