Nine years ago today......

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Paul Buckle was appointed as manager.
Si Robin
It was the 26th November, not 29th.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2014/november ... -manager-/
PCrobin
Just felt a cold shiver. I know things are fairly bad at the moment but at least they're not THAT bad...!
asl
Didn't he have a blazing row with Lee Ridley and forced him to remain on the coach at an away game? Southend, maybe?

Yea, all the idiots on Facebook calling for Wade's head last season clearly hadn't lived through Buckle's tenure.
Si Robin
Lee Vaughan at Southend.

I put on Facebook the day he was appointed - Good luck Paul Buckle, you're going to need it with our fickle fanbase - It haunts me every year on the memories part of the Facebook app.

I remember we got a decent draw with Luton under him and in the Parklands after the game I spoke to a couple of their fans. They warned me about how bad things would get under him, but I put it down to them being annoyed that the mighty Luton couldn't destroy little Cheltenham (we do have a great record against them by the way). Oh how right they were though!!
Anteros
Apart from the results what else was wrong with him? The impression I am getting is that he wasn't a nice character?
shevates
I was kit man then, not a nice time to be involved at the club
Jerry St Clair
That interview with James Brown after the Southend game looking forward to the Bury game on the Saturday. He’d been told he was being sacked and they were just sorting out the legals. JB knew it too so the interview was a complete charade. Surreal.
Ralph
His wife is one of the main Premier League presenters on TV over here in the US. Every week i see her and wonder what made her want to marry him and then have kids with him
Fuller
If I recall correctly pressure was building on Yatesy, Buckle was identified as a being available by the board, Yates was sacked and Buckle was appointed with no one else interviewed.
What was the name of his minder who was always at shoulder? Not meaning Rob Edwards, who was Buckle’s short term assistant.
bigdavejambo
Fuller wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 10:31 If I recall correctly pressure was building on Yatesy, Buckle was identified as a being available by the board, Yates was sacked and Buckle was appointed with no one else interviewed.
What was the name of his minder who was always at shoulder? Not meaning Rob Edwards, who was Buckle’s short term assistant.
Shaun North?
Si Robin
Shaun North was the assistant brought in that summer to replace Neil Howarth.

I think Fuller means the bloke who called himself the Chief Scout, who's name also escapes me...I'll find it though.

EDIT: John Milton was his name.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 21:28 Shaun North was the assistant brought in that summer to replace Neil Howarth.

I think Fuller means the bloke who called himself the Chief Scout, who's name also escapes me...I'll find it though.

John “no relation” Milton?
Si Robin
I can't imagine they were related.

I'm not sure Russ ever looked as menacing :D
Artemis
Si Robin wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 21:28 Shaun North was the assistant brought in that summer to replace Neil Howarth.

Shaun North is currently the kit manager at Portsmouth.