Cheltenham Town v Oxford United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Garby74
Is that the first time you been since 1999 Ben?!
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 18:52 Doesn't need to be captain. As many managers have said before, they all need to be leaders whether they have the armband or not.
Didn't say he did it didn't need to be one, just wondering would he be DC choice next year if still here
Broadway Brian
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 19:24 Also loved it today when it kicked off on the second half between Brannigan and Bevan (I think?) a number of our players waded in to back each other up. That wouldn't have happened two months ago.
Yes. 100%.

That will take us far.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 19:53 Are the BBC stats really correct? Makes it look like Oxford were on top!
Reasonably even on shots, and possession is a poor indicator of which team was on top - I wish they stopped reporting possession stats because people pay far too much attention to it.
Alf
If we’d sat back and let Oxford come at us and build their confidence it could have been a different outcome. You don’t get to second in the league by being a poor side.
Our ‘attack and press’ tactics from the start put them in a situation that they struggled to cope with. It will hopefully now give our players the confidence they were lacking when DC took over.
We made them look what they were today. If we’d sat back and let them come at us it may have been a different story.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 08:47 If we’d sat back and let Oxford come at us and build their confidence it could have been a different outcome. You don’t get to second in the league by being a poor side.
Our ‘attack and press’ tactics from the start put them in a situation that they struggled to cope with. It will hopefully now give our players the confidence they were lacking when DC took over.
We made them look what they were today. If we’d sat back and let them come at us it may have been a different story.
Dare I quote my post from August saying I wanted to see that very tactic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 16:25
Kick off routine is about percentages.

Both sides are vulnerable to an instant goal before they settle into the game and get warmed up. So by lofting down the channel it a) gets the ball away from your goal but more importantly b) gives you a chance to box the opposition in or at least c) get a throw-in and possession in their third.

It happens at all levels. When we (or others) do it well it can be three or four minutes before the opposition get a touch in our half as the game shifts towards their box and our back line shifts up. That can set the momentum for the game.

Conversely, when we pass it back and hold on to the ball it enables the opposition to press us back and make sure the game starts in our own defensive third.

When you hear commentators saying “x side has bossed the first five minutes” or “y side hasn’t got into the game yet in the first five minutes” it is because one team has been pushed back and penned in from kick off.

Personally, I like to see the ball played continuously down the channels. The more the opposition defenders are running towards their own goal and being pressured down the channels. This is one reason I like 4-3-3.

With 4–3-3 you ping it down the channel at any opportunity. One of the attackers presses the ball. One blocks the easy pass. One stays central. Two midfielders move up to pick up the second ball or block a passing triangle escape.

Kettle the opponents in. Force errors.

viewtopic.php?p=344651
paperboy
Benctfc
Another great win.

There are two big changes that have made us more effective since Clarke came in. First one being out fitness is far superior. Under Wade we were always the team flagging in the last 20 mins now it is the opposite and we look much fitter. The other is we seem to playing percentage football and going more direct using Goodwin as a focal point. I think we all know we haven't got the players to play nice passing football so we seem to be picking what i would class as our most physical team each week and it's working as team like Oxford aren't up for the fight.

It's also not rocket science the more times you get the ball into the opponents final third the more chance you have of picking up a second ball or getting on the end of something like Goodwin's goal yesterday. People might not like direct football but as long as we are winning football matches i couldn't care how the wins come.
shevates
Shade wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 13:58 Thompson and Ferry out :(

With no Thompson or Bonds, be interesting to see who gets that spot. Especially with Chapman, Adshead and Olayinka basically out of the picture.
Were a better side without Bonds, we get the ball forward quicker, were not caught in pocession as much. In my view Pett and Thompson are better for our team. Just my belief
Nesty
as Will I Am would say "AWESOM£"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 10:03

With no Thompson or Bonds, be interesting to see who gets that spot. Especially with Chapman, Adshead and Olayinka basically out of the picture.
Were a better side without Bonds, we get the ball forward quicker, were not caught in pocession as much. In my view Pett and Thompson are better for our team. Just my belief
I agree with that observation Shev. Think you call it right.
PittvillePundit
Oxford league position suggests that they must have been playing well.

As such yesterday surely some of how poorly they played was down to how WE didn't ALLOW them to play well?

Which augers well.

Don't know what DC is feeding them but it must be good!
Shade
Just watched the highlights. Think there may have been a few Oxford fans in the home areas judging by the extremely uninterested bunch in front of where Street celebrated his goal
Warwickshire Robin
shevates wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 10:03

It certainly looks like that at the moment however I think we have to see more of Bonds in DC's system before we judge completely. He may have been slow to pass as he had nothing to pass to previously, but now he might have instructions to get it forward quicker.

