Oxford United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
...have travellers in their car park, but the match goes ahead.
Potential for disturbances one would think.
Some amusing and inappropriate comments here.

https://twitter.com/OUFCOfficial/status ... N_dig&s=19
Warwickshire Robin
Also seemingly on the verge of losing their Manager to Bristol City.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... eplacement
longmover
Manning gone to City, this could bode very well for us in two weeks time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Could be a Cotterill job.
andgarod
we kept them up last season
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 13:53 Could be a Cotterill job.
He turned them down years ago and if it is still the same people in charge, I don't think he will be joining them,
Shade
Don't think Kassam owns the club anymore, just the ground/land. Even still...
Robin
They won't take Cotts there, his style of play is the total opposite of what Manning has them playing. Could see the Cowley's being interested but also being overlooked for a more progressive younger coach.

Also I heard Cotts had applied for the Bristol Rovers job, could certainly see that happening but may not be too popular given he managed Bristol City with great success.
longmover
Robin wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 11:52 They won't take Cotts there, his style of play is the total opposite of what Manning has them playing. Could see the Cowley's being interested but also being overlooked for a more progressive younger coach.

Also I heard Cotts had applied for the Bristol Rovers job, could certainly see that happening but may not be too popular given he managed Bristol City with great success.
Seems like the Cowley's have been out of the game for some time now, I can see them being overlooked for a few jobs now, they seem 'dated', maybe that's just me.
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 12:52
Robin wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 11:52 They won't take Cotts there, his style of play is the total opposite of what Manning has them playing. Could see the Cowley's being interested but also being overlooked for a more progressive younger coach.

Seems like the Cowley's have been out of the game for some time now, I can see them being overlooked for a few jobs now, they seem 'dated', maybe that's just me.
They sound like a circus act - the magnificent flying Cowley's
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Luckily we already got DC.
Jerry St Clair
They’ve just appointed Des Buckingham as new first team coach. Currently boss of Mumbai City, but he’s Oxford born and and Oxford fan.

Cracking timing for our game against them in a couple of weeks with an enthusiastic, sold out away following backing their home coming new manager. Joy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 17:49 They’ve just appointed Des Buckingham as new first team coach. Currently boss of Mumbai City, but he’s Oxford born and and Oxford fan.

Cracking timing for our game against them in a couple of weeks with an enthusiastic, sold out away following backing their home coming new manager. Joy.
A manager used to Indian football who won’t know what’s hit him in EFL1.
Grumpy Git
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 22:50
Jerry St Clair wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 17:49 They’ve just appointed Des Buckingham as new first team coach. Currently boss of Mumbai City, but he’s Oxford born and and Oxford fan.

A manager used to Indian football who won’t know what’s hit him in EFL1.
He was part of the City Football Group (Man City). Recently Charlton and Lincoln both approached him for their vacant managers jobs, but he turned them down. He was at Oxford in 2014, so a homecoming.
They're 2nd, are the leading goal scorers with the best goal difference….. will be a cracking game.
Shade
Just been looking at his career to date. I have to say, this seems like a massive risk for a club that have had such a good start in League One. "Long-term contract", as well. Didn't make it as a professional player, just had a youth career at Reading and Oxford. I guess it's nice to see a new face get a chance, though, and not the same failed managers getting another chance at mediocrity.

I assume he will just keep the team as it has been so far this season, but he's managed:
Wellington Phoenix
New Zealand U20
New Zealand U23
Melbourne City (caretaker)
Mumbai City

117 games in total with 65 wins. Not to be sniffed at, but at what kind of level.
longmover
Shade wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 14:50 Just been looking at his career to date. I have to say, this seems like a massive risk for a club that have had such a good start in League One. "Long-term contract", as well. Didn't make it as a professional player, just had a youth career at Reading and Oxford. I guess it's nice to see a new face get a chance, though, and not the same failed managers getting another chance at mediocrity.

I assume he will just keep the team as it has been so far this season, but he's managed:
Wellington Phoenix
New Zealand U20
New Zealand U23
Melbourne City (caretaker)
Mumbai City

117 games in total with 65 wins. Not to be sniffed at, but at what kind of level.
The trend now is to find the next "Kieran Mckenna", I presume he's cheaper than 'other' options and as you say its a big risk considering how well they have started. Can't see him seeing out the season if they fall by the wayside.