Forwards and scoring goals

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
I think we all agree we need to score goals if we are to stay up. Nothing new there.
With 9 games coming up and almost a game Tuesday and Saturday with an odd exception, I do fear what we would do if both LLoydy and Aiden pick up injuries playing as much as they probably will. More worried with LLoyd with regard to an injury because of the way he plays. But you never can tell how they can pick up an injury. Look at Street, was nothing in it.
Joe Nuttal is going to have to play a big part if fit, especially if the one of the other 2 get a knock etc. We need to get behind Joe and encourage not disparage.
Personally I would like to see Jordan have a go upfront using his trickery in and around the box. Scored goals in the lower league. Hopefully Matty may help out in the later stages.
Acknowledge we will start games 3 4 1 2 subject to injuries. But as the games tick over and the need to win becomes now or never I just hope when Lloyd and Aiden are replaced we have plenty of options and formation changes lined up.
Hence giving Jordan a chance up top at the tail end of a game and see how he does. Saves a midfield space for Harrop or Slogget to fill.

Hopefully we won't have any of these worries if we beat Fleetwood and Exeter.
Fleetwood is going to be one hell of a tough game. They will fancy their chances and see a way out of bottom 4 with a win.
Shade
If George and Aidan don't start scoring very soon then I can see Davies or Bradbury going up front earlier in games (or maybe even from the start) to at least cause some mayhem, if nothing else, with balls flicked on and knocked down. Probably Bradbury as he seems to be the one who fills in for others at the back. I wonder if this is something that is maybe worked on a little over last week and this.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 15:17 If George and Aidan don't start scoring very soon then I can see Davies or Bradbury going up front earlier in games (or maybe even from the start) to at least cause some mayhem, if nothing else, with balls flicked on and knocked down. Probably Bradbury as he seems to be the one who fills in for others at the back. I wonder if this is something that is maybe worked on a little over last week and this.
Hopefully things won't get that desperate. But DC has gone for it in his early games with us. So I wouldn't write off any measures if chasing a game with 10 to 15 mins left. Shepherd as a big man up front? Can head and a sweet left foot!
As you said I hope these 2 weeks on the training ground has produced plenty of options. Late in the game with a 4 2 3 1
with Sercs, Harrop, Thomas as the 3 behind a big man up front after Lloyd/Keena have run their race should be one option. Hopefully see more of Harrop as well as not seen that much of him and what he can do.
All of them will be needed no doubt with that run in. A war of attrition against other teams playing the same number of games as us in the run in. Could well be decided by who 'wants it the most'