Robins Report Podcast

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Apart from Si's updates, it's pretty quiet on this thread.

So, it's worth saying that I really enjoy the podcast and look forward to it dropping every week. Really well-paced, in-depth, insightful conversation about CTFC. Keep up the good work fellas.
Si Robin
Thanks Jerry - it's much appreciated.

I love being part of it and recording them on a Thursday night.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight is joined @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @MattMS_YouTube & @DaveCohen_ as they discuss..

- Groundhog Day
- A Put Right
- A New Face
- History Made
- Derby at home

Enjoy and as always… UP THE TOWN! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2v6Q1j ... KpTJg&nd=1

Also on most other podcast platforms
Si Robin
Just bumping this thread to remind you all that we record on Thursday evenings usually, so if there is anything you would like for us to discuss/mention just drop a note here or pm me and we'll try and get it in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 08:02 Just bumping this thread to remind you all that we record on Thursday evenings usually, so if there is anything you would like for us to discuss/mention just drop a note here or pm me and we'll try and get it in.
How important is the PJT - would you rest players in the league to try and win it?
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote:Just bumping this thread to remind you all that we record on Thursday evenings usually, so if there is anything you would like for us to discuss/mention just drop a note here or pm me and we'll try and get it in.
If the football gods said you can win one of the two upcoming trips to Plymouth, which would you take?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:09
Si Robin wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 08:02 Just bumping this thread to remind you all that we record on Thursday evenings usually, so if there is anything you would like for us to discuss/mention just drop a note here or pm me and we'll try and get it in.
How important is the PJT - would you rest players in the league to try and win it?
We've decided your question will be better answered closer to the PJT game RCS, so it definitely won't be forgotten.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 22:51
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:09
We've decided your question will be better answered closer to the PJT game RCS, so it definitely won't be forgotten.
Thanks for the update. Agreed that focus needs to be on the next league games!
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @Owen__Knight, @MarkHalliwell1, @SimonGardiner84, @bretonday5, @MattMS_YouTube & @tomjwade discuss..

- Derby disappointment
- Another new face
- Expectations
- Plymouth away
- Plymouth away 2.0

Enjoy & UP THE TOWN! #ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/04sut7 ... 0ZH_A&nd=1

longmover

What ground improvements would you like to see (at WR) in the next five years (realistically) and if money was no issue what ground improvements would you like to see.
Si Robin
longmover wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:40

What ground improvements would you like to see (at WR) in the next five years (realistically) and if money was no issue what ground improvements would you like to see.
I like that one - I'll try and get it in this week.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:47
longmover wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 09:40

I like that one - I'll try and get it in this week.
thanks
Si Robin
New @Robins_Report podcast episode here as myself, @Owen__Knight and @SimonGardiner84 discuss Plymouth, Port Vale and the transfer window

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3JaofM ... 54ace&nd=1

Longmover - We do discuss your question
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 16:23
You did. And very interesting it was too.

But you failed to raise the most pressing question: Why is Match Deya not available in the Colin Farmer bar, when it's available everywhere else in the ground?

Forget the defensive midfielder debate - this is my most pressing concern right now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great podcast Si and the guys. This is becoming essential listening in that dead time between breakfast and 3pm on Saturdays.
Anteros
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 12:26 Great podcast Si and the guys. This is becoming essential listening in that dead time between breakfast and 3pm on Saturdays.
Yeah I agree. Listened to it while out doing errands this morning.
Keep it up!
Si Robin
Thanks guys - much appreciated.

We do have some ideas for the close season as well, at the moment it's easy to do previous match review, then next match preview, with the news of the week being discussed, but we want to have a bit more fun with it, so will ask on here for contributions etc... going forward.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 16:23 New @Robins_Report podcast episode here as myself, @Owen__Knight and @SimonGardiner84 discuss Plymouth, Port Vale and the transfer window

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3JaofM ... 54ace&nd=1

Thanks Si
Si Robin
We have recorded a matchday pod following myself, Owen and Tom before, during and after the game on Saturday.

Anyone who thinks we're clear rose-tinters (and I do like to find the positives I admit) may have a different opinion after listening. It was due to be released yesterday, but Tom has been exceptionally busy so has promised it will be out this evening. Naturally I'll post it straight to here when it's up.
Broadway Brian
Excellent. I haven’t said it before but great work on the Pod. It’s a great listen.

Of course, I don’t agree with everything but that’s life and that’s football. Thanks for putting the effort in.

