Wade Elliott after Exeter defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Uppy
It’s time. He’s been unlucky and he wasn’t helped by the sale of his best player for less than he’s worth but I don’t see any way it turns round with him at the helm unfortunately. We’re limping on
Ralph
I don't see any other managers who will be any better right now. He took us to our highest position last season. Is it the players? I don't get it that we can change like this from last season to this. The board need to take the blame for letting Alfie go literally for free compared to his actual worth. I really wish Andy Wilcox had been allowed to take over the club if what you hear was true
Si Robin
Wade didn't take us to our highest position, Duff did.

Wilcox was a snake oil salesman. He invested extremely little in the club and simply wanted to spend other people's money.

I agree that the board shafted the May deal.
Malabus
Ralph wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 17:58 He took us to our highest position last season.
Incorrect.
London Exile
I can’t see how Wade survives in the role now. Whoever is in charge it’ll always be an uphill battle with the club structure and resource but the manner of defeats, the drab tactics, it’s not attractive and I’m seeing a lot of the most ardent supporters saying enough is enough.
I don’t think this is solely on Wade, I think there are deep rooted issues from the boardroom down the the coaches. A lot of changes need to happen
Lord Elpuz
Ralph wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 17:58 I don't see any other managers who will be any better right now. He took us to our highest position last season. Is it the players? I don't get it that we can change like this from last season to this. The board need to take the blame for letting Alfie go literally for free compared to his actual worth. I really wish Andy Wilcox had been allowed to take over the club if what you hear was true
CTFCs loss is Charlton Athletic’s gain? He’s not in the top 17 of League One strikers this season (BBC Sport stats) and he didn’t play today - assume injured? Charlton currently 17th with only 7 points, just 6 ahead of the basket case Clubs. Would we have faired any better than Charlton with a disgruntled striker we’d refused to sell, that no one other than Charlton offered to buy? Fans typically look to try and find a single reason for what appears to have gone wrong when a Club struggles, for Cheltenham, fans are blaming the Board for Alfie going. I think the evidence is there that Alfie wouldn’t have made any difference this season.

I feel for Wade Elliott, he did an amazing job last season keeping us up. The loss of Mickey Moore and the Analyst this summer were a body blow, but also football tactics move on every year - Elliott has stayed faithful to a ‘process’ that worked for Cheltenham over the past 3 seasons, but every other club has worked that out now. It’s why football managers generally don’t last long in their jobs.
Broadway Brian
Deary me - comfortable apart from a 10 minute spell? Make no mistake, that was a 1-0 drubbing.

An honest narrative would be welcome for once.

Same as the Barnsley keeper did not have “the game of his life” - nonsense comments to mask reality.

I hate spin.
Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:00 Deary me - comfortable apart from a 10 minute spell? Make no mistake, that was a 1-0 drubbing.

Same as the Barnsley keeper did not have “the game of his life” - nonsense comments to mask reality.

I hate spin.
The Barnsley keep did make 2 or 3 great saves that had goal written all over them
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 18:52
Ralph wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 17:58 I don't see any other managers who will be any better right now. He took us to our highest position last season. Is it the players? I don't get it that we can change like this from last season to this. The board need to take the blame for letting Alfie go literally for free compared to his actual worth. I really wish Andy Wilcox had been allowed to take over the club if what you hear was true
CTFCs loss is Charlton Athletic’s gain? He’s not in the top 17 of League One strikers this season (BBC Sport stats) and he didn’t play today - assume injured? Charlton currently 17th with only 7 points, just 6 ahead of the basket case Clubs. Would we have faired any better than Charlton with a disgruntled striker we’d refused to sell, that no one other than Charlton offered to buy? Fans typically look to try and find a single reason for what appears to have gone wrong when a Club struggles, for Cheltenham, fans are blaming the Board for Alfie going. I think the evidence is there that Alfie wouldn’t have made any difference this season.

I feel for Wade Elliott, he did an amazing job last season keeping us up. The loss of Mickey Moore and the Analyst this summer were a body blow, but also football tactics move on every year - Elliott has stayed faithful to a ‘process’ that worked for Cheltenham over the past 3 seasons, but every other club has worked that out now. It’s why football managers generally don’t last long in their jobs.
Charlton or anyone else didn't have to offer more. The club made it known how much they would accept and May made it known where he was going to agree to go. It was a shambles from start to finish, some said it was a good price for a player his age, then similar get sold for a lot more. Go figure
asl
I'm not yet of the opinion that WE should be sacked. I cannot, however, offer a ringing endorsement that he should stay. I don't think a change of manager will necessarily change our fortunes - but is that a good enough reason to spin the wheel and see if a new manager would be better or worse?
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:16
Lord Elpuz wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 18:52

Charlton or anyone else didn't have to offer more. The club made it known how much they would accept and May made it known where he was going to agree to go. It was a shambles from start to finish, some said it was a good price for a player his age, then similar get sold for a lot more. Go figure
What will success look like for Charlton this season? Staying in League 1, or getting to the play-offs or higher? Either way, there is pressure on Alfie to deliver.