Bonds is a good player and hopefully DC & Co will improve him more the way they have already done with others when he's back fit.
Horteng
Great win Saturday. Amazing how Darrell has managed to get a tune out of the players. I love his no nonsense approach. I should imagine the training ground/ sessions and expectations is a stark contrast to life under Wade in terms of work rate, discipline etc.

One thing I didn't like in the highlights was congratulating the fouled player when the Oxford man got sent off.
shevates
Horteng wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 07:36 Great win Saturday. Amazing how Darrell has managed to get a tune out of the players. I love his no nonsense approach. I should imagine the training ground/ sessions and expectations is a stark contrast to life under Wade in terms of work rate, discipline etc.

One thing I didn't like in the highlights was congratulating the fouled player when the Oxford man got sent off.
One thing I didnt like was Street got a hand shake when he got sent off, should of been a boot up his arse. He could of cost us 3 points, fortunately his team mates rose to the occasion and bailed him out
Shade
Horteng wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 07:36 Great win Saturday. Amazing how Darrell has managed to get a tune out of the players. I love his no nonsense approach. I should imagine the training ground/ sessions and expectations is a stark contrast to life under Wade in terms of work rate, discipline etc.

Maybe they were congratulating Williams for getting stuck in and winning the ball? It's not like he dived to get the player sent off, so why not congratulate him on good play which meant we had a much better chance of winning the game?

Having just watched it again, Lloyd gives him a simple pat on the chest while he's sat on the floor, Sercs gives him a hand up and a bit of a 'good work', and Freestone is pumped up because Williams has done his job and made the Oxford player get himself sent off. It's hardly like they're all going round high-fiving him. :?
Shade
shevates wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 09:34

One thing I didnt like was Street got a hand shake when he got sent off, should of been a boot up his arse. He could of cost us 3 points, fortunately his team mates rose to the occasion and bailed him out
Good job DC is the manager and has better man-management skills than you, then :lol:
If we'd gone on to lose, what we really needed was to put all the blame on a striker who has just started finding some form. As DC said after the match, he asks his players to be aggressive and get stuck in and sometimes they're going to go a little over the line, he's not going to hang his player out for making a mistake.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 12:51

Good job DC is the manager and has better man-management skills than you, then :lol:
If we'd gone on to lose, what we really needed was to put all the blame on a striker who has just started finding some form. As DC said after the match, he asks his players to be aggressive and get stuck in and sometimes they're going to go a little over the line, he's not going to hang his player out for making a mistake.
Love the fight DC has instilled in the players.

Reminiscent of moments like Danny Wright’s exuberant celebration against Grimsby in the Champions season which was deemed to overstep the mark.

“F—k them up, get into them” as the popular terrace chant goes.
shevates

A mistake, he blatantly assaulted the player by elbowing him in the face. If it had been a mistimed tackle I can understand that. Clearly youve been brought up as a violent thug. Idiot
Si Robin
Lost his cool in a moment of stupidity. We've all been there, including yourself no doubt.

Just because Shade doesn't immediately want him pilloried makes him neither a thug nor an idiot.

EDIT - Not that Shade needs me to defend his opinion
QED
Street red card wasn’t one of those borderline things, it was either deliberate and violent or accidental and clumsy as hell, but either way it was a red all day long at any level. Given the match situation it wasn’t really a handshake situation but the bench probably couldn’t see anything from where they were, and his goal was a banger
Si Robin
DC said on Thursday that there are 12 or 13 players in the squad up to the standard - Street is clearly one of those. He's not going to throw him under the bus over a mistake.

If Street had form for doing this sort of thing and it was the 3rd or 4th time he'd been sent off for it, then I'd get it, but he hasn't and he doesn't have that sort of reputation either. He's a young lad who made a mistake - fortunately it wasn't as costly as it could have been.

DC and Muzza get behind their players and need them for the siege mentality we've got going on. Shake his hand, call him a silly boy, then move on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I’d rather we play on the edge and occasionally go over board like Street did, than play timidly and without fight like earlier the season.

Did the players getting themselves worked up and aggressive help us get on top of Oxford and win the game? Yes.

On this occasion a player got carried away and went in too hard and too violently. That will happen. We need the team to start the next game with the same level of aggression and fight as they did on Saturday, which is why DC isn’t going to criticise players for being over aggressive.
Shade
shevates wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 15:11

A mistake, he blatantly assaulted the player by elbowing him in the face. If it had been a mistimed tackle I can understand that. Clearly youve been brought up as a violent thug. Idiot
I'll assume you were having a Street-like moment of madness when insulting me for no real reason, and will refrain from retaliating, as I'm not a thug, nor an idiot.

