Reserves

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
I dont know if it was a cist cutting exercise not to have a reserve team
Last season we had 18 or so 1st team players

After last night where do these players get fitness
Where do they get to learn formation

There are some who need to learn that hard work goes a long way

Sometimes the reserve team is known as the bomb squad
Well last night it blew up
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tosh. Just score more and concede less.
andgarod
We can ignore your response RCS
You were not there and as you said somewhere else you were not worried

So how do the 6 - 11 players not playing get experience fitness chance to improve

10 new players - where is the passion
Ferry must be wondering what he let himself in for
Si Robin
Is there such thing as reserves anymore?

U23 football maybe, but it's costly to run a team and that's usually why we don't run with one.
Robin
Exactly Si Robin, reserve team football is now a thing of the past and U23 is the replacement. As you say it's costly so majority of lower league (below Championship) sides don't sustain them.
Warwickshire Robin
I know its a cost thing but its a big problem that a big part of our squad get little or no competitive football for weeks on end and are then expected to perform when thrown in. Nights like last night prove that doesnt work.

I dont know the answer but maybe having an Academy u21 team that can have senior players play like in the Premier League competition? Or maybe set up a local competition against the likes of Oxford, Swindon, Gloucester, Kiddie etc.?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 08:57 I know its a cost thing but its a big problem that a big part of our squad get little or no competitive football for weeks on end and are then expected to perform when thrown in. Nights like last night prove that doesnt work.

I dont know the answer but maybe having an Academy u21 team that can have senior players play like in the Premier League competition? Or maybe set up a local competition against the likes of Oxford, Swindon, Gloucester, Kiddie etc.?

If nights last night prove it doesn’t work does two record breaking seasons in a row prove it does?
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 08:57 I know its a cost thing but its a big problem that a big part of our squad get little or no competitive football for weeks on end and are then expected to perform when thrown in. Nights like last night prove that doesnt work.

If nights last night prove it doesn’t work does two record breaking seasons in a row prove it does?
Yes that is true and last night will (hopefully!) be an exception by changing 8 players at once but the fact remains our starting 11 pretty much picks itself at the moment so that means a good number of players will be seriously undercooked when called upon.

Just because we have had 3 fantastic seasons on the trot doesnt mean we stop looking for ways to improve.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:01
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Yes that is true and last night will (hopefully!) be an exception by changing 8 players at once but the fact remains our starting 11 pretty much picks itself at the moment so that means a good number of players will be seriously undercooked when called upon.

Just because we have had 3 fantastic seasons on the trot doesnt mean we stop looking for ways to improve.

That last point is a very good one. We do always need to look for ways to improve. And that improvement is what I am hoping to see this season. It’s the 10th August, two league games gone, transfer window not even closed, so I am going to give the new set up some more time yet to judge the direction of travel.