It’s one year since……

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
…..we beat Wimbledon 3-1 and Duff lamented booing by some fans during the game. I remember being in the PRE and there being lots of discontent about playing out from the back. From Duff’s post match interview with JP:

You made hard work of it though

We weren’t brilliant. I thought we didn’t move the ball. I thought it was quite interesting with about 20 minutes to go, our fans start booing us for keeping the ball, which I disagree with because that five minute spell managed to get them really deep into their half and from that moment they never got out.

So, it wasn’t all sandwiches and picnics under Duffo after all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I remember the game well. Came shortly after our long winless run, and we had had two awful performances away at theirs in cup or league.

Home form had been mixed…revenge on Doncaster but losing at home to Crewe.

I didn’t boo but when we were losing it was so frustrating and disappointing and I thought we were well and truly back in the relegation mire.

I don’t think I have ever wailed and screamed as much as when Lloydy got the goal to put us ahead.
duckers
That may have been the trigger for Duff that it was time to move on with the right opportunity. Around that time I remember him saying, “nothing lasts forever, so enjoy it whilst you can.”

Those fans ought to have been more careful what they wished for. We deliberately passed the ball backwards, on the floor, to draw Wimbledon out. Our patterns of play were more free flowing and entertaining. We scored 3 goals that day.

Fast forward a year, we aren’t able to retain the ball very well and we’ve scored 4 league goals at home in the past 8 games over a 5 month period.
Shade
It was the 19th that we beat Wimbledon. And after that we only won one more game and the performances got progressively worse. 8 games, 1 win, 3 draws, 4 defeats. The draws included that 4-4 with Accrington - probably the worst high scoring draw in football league history, and a 2-2 at home against relegation fodder Gillingham. Defeats included 4-1 at Sheff Weds and that absolutely abysmal 3-0 first half capitulation at Lincoln, which was as bad as anything we have seen this season, imo. Here's hoping we have a stronger end to this season, otherwise we are definitely down with just 6 points from the last 8 games. For what it's worth, I think we'll pick up another 11 points, putting us on 48...

No, it wasn't all sunshine and roses under MD, and the rot set in well before he left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 12:02 It was the 19th that we beat Wimbledon. And after that we only won one more game and the performances got progressively worse. 8 games, 1 win, 3 draws, 4 defeats. The draws included that 4-4 with Accrington - probably the worst high scoring draw in football league history, and a 2-2 at home against relegation fodder Gillingham. Defeats included 4-1 at Sheff Weds and that absolutely abysmal 3-0 first half capitulation at Lincoln, which was as bad as anything we have seen this season, imo. Here's hoping we have a stronger end to this season, otherwise we are definitely down with just 6 points from the last 8 games. For what it's worth, I think we'll pick up another 11 points, putting us on 48...

No, it wasn't all sunshine and roses under MD, and the rot set in well before he left.
Don’t forget the 0-5 at home to Cambridge earlier in the season.
Si Robin
Shade wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 12:02 It was the 19th that we beat Wimbledon. And after that we only won one more game and the performances got progressively worse. 8 games, 1 win, 3 draws, 4 defeats. The draws included that 4-4 with Accrington - probably the worst high scoring draw in football league history, and a 2-2 at home against relegation fodder Gillingham. Defeats included 4-1 at Sheff Weds and that absolutely abysmal 3-0 first half capitulation at Lincoln, which was as bad as anything we have seen this season, imo. Here's hoping we have a stronger end to this season, otherwise we are definitely down with just 6 points from the last 8 games. For what it's worth, I think we'll pick up another 11 points, putting us on 48...

Shhhh......you're not allowed to mention that.
Garby74
It certainly wasn't all sunshine and roses under Duff.

However I had made up my mind a lot earlier in the season we were playing well enough ....often enough to stay up.

I would like to think we are nearly over the line this season. But cannot relax yet.

Let's get behind the team for the final push.

Then debate the season. (Was going to put highs and lows...but can't remember any highs. Exeter away...1.0...but we were God awful first half! )
Si Robin
Bolton at home is probably up there
QED
That period that got the crowd on the team’s back was actually a masterclass in how to frustrate an opponent into breaking their rhythm. Wimbledon had come for the 1-0 and were happy sitting in, so we just played keep ball for 3-4 mins, playing it sideways and back, probing with the wing backs then coming back to the centre backs. We were trying to lure them out of their shape but every time we played it backwards you could hear the Paddock and PRE…

It worked though - a better team would have let us get on with it and kept tight but they began pushing up thinking they might have a chance of winning it high up and getting a second… they lost their shape, we had the kid from Villa pushing on with Callum, and that’s where the goals came from.
little mo
QED wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 09:32 That period that got the crowd on the team’s back was actually a masterclass in how to frustrate an opponent into breaking their rhythm. Wimbledon had come for the 1-0 and were happy sitting in, so we just played keep ball for 3-4 mins, playing it sideways and back, probing with the wing backs then coming back to the centre backs. We were trying to lure them out of their shape but every time we played it backwards you could hear the Paddock and PRE…

It worked though - a better team would have let us get on with it and kept tight but they began pushing up thinking they might have a chance of winning it high up and getting a second… they lost their shape, we had the kid from Villa pushing on with Callum, and that’s where the goals came from.
Correct
Jerry St Clair
QED wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 09:32 That period that got the crowd on the team’s back was actually a masterclass in how to frustrate an opponent into breaking their rhythm. Wimbledon had come for the 1-0 and were happy sitting in, so we just played keep ball for 3-4 mins, playing it sideways and back, probing with the wing backs then coming back to the centre backs. We were trying to lure them out of their shape but every time we played it backwards you could hear the Paddock and PRE…

I remember the point where the booing started very clearly. We were losing 1-0, had been playing as you describe and we got a goal kick. Owen Evans put the ball down and Pollock and (I think) Long started making their way into the penalty area to receive a short pass. The PRE howled with derision, and Owen Evans caved in and waved them forward and hit it long.

I wonder if that was the moment Duff decided to release Evans.