Darrell Clarke after Stevenage defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
nickyjordan
I want to apologise to our fans as the manager who has led us back into League Two, but certainly myself and the players, we felt we did everything and I am sure we'll bounce back.

No apology needed. You've turned a broken team around, gave us hope and made us proud. I hope you stay.
Oldun
With you there Nicky.....Desperate for DC to stay and take us back up to L1. He hasaclearly laid down the gauntlet to the Board and no doubt they want to keep him too. Please both sides, make if happen!
Robin
Hearing rumours we might be about to appoint a Director of Football and it's a face we all know. Unsure how that fits with keep Clarke for next season but I believe he worked with one at Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. Hopefully a bit of positive news on a really low day for the club.
Fuller
Saw a tweet from JP that there maybe another departure from the board of directors.
Not the chairman though.
Fuller
Robin wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:27 Hearing rumours we might be about to appoint a Director of Football and it's a face we all know. Unsure how that fits with keep Clarke for next season but I believe he worked with one at Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. Hopefully a bit of positive news on a really low day for the club.
Face we all know? Russell Milton?
Will he be tasked with finding a new manager if DC decides to move on?
Or perhaps a former manager ;)
ctfc-fan
Fuller wrote:Saw a tweet from JP that there maybe another departure from the board of directors.
Not the chairman though.
Paul Bence has had enough.
Basildon Robin
Commiserations for all at CTFC. Who would have thought it would go right to the wire after such a nightmare start to the season! Ps. Is that THE Nicky Jordan from the 1984/5 heroes I wonder? (Robins 2 Alvechurch 1).
Jerry St Clair
It's worth revisiting what Darrell said at the Fans' Forum on his future:

DC "When I came to the club, I came for the challenge. All I've been fixated on is keeping the club in L1 when nobody thought it was possible. I joined for that reason and I'm still massively focussed on that while the dream is alive. Enjoying my time here, really good people to work for, the supporters are fantastic.

I had a chat with the Chairman today....get me a plan. And by a plan I don't mean 'Get me an extra half a million on my playing budget'. I mean how we can improve things, how we move forward. A lot of those answers come from the budget and I get that. But I like to move forward. One of my biggest frustrations has been the training ground. We've been unfortunate with the rain, and I get that. But I'd much rather have better facilities, better everything in those depts when I can make my players better rather than go an get me half a million pounds on extra players. I think that's what this club is about. It's never been a club to spend money on players, pay ridiculous wages and get ourselves in financial trouble"

Questioner: Did you get a satisfactory answer from the Chairman when you asked that question?

DC: "Yeah, no. Well....listen. We're working towards a plan at a stakeholders meeting next week. I want to put my ideas forward. I don't want to swim in treacle each year, I want to move forward and keep growing. These guys do their best honestly they do. They care about this club and everybody's hearts in the right place, I wouldn't be sat here if that wasn't the case."
nickyjordan
Not the real Nicky Jordan. My favourite player as a kid!
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:56
Fuller wrote:Saw a tweet from JP that there maybe another departure from the board of directors.
Not the chairman though.
With him standing down, I think I can share now that when we appointed Wade he was the only director who wanted to appoint Matty Taylor from the final two candidates. We dodged a bullet for sure with that managerial appointment. Doesn't reflect on his overall time here but always something we was curious to me.
bigdavejambo
Fuller wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:37
Robin wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:27 Hearing rumours we might be about to appoint a Director of Football and it's a face we all know. Unsure how that fits with keep Clarke for next season but I believe he worked with one at Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. Hopefully a bit of positive news on a really low day for the club.
Face we all know? Russell Milton?
Will he be tasked with finding a new manager if DC decides to move on?
Or perhaps a former manager ;)
no way is Duff dropping down to League Two if thats what you are implying?
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:14
Not the chairman though.
With him standing down, I think I can share now that when we appointed Wade he was the only director who wanted to appoint Matty Taylor from the final two candidates. We dodged a bullet for sure with that managerial appointment. Doesn't reflect on his overall time here but always something we was curious to me.
Totally irrelevant comment and unproven. Mr Bence will be a great loss and it is a shame that he has made his decision because of disgraceful comments made. The stirrers and knockers are causing good people to say enough is enough.I hope they have a good look in the mirror today.
longmover
Barnsley are looking for a manager, logistically a good fit for DC.

