Wade Elliott after the win at Peterborough

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
asl
I've just enquired after the "Wade Out" boys on Facebook. I'm starting to get worried...

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

triggo
Funny, haven't seen them either :D
longmover
thing is the ability to perform like this has always been there just very frustrating that its taken this long to see it since the first game of this season (the first half anyway)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 10:21 thing is the ability to perform like this has always been there just very frustrating that its taken this long to see it since the first game of this season (the first half anyway)
I think being plagued by injuries has been a real disruption.

Having a close to full squad means players can train harder and play with more intensity. Eg had we not had Williams then Ferry would have had to struggle to the end, with consequences for next week’s training and match. Same with being able to take off Broom and Bonds when on yellows and being able to bring on Rea rather than Barkers.

And at times the injuries have coincided with runs of games against the Championship-bound sides.

As Wade has said in the last few interviews, we have to go full tilt for our game to work. So I think it is fair to say if lack of squad depth means the eleven physically and mentally cannot go full tilt then we struggle.

Our pressing against Peterborough was fantastic, but couldn’t have been so intense without quality options lined up on the bench.
shevates
May, Keena, Broom, and Bonds pressed if there lives depended, they forced them i to so many errors, fantastic effort
paperboy
shevates wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 11:45 May, Keena, Broom, and Bonds pressed if there lives depended, they forced them i to so many errors, fantastic effort

Yes, pressing higher up the pitch rather than protecting a lead by dropping deeper paid dividends.
When we started with such intensity, I didn't think we could sustain that for 95 minutes.
Holding my hands up for being wrong again.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 11:07
longmover wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 10:21 thing is the ability to perform like this has always been there just very frustrating that its taken this long to see it since the first game of this season (the first half anyway)
I think being plagued by injuries has been a real disruption.

Having a close to full squad means players can train harder and play with more intensity. Eg had we not had Williams then Ferry would have had to struggle to the end, with consequences for next week’s training and match. Same with being able to take off Broom and Bonds when on yellows and being able to bring on Rea rather than Barkers.

And at times the injuries have coincided with runs of games against the Championship-bound sides.

As Wade has said in the last few interviews, we have to go full tilt for our game to work. So I think it is fair to say if lack of squad depth means the eleven physically and mentally cannot go full tilt then we struggle.

Our pressing against Peterborough was fantastic, but couldn’t have been so intense without quality options lined up on the bench.
yes on all counts
Shade
It's all good and well saying the pressing worked, etc, but if Alfie's one in a million second goal had been tipped over/wide or had just not been on target, it could have been a different game entirely. As it was, getting that long-awaited two-goal lead I think gave the team enough of a boost to keep their heads up and fighting and, after smashing the bar as well, you could almost see Peterborough's players thinking it was going to be our day and not theirs. We did drop deeper at times, didn't press for the full 90 minutes - but Peterborough looked a beaten side already. Their defence was shocking, but they have always been a high scoring, high conceding side. Lose 5-0 to Bolton and Fleetwood 1-0 one week, beat Plymouth 5-2 the next.

Next week, everything Alfie hits could go over, wide, or straight to the keeper again, as it has many times - including very recently. Just saying. Trying to keep a level head. We can't rely on wonder goals every week and in reflection...did we actually create all that much on Saturday?
plymrob
Happily, we created a win and three points... at a tough to go place. I, for one, feel re-enthused.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 14:46 It's all good and well saying the pressing worked, etc, but if Alfie's one in a million second goal had been tipped over/wide or had just not been on target, it could have been a different game entirely. As it was, getting that long-awaited two-goal lead I think gave the team enough of a boost to keep their heads up and fighting and, after smashing the bar as well, you could almost see Peterborough's players thinking it was going to be our day and not theirs. We did drop deeper at times, didn't press for the full 90 minutes - but Peterborough looked a beaten side already. Their defence was shocking, but they have always been a high scoring, high conceding side. Lose 5-0 to Bolton and Fleetwood 1-0 one week, beat Plymouth 5-2 the next.

Next week, everything Alfie hits could go over, wide, or straight to the keeper again, as it has many times - including very recently. Just saying. Trying to keep a level head. We can't rely on wonder goals every week and in reflection...did we actually create all that much on Saturday?
It was a freak one indeed and I think if any of our defenders had headed that clearance out, that set Alfie up for his second, we would be roasting him. But not complaining and hope fro more of the same
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 14:46 It's all good and well saying the pressing worked, etc, but if Alfie's one in a million second goal had been tipped over/wide or had just not been on target, it could have been a different game entirely. As it was, getting that long-awaited two-goal lead I think gave the team enough of a boost to keep their heads up and fighting and, after smashing the bar as well, you could almost see Peterborough's players thinking it was going to be our day and not theirs. We did drop deeper at times, didn't press for the full 90 minutes - but Peterborough looked a beaten side already. Their defence was shocking, but they have always been a high scoring, high conceding side. Lose 5-0 to Bolton and Fleetwood 1-0 one week, beat Plymouth 5-2 the next.

10 shots, 6 on target for us at Peterborough.

In contrast, home vs Fleetwood was 18 shots, 4 on target, Cambridge away was 12 shots, 3 on target.

And the most creative game recently, in terms of shots on target was Accrington at home with 17 shots, 7 on target.

Some games like Accrington we will forever wonder how we didn’t score, and some games will go like Saturday did. Over the course of the season we hope everything averages out, and that hard work pays us back as Duff/Wade say.

If we keep creating 5+ shots on target a game we should be fine, even if some end up 0-0 and some 3-0.

Totally agree with you about not getting too down and not getting too high. Same way the fans having a meltdown when we weren’t winning were best ignored, it is daft to think we have suddenly become amazing.