Cheltenham Town v Birmingham City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/BirminghamCityH
1985CTFC
Looks like quite a few first teamers going to be missing for Brum. 2 or 3 injuries. Got a chance for the win?
Does it go straight to pens if draw after 100+ mins?
1985CTFC
Cheltenham Town (3-4-2-1): Southwood; Long, Davies, Freestone; Smith, Chapman, Thompson, Williams; Olayinka, Hammond; Street.
Slight change in formation. No Keena...messed up my prediction!!!

We could play 6 in midfield!! I mentioned yesterday I'd like to see what happens if a team play 6 in midfield. It is as near as you can get but depends on a few things of course.
Last edited by 1985CTFC on 08 Aug 2023, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
1985CTFC wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:48 Cheltenham Town (3-4-2-1): Southwood; Long, Davies, Freestone; Smith, Chapman, Thompson, Williams; Olayinka, Hammond; Street.
You can change it up til kick off
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:50
1985CTFC wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:48 Cheltenham Town (3-4-2-1): Southwood; Long, Davies, Freestone; Smith, Chapman, Thompson, Williams; Olayinka, Hammond; Street.
You can change it up til kick off
ok thanks
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Makes sense, as Keena is not a one-up-top player. (Assuming we aren’t just making sure he isn’t cup tied before the big offers arrive in Jan.)

Closer to the dream 4-3-3!
Fuller
Zero shots by us? Playing one up front at home not ideal.
Think I heard Chapman’s name mentioned once on the commentary.
1985CTFC
My feel good factor is starting to evaporate.
Anteros
That was as one sided as you are going to get.
Robin
First two performances have been a tough watch, Rusty Milton needs to prove himself over the next few weeks and bring in players to improve us in the attacking third otherwise it's going to be a long season.
Jim
Robin wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 21:22 First two performances have been a tough watch, Rusty Milton needs to prove himself over the next few weeks and bring in players to improve us in the attacking third otherwise it's going to be a long season.
A centre back with pace needed too I'd say. Curtis Davies wasn't particularly convincing. Only positive was Hammond looked lively at times, certainly better than most of our midfield.
Garby74
Entertaining Game.
Birmingham are a good team who have bought a few good players.

I thought the goal was against the run of play actually.

Players didn't really look like they believed after the first went in.

Second goal finished the tie ...and and unlucky as Luke had made a super stop for the first.

A few positives for me:
Super Luke - great game
Freestone and Long solid
Oli looked sharp ...a little calum wright about him.
Street looks like he can handle himself
Adshead played well

Same old problems:
Williams wasn't awful...but he's no Ferry
Chapman went missing apart from when he stuck one on one of the brum lads (horay..but let's have from the get go)
Curtis not mobile enough imo. Bradburys time has come.

No need for panic stations by any means.

They put in a shift against a good side. They lost... that happens.
Robin
I agree about missing pace at the back but Davies gave me more confidence than Bradbury does back there in terms of organisation and leadership. Freestone, Hammond, Smith and Southwood the ones who impressed me tonight. Cannot fault the effort of either Keena or Street but there is something missing up top right now either supply or pace and Olayinka is also not the answer.
everyman
We seem to have 3 managers shouting orders from the dug-out,doesn`t Wade want to accept ownership of this group of players, a slight concern if that`s the case.
Broadway Brian
Funny how we see the games differently.

Having been our best player on Saturday, I thought Smith was atrocious today, and I’d be surprised if he didn’t say the same himself.

The OG was unfortunate but on at least 3 occasions he let the ball run under his foot and out of play. A shocking first half.

I didn’t realise Olayinka was playing until just before half-time. The play always breaks down when he has it. He plays with his head down too much. He was poor too on Saturday.

Hopefully he picks up as we need him.

Thought Thompson looked better than he did on Saturday, Hammond huffed and puffed and Lewis was solid, but we need Ferry back and need to string some patterns and phases of play together to lift the confidence.

UTR
Warwickshire Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 22:22 Funny how we see the games differently.