Would be interested to know if you still feel a new midfielder is not required.

Looking forward to the live broadcast from Wembley later in the season.
Si Robin
To quote a message from our WhatsApp chat at half-time on Saturday:

"How they can look at this and not feel we need a midfielder is baffling"
Broadway Brian
Just seen that Charlton have made a great loan signing in Gavin Kilkenny.

This is triggering me back to my childhood when the other kids had the fancy trainers and went abroad on holiday whilst we couldn’t afford 🙈
Benhall-Robin
Good Listen Si Robin.

I wondered whether this may be a topic of interest. During my pre match pint on Saturday afternoon I stumbled across our ctfc facebook account which had several comments relating to switching the home support to the Whaddon Road end with the away contingent housing the Prestbury Road End Terrace.

By doing so it would instantly create a greater home atmosphere within the stadium. Also, we could increase the away fans allocation with the full terrace and perhaps blocks 1 and 2 of the Colin Farmer Stand being available. I saw comments relating to concern with the away support traveling through the car park, this could be omitted by policed directing away supporters around the outside of the car park with cars being held back for 10 minutes. Alternatively, we keep away fans in the stadium for 10 minutes on the final whistle to enable home fans to leave the area.

We would all like an improved atmosphere, this enables that but more importantly the home fans should be able to enjoy a better facility and vantage point of the match.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benhall-Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 14:15 Good Listen Si Robin.

I wondered whether this may be a topic of interest. During my pre match pint on Saturday afternoon I stumbled across our ctfc facebook account which had several comments relating to switching the home support to the Whaddon Road end with the away contingent housing the Prestbury Road End Terrace.

By doing so it would instantly create a greater home atmosphere within the stadium. Also, we could increase the away fans allocation with the full terrace and perhaps blocks 1 and 2 of the Colin Farmer Stand being available. I saw comments relating to concern with the away support traveling through the car park, this could be omitted by policed directing away supporters around the outside of the car park with cars being held back for 10 minutes. Alternatively, we keep away fans in the stadium for 10 minutes on the final whistle to enable home fans to leave the area.

We would all like an improved atmosphere, this enables that but more importantly the home fans should be able to enjoy a better facility and vantage point of the match.
Good in theory but two practical considerations:
1) Would the PRE hardcore want to sit and pay more?
2) We could lose financially if we are selling tickets to big away crowds which are quite a bit cheaper than they are now. Would potential increased numbers offset this?
Ihearye

Away fans use the Parkands car park a lot and I have never witnessed any issues with the respective fans crossing paths to and from Parklands
Robin
I would hate to move from the C&G end to the Hazelwoods personnaly, also believe the away end doesn't sell beer so I can imagine a lot of people would feel the same given the half time queues on most match days!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 19:33

Away fans use the Parkands car park a lot and I have never witnessed any issues with the respective fans crossing paths to and from Parklands
Usually a good atmosphere when away fans in Parklands as well.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 20:35 I would hate to move from the C&G end to the Hazelwoods personnaly, also believe the away end doesn't sell beer so I can imagine a lot of people would feel the same given the half time queues on most match days!
I think your first point is why it won't, and has never, been really considered. Your second point is very easily remedied to be fair.

Whenever this comes up, and this is far from a criticism Benhall-Robin so please don't take it as such, but it does come up regularly, I'm always reminded of when the club did it about 10-15 years ago, when Powelly and friends were doing the Wymans group. Away fans were given blocks 6,7, and 8 with home fans given the Hazelwoods. Barely 10s of people went in there and it was abandoned as an idea not long after.
Benhall-Robin
Si Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 21:05
Robin wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 20:35 I would hate to move from the C&G end to the Hazelwoods personnaly, also believe the away end doesn't sell beer so I can imagine a lot of people would feel the same given the half time queues on most match days!
I think your first point is why it won't, and has never, been really considered. Your second point is very easily remedied to be fair.

Whenever this comes up, and this is far from a criticism Benhall-Robin so please don't take it as such, but it does come up regularly, I'm always reminded of when the club did it about 10-15 years ago, when Powelly and friends were doing the Wymans group. Away fans were given blocks 6,7, and 8 with home fans given the Hazelwoods. Barely 10s of people went in there and it was abandoned as an idea not long after.
While it does not affect me as I take up a spot in the Paddock it is evident how poor the home atmosphere is.

I may be wrong but when the singing group occupied the stand to the Whaddon Road end I believe the Prestbury Road terrace was still open to home support. Clearly if the latter was not an option it would result in greater numbers moving ends.