At the moment he’s not setting the top goal scorer stats on fire, he’s not even made the table. The end of the season will prove whether the sale of Alfie for c£250k was good business or not - either for Cheltenham or Charlton. He had a fabulous time at Cheltenham where he was very happy and the expectations on him never translated into personal pressure.

Things could be very different at Charlton, with a big club mentality, fans wanting to rekindle the glory days and they will have greater expectations. Because of Alfie’s age, whichever way you look at it, he’s a stop-gap striker - - - if Charlton make it back into the Championship, will Alfie realistically represent their future? Player happiness translates into performance, so for Alfie’s sake, I hope he remains happy.
kags
Watching the video interview, there is a bit in the middle part where it's clear this is the end of the road for Wade. Makes little sense and performances (which have been poor bar maybe one game) have matched results. Also obvious that he and Kevin Russell are 'coaches' and not managers, and mostly in the U21's set ups where development is the focus.
A couple of bizarre team selections today and we lack any kind of press, therefore possession was about 70/30 at best until Exeter scored.
Similar fare all season, I am bored of watching us be so passive and not 'having a go'. Probably why we haven't scored yet!
Realistically as this is Ctfc, they will get 2 more games and both gone after Stevenage.
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:13
Broadway Brian wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:00 Deary me - comfortable apart from a 10 minute spell? Make no mistake, that was a 1-0 drubbing.

I hate spin.
The Barnsley keep did make 2 or 3 great saves that had goal written all over them
Made some good saves - no more than that.
Jerry St Clair
kags wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:59 Watching the video interview, there is a bit in the middle part where it's clear this is the end of the road for Wade.
About 6 minutes in. He pauses for 5 seconds. You can see it in his eyes. The game is up.
Joey
The way everything from the Alfie May deal, to the handling of Moore's departure and the summer recruitment has felt very much below par. While we should be doing much better, and scoring 0 goals is inexcusable, WE has been dealt a rough hand and unfortunately we have a board who will be happy with us sitting mid-table in L2.

We are currently on par or below clubs who are dealing with owners who have been sent to jail or fleeced their clubs, and it's difficult to see how replacing WE will sort any of this while we're stuck with short-sighted decision making from above.
Swiss-Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 21:42
kags wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:59 Watching the video interview, there is a bit in the middle part where it's clear this is the end of the road for Wade.
About 6 minutes in. He pauses for 5 seconds. You can see it in his eyes. The game is up.
Poor guy looks punch-drunk :-(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swiss-Robin wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 21:57
I remember how much older, drained and unwell Downing looked come the end of his time compared to when he started.

I have to say that Wade was looking the same. Bags under his puffy eyes and complexion not vibrant; a sure sign of long-hours at work and sleepless nights.
Ralph
Huw Jenkins that was chairman at Swansea for years and got them up to the Prem is now looking to be part of a takeover at Newport. More lower league teams are getting investment. Makes it harder for CTFC
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 23:20

I remember how much older, drained and unwell Downing looked come the end of his time compared to when he started.

I have to say that Wade was looking the same. Bags under his puffy eyes and complexion not vibrant; a sure sign of long-hours at work and sleepless nights.
Even if a small % of this is visible, then it is now that he needs our support and backing the most. How often do you have to tell an adult where he is meant to be on the pitch, before he actually goes and does it?
Give the man a break and the peace of mind to get this rabble functioning
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 06:49

Even if a small % of this is visible, then it is now that he needs our support and backing the most. How often do you have to tell an adult where he is meant to be on the pitch, before he actually goes and does it?
Don’t need to tell me that. I back him and want him to succeed.
slinky_dog
We know we’re a team which, at best, will wobble between league one and two. That’s not wishing to throw the towel in, but the next direction of travel was highly likely to be downwards, albeit it would be nice to go down with some fight.

In terms of assessing whether WE is the right man for the job, I personally would give less focus on the current results and place more focus on his performance behind the scenes. It’s difficult for a fan to judge that, but that is what the Board is there for.

If he’s a good manager with a bad run of luck and at a time where the club is bedding down a new back room team, then stick with him. He may be the right manager, even if that is soon to be league 2.

The Board may already have concerns about his broader capabilities in which case they might as well act sooner.

Typically in football, clubs lurch from one failed manager to the next. Remembering when we were top of the league at the end of August and then relegated out of the league 9 months and 3 managers later!
Ihearye
slinky_dog wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 07:52 We know we’re a team which, at best, will wobble between league one and two. That’s not wishing to throw the towel in, but the next direction of travel was highly likely to be downwards, albeit it would be nice to go down with some fight.

In terms of assessing whether WE is the right man for the job, I personally would give less focus on the current results and place more focus on his performance behind the scenes. It’s difficult for a fan to judge that, but that is what the Board is there for.

If he’s a good manager with a bad run of luck and at a time where the club is bedding down a new back room team, then stick with him. He may be the right manager, even if that is soon to be league 2.

The Board may already have concerns about his broader capabilities in which case they might as well act sooner.