See, it happens.
Malabus
Shade wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 16:16 Just watched the highlights. Think there may have been a few Oxford fans in the home areas judging by the extremely uninterested bunch in front of where Street celebrated his goal
I came to the same conclusion after viewing the highlights.
shevates
Shade wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 16:38

I'll assume you were having a Street-like moment of madness when insulting me for no real reason, and will refrain from retaliating, as I'm not a thug, nor an idiot.

See, it happens.
I will apologise Shade for the remark of calling you an idiot. Let me tell you why I said it. I very rarely criticise peoples remarks in here as we all have views and see things differently.
A few weeks back you posted a message regarding 14 Cheltenham Fans arrested for being involved in skirmishes in town, which you couldnt argue against, and they have been punished. You even questioned them to be Cheltenham fans.
I see no difference in what Street done. It was deliberate in my view, he done that infront of over 5,000 people a large percentage of those were minors. I feel its not the way to lead by example in that manor, especially to the kids so they believe its ok to do so, as theyve seen there hero do it.
My major concern is that we have, as a team improved immensely since DC arrival, he has made it clear that this is down to 14/15 who he believes in, and we will lose Street for 3 games, not whats needed.
Again I apologise Shade.
Shade
shevates wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 09:10
Shade wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 16:38

See, it happens.
I will apologise Shade for the remark of calling you an idiot. Let me tell you why I said it. I very rarely criticise peoples remarks in here as we all have views and see things differently.
A few weeks back you posted a message regarding 14 Cheltenham Fans arrested for being involved in skirmishes in town, which you couldnt argue against, and they have been punished. You even questioned them to be Cheltenham fans.
I see no difference in what Street done. It was deliberate in my view, he done that infront of over 5,000 people a large percentage of those were minors. I feel its not the way to lead by example in that manor, especially to the kids so they believe its ok to do so, as theyve seen there hero do it.
My major concern is that we have, as a team improved immensely since DC arrival, he has made it clear that this is down to 14/15 who he believes in, and we will lose Street for 3 games, not whats needed.
Again I apologise Shade.
Thank you.
I'm not saying it wasn't bad. Earlier in the match thread, when it happened, I called him a prat for doing it, said it was deliberate and a deserved red. In my reply to you, I repeated what DC said on the radio. I should have stated that at that point he said he hadn't watched it back. He may have since changed his mind after viewing it from the TV angle and given him a bollocking and a fine behind closed doors. However, on closer viewing, Street's arm clearly makes contact with the Oxford players chest when he's in the air and then rises into his chin as he drops back to the ground. It's not as bad as an elbow to the face. The player was ok after a couple of minutes, no facial injury, and you didn't see Oxford players piling in like he'd just assaulted their mate. In my opinion it was a bad, reckless challenge and a red card, but it wasn't assault or akin to pub brawl (of which I haven't seen any footage).
shevates
I dont know what video you watched shade, he didnt jump was more like a step and clearly elbowed him in the face not his chest. In fact im convinced he actually looked at him before elbowing him. What ever it was it was plain stupid of him and weve lost a player who was playing so well with Goodwin for 3 games
horlickfanclub
shevates wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 12:48 I dont know what video you watched shade, he didnt jump was more like a step and clearly elbowed him in the face not his chest. In fact im convinced he actually looked at him before elbowing him. What ever it was it was plain stupid of him and weve lost a player who was playing so well with Goodwin for 3 games
You are convinced correctly Shevates.He did look at him first. We also have lost Williams for tonight on a suspension and a doubt about Ferry being fit. He needs to learn how to tackle properly. He was playing well but can be thoughtless.
Glad to see us getting stuck in a bit more but it needs to be done with intelligence especially with a red card stickler as referee.
Shade
shevates wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 12:48 I dont know what video you watched shade, he didnt jump was more like a step and clearly elbowed him in the face not his chest. In fact im convinced he actually looked at him before elbowing him. What ever it was it was plain stupid of him and weve lost a player who was playing so well with Goodwin for 3 games
If you pause it or play it slow you can see that, when the Oxford player is in the air, Street’s arm hits the Oxford player in the upper chest. It’s clearly below his face when contact is first made, as this pic shows Image

As the Oxford player comes down Street’s arm doesn’t really move, meaning the Oxford player takes it in the chin. Yes, it was stupid and yes he looked and then turned away as his arm made contact.
horlickfanclub
He lined him up. The ref saw it.I saw it.Shev saw it. Red card.
Si Robin
Quite sure no-one has disputed it being a red card
Shade
Indeed. I can't be much more clear that I agree it's a red card, and I was the first on here to say it. I'm just saying he didn't elbow him in the face.

Anyway, time to move on to tonights game...