It does not directly bother me, but I saw it was a topic of conversation on social media with the majority calling for the switch.
longmover
lets face it there hasn't been much for the crowd to get excited about at WR, let's hope our new signings are the catalyst for a much improved vocal atmosphere at WR.

tbf when things are going well the atmosphere is alright, WR has never been a cauldron of atmosphere anyway.
Shade
longmover wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 14:17 lets face it there hasn't been much for the crowd to get excited about at WR, let's hope our new signings are the catalyst for a much improved vocal atmosphere at WR.

tbf when things are going well the atmosphere is alright, WR has never been a cauldron of atmosphere anyway.
Pfff, not a cauldron of atmosphere? I still remember when we beat Northampton 4-3 with Kettle on the whistle and Devaney gambling on a last minute defensive missed header to win the game, several fans in at least 3 blocks of the In2Print Stand, as was, were singing :lol: Was basically like being at Feyenoord v Ajax, or Fenerbahce v Galatasaray.

(in all honesty, quite a lot of the crowd were singing that night and it still stands out to me as probably the loudest the crowd have been for a sustained period, thanks to the catalyst of Kettle, re-taken penalties, coming back from 3-1 down, and a last minute winner. Last home game of the season v Blackpool in...2003?...as the other, as the PRE sang Red Army non-stop for at least 45 minutes)

These days we get a chant going, get some noise, and it's dead within 20 seconds. I did notice against Derby that the PRE kicked up some noise, but the lads in Block 1 were singing something different instead of joining in with and encouraging them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 14:17 lets face it there hasn't been much for the crowd to get excited about at WR, let's hope our new signings are the catalyst for a much improved vocal atmosphere at WR.

There rarely is anything to get excited about in L1 and L2 as the standard is poor. Sure, Derby this season, and Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Sunderland and AFC Wimbledon last season were exciting, but even then probably only for those who care rather than neutrals.

Unless you really care about the teams and the results I don’t see any appeal in watching lower league football every week. Even most Premier League games are dull; how often do you see a 0-0 bore draw between top sides?

Cup knock out games are different, because the jeopardy and lose-and-your-out pressure makes even a dire 0-0 a nervy affair as both teams hover on the precipice. That’s why end-of-season ‘must wins’ like Doncaster are so gripping and emotional even if the entertainment value is awful.
London Exile
The key is to improve the PRE by raising the roof and increasing the gradient of the terrace so a better view can be enjoyed.
If we had a better home end in terms of acoustics and view then the guys from block 1 might be encouraged to stand in there.

Not sure what ideas the club has in mind for it as they’ve mentioned the river behind and cost/work involved to build a cantilever stand. Personally it wouldn’t bother me if they built a terrace which still had a few roof supports so long as the terrace had a better gradient. I think the number of supports the current roof has could be reduced if that end was redone.

Unfortunately I don’t think the club can afford to do nothing to either PRE or main stand. They are both poor in terms of what they offer at a time when the club need to maximising any revenue they can.
Jerry St Clair
London Exile wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 22:09 The key is to improve the PRE by raising the roof and increasing the gradient of the terrace so a better view can be enjoyed.
If we had a better home end in terms of acoustics and view then the guys from block 1 might be encouraged to stand in there.

Not sure what ideas the club has in mind for it as they’ve mentioned the river behind and cost/work involved to build a cantilever stand. Personally it wouldn’t bother me if they built a terrace which still had a few roof supports so long as the terrace had a better gradient.
100%

The talk of raising the roof bothers me because it's pointless without increasing the gradient of the terrace. I maintain that the Kidderminster away end is the model for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 22:09 The key is to improve the PRE by raising the roof and increasing the gradient of the terrace so a better view can be enjoyed.

Not sure what ideas the club has in mind for it as they’ve mentioned the river behind and cost/work involved to build a cantilever stand. Personally it wouldn’t bother me if they built a terrace which still had a few roof supports so long as the terrace had a better gradient. I think the number of supports the current roof has could be reduced if that end was redone.

Unfortunately I don’t think the club can afford to do nothing to either PRE or main stand. They are both poor in terms of what they offer at a time when the club need to maximising any revenue they can.
Re the river etc, the extreme solution is to buy up the bowling club and the couple houses there and move the whole pitch 20 metres towards Whaddon Rd with a slight rotation towards the car park. That would free up space on all sides of the pitch. Obviously the cost involved to demolish and move and rebuild everything is completely unfeasible and unrealistic.