Having been our best player on Saturday, I thought Smith was atrocious today, and I’d be surprised if he didn’t say the same himself.

The OG was unfortunate but on at least 3 occasions he let the ball run under his foot and out of play. A shocking first half.
I think Smith being 'atrocious' is a bit harsh, he definitely wasn't as good as Saturday though and you are right about the mis controlling of the ball. I thought the first touch of a lot our our players was poor last night especially when compared the the Blues players who all seemed to just bring the ball under control instantly whereas ours needed a couple of touches which they weren't allowed as they were shut down immediately.

Southwood was outstanding, Freestone solid, Thompson looks like he will be a good player for us when up to full fitness, Hammond worked hard but looked like a player not used to that level of opposition which is understandable. Street looks like he could be a handful given some service but is feeding off less than scraps so far.

Aiden looks a bit off at the moment, we desperately need him to come good, is he trying too hard to be Alfie or just getting frustrated with a lack of chances? Chapman did his cause no good at all and was largely anonymous and Olayinka offered not much either.
CS85
Smith getting abit of criticism but my god williams was terrible,similar mis controlled balls and going out of play,clearances pinging off in all directions.we need ferry back fit and staying fit asap.

I've mentioned before on here about Davies and he's still got loads of time to prove me wrong,but I'm sorry he's a mistake waiting to happen, ball gets stuck under his feet,players running past him like he's not there. Look at him chopping down that player for the free kick that went in 🤣.
Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 22:22 Funny how we see the games differently.

I didn’t realise Olayinka was playing until just before half-time. The play always breaks down when he has it. He plays with his head down too much. He was poor too on Saturday.

Hopefully he picks up as we need him.

Thought Thompson looked better than he did on Saturday, Hammond huffed and puffed and Lewis was solid, but we need Ferry back and need to string some patterns and phases of play together to lift the confidence.

UTR
This may sound harsh but I don't see enough in Olayinka to justify him starting for us. For me Williams and Olayinka were the biggest weak links yesterday.
Broadway Brian
CS85 wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 08:04 Smith getting abit of criticism but my god williams was terrible,similar mis controlled balls and going out of play,clearances pinging off in all directions.we need ferry back fit and staying fit asap.

I've mentioned before on here about Davies and he's still got loads of time to prove me wrong,but I'm sorry he's a mistake waiting to happen, ball gets stuck under his feet,players running past him like he's not there. Look at him chopping down that player for the free kick that went in 🤣.
Can’t disagree re Williams. His confidence abandoned him after the gaffe on Saturday and appears to still be missing. Needs something to boost him.

Davies is an interesting one. He can’t play the Caleb role as he isn’t comfortable on the ball - he didn’t play it for Derby. He’s also going to struggle v pace.

But late on yesterday, they had some promising attacks where Davies was the key reason they didn’t score due to his positional sense and knowing when / when not to commit.

So, ultimately what we all knew. 38 years old with tonnes of experience. The experience will be a positive, the lack of legs likely a negative at times. Which will we see more of over the course of the season?
Fuller
We’ve got no real pace at the back, teams will exploit this. Just watched last night’s highlights and on the the two minutes they showed it appeared almost non stop one on one saves from Southwood.
Olyinka presumably is taking the Ryan Broom role but I wasn’t too impressed what I saw of him of last season.
So we need a centre half with pace, an attacking midfielder who will create, and two forwards. Go to it Russ.
Warwickshire Robin
Also on last night, note to CTFC decision makers - if in future we play 'bigger' clubs at home in any competition DO NOT remove a part of the home advantage by closing the PRE!

In a game where the players needed all the help they could get from vocal support from the terraces the decision not to open the PRE was a disaster. Block 1 tried a few times but with everyone else so far away nothing got going and it was like a friendly atmosphere at best, library at worst.

