Big TV/streaming changes for next season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RobinHood
Sky have just announced some big TV changes for next season. Appears every EFL team will be available on Sky’s new streaming platform at least 20 times a season.

On the surface that does suggest to me that’s at least 20 games which won’t be a Sat 3pm KO, unless the blackout rules don’t apply to the EFL the same way.
hookyrobin
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... per-season

The Blackout will still apply, so it means a lot of games being rearranged (an average of 16 per League Two club, I believe)

From the linked site (so Sky are unlikely to highlight the downsides!)

Increased notice for fans

With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup third round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed.

Article 48 to remain

The new deal allows for 'Article 48', the blocked broadcast period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturday afternoons to remain, meaning that main broadcast fixtures will be scheduled for outside of this time. Final fixture slots will be confirmed at a later date.

Domestic Streaming

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL's domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.

Enhanced production values and camera numbers

The EFL and Sky Sports will continue to work together to innovate, seeking opportunities to improve coverage and take viewers closer to the action, while the EFL will be investing significantly in production infrastructure to enhance the viewing experience. Sky Sports will have a minimum of eight cameras for each game broadcast on existing channels. For matches available to stream, Sky commentary will be provided and a minimum of four cameras will be used at Championship and League One matches, and a minimum of two cameras in League Two.
longmover
Like the way Sky now seem to "care" about the EFL now they've increased competition for the premier league :lol:
HamTown
good that those of us who live "abroad" can carry on watching ifollow
Jerry St Clair
Some games will be rearranged at very short notice, whatever they say.

TV has a long and glorious history of shifting games on a whim without a care in the world for match-attending fans.
bigdavejambo
RobinHood wrote: 08 May 2024, 11:49 Sky have just announced some big TV changes for next season. Appears every EFL team will be available on Sky’s new streaming platform at least 20 times a season.

On the surface that does suggest to me that’s at least 20 games which won’t be a Sat 3pm KO, unless the blackout rules don’t apply to the EFL the same way.

the '20 times' includes midweek games which arent affected by the 3pm blackout.
Shade
Just had a look through last season's fixtures and, although it's not easy to remember which games were originally scheduled for Tuesday's and which were Saturday postponements, I think we had 12 games throughout the season that were scheduled not to be on a Saturday at 3pm. That includes the Christmas/New Year fixtures and the Easter games. So, I'm thinking probably 8-12 games will be rearranged from Saturday 3pm to Friday evenings, Saturday lunchtime or evenings, Sunday's or Monday evenings, although I'm not sure what slots they're using for the. EFL games yet, especially League Two, because you know Championship games and then L1 games will take the best slots. Of those 8-12 games, you'd hope it's generally even as to whether they're home or away.
duckers
I don’t understand why the 3pm blackout doesn’t continue just for Premier League games and lifted for leagues below, at least from One and Two. If they are going to show more lower league games on TV, why not put them on at 3pm. The rule was designed to encourage people to go and watch their local team, rather than watch Man Utd or Liverpool playing on on TV. Newport v Crewe or Leyton Orient v Exeter isn’t going to have the same effect, is it?
andgarod
and how much extra is it going to cost the punter
how much more will the club get
Sky and the EFL will make more out of it
I will probably be 'abroad' most of the time and watch via iFollow
paperboy
duckers wrote: 09 May 2024, 06:05 I don’t understand why the 3pm blackout doesn’t continue just for Premier League games and lifted for leagues below, at least from One and Two. If they are going to show more lower league games on TV, why not put them on at 3pm. The rule was designed to encourage people to go and watch their local team, rather than watch Man Utd or Liverpool playing on on TV. Newport v Crewe or Leyton Orient v Exeter isn’t going to have the same effect, is it?
Part of the argument is that clubs like eg Bishops Cleeve would be affected by Cheltenham Town fans sitting in their armchairs watching the Robins on tv rather than getting some fresh air.
Shade
I believe the clubs themselves voted to keep the blackout. I seem to remember Paul Godfrey explaining why it's beneficial for Cheltenham for it to remain.
RobinHood
I’d also question the necessity of broadcasting (or streaming on red button) most League 2 games.

Say for example you’ve got Cheltenham vs Morecambe and it’s 12th vs 17th in March 2025. Realistically how many people are going to be watching that on TV? Less than 1000?

If that game was selected they’d have to move it to either 12:30 or 17:30 slot, which would mess with the match going fans too, shaving a good % of the attendance at the ground.
bigdavejambo
the streaming of midweek games will affect attendances as people might not fancy watching Cheltenham v Barrow on a freezing cold February night when they can sit at home with a beer and watch it
paperboy
A Carlisle FC view here.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2431 ... -efl-deal/

Maybe, it will also make clubs think harder about the value of having modern LED pitchside advertising systems which many on here have suggested in the past.