Typically in football, clubs lurch from one failed manager to the next. Remembering when we were top of the league at the end of August and then relegated out of the league 9 months and 3 managers later!
While I have confidence that the board can run a tight fiscal administration, I do have my doubts on their football knowledge :)
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 07:23
Ihearye wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 06:49

Don’t need to tell me that. I back him and want him to succeed.
:)
paperboy
Pre -season Nesters thought that 8 points after 10 games would be a reasonable start.

Still achievable, but unlikely.

It was thought that Aiden would be our main source of goals, but men on Mars is looking more likely, unless he's like Alfie and gets his goals post -xmas.
Lack of back up strikers has been addressed in numbers at least.
Our first choice midfielders of Sercs, Bonds, Thomson and Olayinka have been hit with injuries and yesterday we could only get 90 minutes out of one of them so not too surprising that we parked the bus.

It's really tough being a supporter at the moment, but sack the manager after 7 games? Really?

The booing and social media onslaught after yesterday's match was understandable,but was it helpful in any way?

I know it's really tough to take, but we need to stay behind the players, board and coaches and not be just fair weather fans.
Let Wade get his first choice eleven, injuries permitting, on the pitch in the next few weeks and then the board can re assess matters.
Alf

It was Alfie May that took us to that position last season. If he was still here we wouldn’t be floundering around at the bottom of the league.
Si Robin
Look, no-one's disputing how important Alfie was for us last season, but this belief that he single-handedly carried us to 17th last season is balls I'm afraid.

I daresay the 16 clean-sheets had something to do with it, and I don't recall Alfie doing much in defence last season.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:30 Look, no-one's disputing how important Alfie was for us last season, but this belief that he single-handedly carried us to 17th last season is balls I'm afraid.

I daresay the 16 clean-sheets had something to do with it, and I don't recall Alfie doing much in defence last season.
totally
Fuller
asl
Wow... Unsworth sounds an amazing step up from WE...
robinsrule
paperboy wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 08:53 Pre -season Nesters thought that 8 points after 10 games would be a reasonable start.

Still achievable, but unlikely.

It was thought that Aiden would be our main source of goals, but men on Mars is looking more likely, unless he's like Alfie and gets his goals post -xmas.
Lack of back up strikers has been addressed in numbers at least.
Our first choice midfielders of Sercs, Bonds, Thomson and Olayinka have been hit with injuries and yesterday we could only get 90 minutes out of one of them so not too surprising that we parked the bus.

It's really tough being a supporter at the moment, but sack the manager after 7 games? Really?

The booing and social media onslaught after yesterday's match was understandable,but was it helpful in any way?

I know it's really tough to take, but we need to stay behind the players, board and coaches and not be just fair weather fans.
Let Wade get his first choice eleven, injuries permitting, on the pitch in the next few weeks and then the board can re assess matters.
But we simply don’t have the luxury of time. We are already two wins from safety and at our current rate we will achieve those wins…. never! How many points do we have to be adrift before action is taken? I get your point that Wade deserves time after last season but if the board feel like he is not going to turn it around then the writing’s on the wall. Like almost everyone else here I desperately want us to win the next two games and the pressure would then be eased massively on everyone. Does even the most ardent optimist believe that is going to happen?

For me there are only two questions that need answering: Is there another manager out there who can get more out of the squad in its current injury- and confidence-depleted state? And how much does the board want us to stay in League One?
Warwickshire Robin
asl wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 11:46 Wow... Unsworth sounds an amazing step up from WE...
If you listen to a podcast called the Famous Sloping Pitch with Nick Hancock and Chris England, who is an Oldham fan, you may have a different opinion on that!

Unless of course I completely missed the irony in that statement on first read! In which case I agree!!
Ladyrobin
After listening to Wade’s earlier match reports I nicknamed him “Wishy Washy Wade”. He was so indecisive. Yesterday after watching the match at Exeter I hoped he would be factual and straightforward. He wasn’t. He just doesn’t seem to see the matches as the fans witness. But above all yesterday I felt sorry for him. He looked so lost and defeated and it’s time for the Board to put him out of his misery.
”.
Ihearye
Ladyrobin wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 16:43 After listening to Wade’s earlier match reports I nicknamed him “Wishy Washy Wade”. He was so indecisive. Yesterday after watching the match at Exeter I hoped he would be factual and straightforward. He wasn’t. He just doesn’t seem to see the matches as the fans witness. But above all yesterday I felt sorry for him. He looked so lost and defeated and it’s time for the Board to put him out of his misery.
”.
I wish they would put us out of our misery and get decent prices for players and invest in the club. Why are they shareholders, on the board etc if they don't want to invest and grow the club? They should be honest with us and let us know, L2 is our target and with a bit of luck a couple of years in L1. The supporters want more, but we won't get it so no point in blaming WE
asl
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 16:01
asl wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 11:46 Wow... Unsworth sounds an amazing step up from WE...
If you listen to a podcast called the Famous Sloping Pitch with Nick Hancock and Chris England, who is an Oldham fan, you may have a different opinion on that!

Unless of course I completely missed the irony in that statement on first read! In which case I agree!!
I can assure you that my comment was heavily laced with sarcasm...

(Thought I was better known on this board...)