#notagain
Mystified
Not the chairman though.
Whilst “we dodged a bullet for sure with that managerial appointment”, you could also argue that Paul Bence opted against the actual appointment Wade - and I don’t need to remind you of how that appointment went.

The board are between a rock and hard place and it’s hard to see how the club moves forward right now.

Are you we happy being a mid table league 2 club? Our financial position indicates that is our realistic ambition. But we’ve been spoilt with the taste for league 1 and even dream of becoming competitive in it.

This is a new problem for the board - and I for one would love to see how they propose to make this step.
asl
Mystified wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:38 you could also argue that Paul Bence opted against the actual appointment Wade - and I don’t need to remind you of how that appointment went.
Pretty damned well in the first year, unless my memory fails me? Yep...I've just checked the final 2023 League 1 table - it went exceedingly well: and we had our second highest ever finish.
Si Robin
Second highest ever finish and a penalty away from Wembley.

With disasters like that, who needs success.
Robin
Mystified wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:38
Whilst “we dodged a bullet for sure with that managerial appointment”, you could also argue that Paul Bence opted against the actual appointment Wade - and I don’t need to remind you of how that appointment went.

The board are between a rock and hard place and it’s hard to see how the club moves forward right now.

Are you we happy being a mid table league 2 club? Our financial position indicates that is our realistic ambition. But we’ve been spoilt with the taste for league 1 and even dream of becoming competitive in it.

This is a new problem for the board - and I for one would love to see how they propose to make this step.
Taylor would have been a disaster but I always felt it was good that there was at least one board member willing to push back and speak out if they had a different opinion. Nobody ever gets a managerial appointment right and Wade went on to do OK overall even if the full was dull as dish water to watch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 20:12 Second highest ever finish and a penalty away from Wembley.

With disasters like that, who needs success.
One of the best ever seasons. Especially the last ten games. Sheff Wed, FGR, MK etc.

Wade and his team provided some of our best ever memories.
robinsrule
Mystified wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:38

It’s easy to make a plan that sounds great though - it’s sticking to it which is the problem. How does any government get into power in the UK? Basically by lying and making grand statements which they know they can’t fulfill to hoodwink the public into voting for them. Are you suggesting that the board tries to sell us a dream?

We’ve had one of the lowest League One budgets for the last 3 years so it was really only a miracle (Alfie May’s goals) that allowed us to survive.

Don’t get me wrong - there is absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, and the board should be actively trying to grow the fanbase focussing on kids in particular, but trying to do this on the back of a relegation is difficult. If the board gives DC the money he wants and we don’t get instant promotion it puts us in a difficult position again.

Thankfully, a couple of the big boys in Wrexham, Mansfield and Stockport have gone up, and hopefully Doncaster will be promoted with them. Swindon look to be their usual shambolic selves so Notts County and Bradford look to be the two biggest clubs in the division. I imagine Carlisle will also be a threat.

If we hang on to a few of our better players and DC (or whoever replaces him) recruits well then I don’t see why we can’t push for the playoffs at least next season.
Mystified
asl wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:55
Mystified wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 19:38 you could also argue that Paul Bence opted against the actual appointment Wade - and I don’t need to remind you of how that appointment went.
Pretty damned well in the first year, unless my memory fails me? Yep...I've just checked the final 2023 League 1 table - it went exceedingly well: and we had our second highest ever finish.
DC has the 5th highest finish in all of Cheltenham Towns 125 odd league history - but I’m not hearing you cheer that, I just hear more nonsense from you bashing volunteer board members with hearsay comments (you’re supposed to be admin???) and not liking WE criticised for some bizarre reason.

Wade unfortunately was out of his depth. And I am extremely grateful for DC coming in and the point in my message was that the board are in a difficult place. The supporters have a taste for L1 football and we finally have a manager who can lift us up that table, yet the board have no budget to even compete in L2

But yeah, let’s bash board members and have a pop at me for suggesting WE was very fortunate to have had the opportunity but ultimately was not the right appointment. Utterly ridiculous from you again.
Si Robin
Are you sure you know who you're talking to in that post? I've not seen a single post from asl bashing the board.

Wade was not a poor appointment. His first year proves that. DC has even said that Wade's hands were completely tied in the summer. Imagine turning up to work as a football manager and having no support staff at all to help with training.