Totally understand the decision in the Pizza Cup or playing clubs with small followings but what other club would remove a big part of their advantage of being at home in a competitive game by closing the 'home' end?? Baffling!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 10:30 Also on last night, note to CTFC decision makers - if in future we play 'bigger' clubs at home in any competition DO NOT remove a part of the home advantage by closing the PRE!

In a game where the players needed all the help they could get from vocal support from the terraces the decision not to open the PRE was a disaster. Block 1 tried a few times but with everyone else so far away nothing got going and it was like a friendly atmosphere at best, library at worst.

Totally understand the decision in the Pizza Cup or playing clubs with small followings but what other club would remove a big part of their advantage of being at home in a competitive game by closing the 'home' end?? Baffling!
Can’t really hear C&G from elsewhere in the ground/across pitch anyway.

It’s the Block One boys making all of the noise.
CS85
Club missed a trick to cash in last night imo,apparently brum sold the 1500 in 2 hours,should have given them half the Colin farmer,take it to 2000 away fans and have the terrace open as usual.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 10:34
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 10:30 Also on last night, note to CTFC decision makers - if in future we play 'bigger' clubs at home in any competition DO NOT remove a part of the home advantage by closing the PRE!

It can get noisy enough in there. You are right Block 1 lead, but in the right circumstances the PRE can build up a head of steam especially in those night games under the lights. I guess that low roof keeps the noise in rather than projects it out so it suppresses the noise to the rest of the ground. Just another reason for redevelopment of the ground!
Robin
Agree about last night why close the home end and leave areas like the Paddock open? Could have given that to Brum and sold more tickets whilst making the atmosphere a bit more lively.
Si Robin

As I understand it, we share stewards with FGR, so were unable to open the whole ground as there wasn't enough according to the safety certificate (Shevates might no more on this as I'm sure he used to have a role in that). It makes sense for the PRE to be closed rather than any other part of the ground due to the entrances being at the back and out of the way.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:13

As I understand it, we share stewards with FGR, so were unable to open the whole ground as there wasn't enough according to the safety certificate (Shevates might no more on this as I'm sure he used to have a role in that). It makes sense for the PRE to be closed rather than any other part of the ground due to the entrances being at the back and out of the way.
Thanks Si, that explains it then I guess but then raises the question why did both teams have to play at home on the same night? There are Cup games going on this evening as well so surely not beyond the whit of man to change one of the fixtures to tonight instead? Not sure what other industry would be reducing it's earning potential in this way?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:01
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 10:34

It can get noisy enough in there. You are right Block 1 lead, but in the right circumstances the PRE can build up a head of steam especially in those night games under the lights. I guess that low roof keeps the noise in rather than projects it out so it suppresses the noise to the rest of the ground. Just another reason for redevelopment of the ground!
I didn’t say it doesn’t get noisy in there, I know it gets very noisy.

Just that it is not very audible around the ground, as you say due to the roof.

Unfortunately I think we can forget ground redevelopment unless a miracle happens.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:20
Si Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:13

Thanks Si, that explains it then I guess but then raises the question why did both teams have to play at home on the same night? There are Cup games going on this evening as well so surely not beyond the whit of man to change one of the fixtures to tonight instead? Not sure what other industry would be reducing it's earning potential in this way?!
Opposition may have to agree to change?
horlickfanclub
CS85 wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 10:39 Club missed a trick to cash in last night imo,apparently brum sold the 1500 in 2 hours,should have given them half the Colin farmer,take it to 2000 away fans and have the terrace open as usual.
Season ticket holders booked their seats in the CF and would not want to be moved . As has been said before on here it was a stewarding issue.
Wellwisher
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:46
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 11:20 why did both teams have to play at home on the same night? There are Cup games going on this evening as well so surely not beyond the whit of man to change one of the fixtures to tonight instead? Not sure what other industry would be reducing it's earning potential in this way?!
Opposition may have to agree to change?
The EFL should have the power to instruct them, at least should they have a good reason, like this one. I mean, with Brum playing at home on Sat.12th and in Bristol on Sat.19th, what difference should it make to them whether their midweek game in between was Tues or Wed?