I always seem to sound like a Wade apologist, but I've never got the s#!t he received last year. As asl said, our second highest ever position is not to be sniffed at - nor is the semis of the Pizza Cup. There were disasters along the way, but he did a good job last year before being absolutely shat on from a great height. When Moore went and took the recruitment team and experienced first team coach with him, Wade was expected to just get on with it. The board, whether you like to admit it or not, were responsible for that. They had no plan for when Moore went and Wade felt the brunt of it.

He'll probably never be a head coach again, but he should have left with his head held high.
asl
Thanks Si. Yes, go on, Mystified: find some examples of me 'bashing the board'. Also, I said on Saturday that it was remarkable that we could still stay up on the last day of the season - I'm not certain I could celebrate relegation, however, so maybe I'll give you that one and I hope you had a party to laud the achievement.

Yes, I think WE got a lot of unwarranted vitriol, particularly from the nomarks on Facebook. Yes, he had to go after our start, this season. Do I feel sorry for the guy? Yes.
bigdavejambo
would compensation need paying for DC or do you think there is a getout clause?
Si Robin
Obviously no-one knows if there is a break clause, but I've worked on the assumption that there isn't.
Jerry St Clair
“Bashing the Board” is a pejorative way of describing the debate anyway. It’s not a binary issue: I accept that the Board are well-intentioned, good people doing it for the love of the club.

I also think they are imperfect and there is plenty of room for improvement and constructive criticism of how they run the club is valid.

Both things can be true.
Jerry St Clair
On Wade; I suspect it was his personality. Your average football fan likes fire, brimstone, optimism and passion from their managers. DC has that in spades.

Wade was quiet, thoughtful, cautious and pessimistic/realistic.

The bar for criticism is much lower for that kind of coach.
Si Robin
I completely agree.

I liked Wade, but listening to his interviews was painful. Reading them was much easier.
Mystified
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 09:10 On Wade; I suspect it was his personality. Your average football fan likes fire, brimstone, optimism and passion from their managers. DC has that in spades.

Wade was quiet, thoughtful, cautious and pessimistic/realistic.

The bar for criticism is much lower for that kind of coach.
With WE it was more to do with the “we are Cheltenham so we are going to get battered a few times this season” attitude. It drove me nuts!

With DC, we have an attitude of we don’t care who you are, we will try to find a way to win.

As you raised an interesting point about characters I thought I’d add I’m also a quiet thoughtful person but no way would I have had the mentality of anything but “we will find a way to win”, and I’m not alone there.

And herein is a big problem. I’m not alone in thinking this. Supporters have the privilege of having a manager with a positive mindset, one that believes they can find a way. The board don’t have the resources or time.

What I believe I am seeing is a very difficult situation in that the mindset of DC and supporters appear to be at odds with that of the board (and even some posters on here in reality). And that is why it must be an impossible job at the moment.
asl
Mystified wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 09:34 The board don’t have the resources or time.
That's possibly closer to 'board bashing' than anything I've posted regarding the board... Still looking for those examples...?
Mystified
asl wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 09:44
That's possibly closer to 'board bashing' than anything I've posted regarding the board... Still looking for those examples...?
ASL, the comment was to Robin, not you.
Robin
Mystified wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 10:03
Hold on where exactly have I had a pop at you? If you count me highlighting the fact that the board are not full time and volunteers and that I believe we would benefit from having some professional accountability (with transparent targets and plans) as board bashing then yes I'm absolutely guilty of that but I defy you to find one post where I've given them grief that would warrant being described as board bashing or abuse.
asl
You need to be more careful with the posts you quote then, as Robin did not feature in the ones you commented on.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 10:07

Hold on where exactly have I had a pop at you? If you count me highlighting the fact that the board are not full time and volunteers and that I believe we would benefit from having some professional accountability (with transparent targets and plans) as board bashing then yes I'm absolutely guilty of that but I defy you to find one post where I've given them grief that would warrant being described as board bashing or abuse.
Constant references to "amateurs" and no respect for their business achievements and background for starters. Addressing them by surnames, reminds me of up themselves Headmasters from school.
horlickfanclub
horlickfanclub wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 13:09
Robin wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 10:07

Constant references to "amateurs" and no respect for their business achievements and background for starters. Addressing them by surnames, reminds me of up themselves Headmasters from school. We have professional accountability as accounts have to be produced within the laws of the country and C.T.F.C. is bound by its Articles of Association.